Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
ToxicAngel
ToxicAngel began at the beginning.

Foreign languages support?

Does eReader gonna work properly with txt and rtf files written on romanic languages other than English ?( russian, french)
ToxicAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Russian is not a "romanic" language. And no, it doesn't work out of box. French and other western languages should work though.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
ToxicAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Russian is not a "romanic" language. And no, it doesn't work out of box. French and other western languages should work though.
thanks for a quick reply.
is there anyway to make eReader support Russian accept using pdf files?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
For Russian, see here and here.
P.S. the name is Reader, not "eReader".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
ToxicAngel

Thanks a lot!!!
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
njt
Enthusiast
njt began at the beginning.

so--- what would one need to do to get japanese to display instead of say Russian /French . (can't read russian and yeah... looks kinda scary to try blindly .)
njt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
All fonts embeded PDFs outputed by pdfFactory would work properly in Reader. Documents produced by other PDF tools, such as Adobe Acrobat Pro, would have some problems in Reader, especially for Asian language.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
odklizec
odklizec began at the beginning.

Hi folks. I'm interested in purchasing Sony reader, but as it looks, it's capable of reading only western texts? That's really bad news for me Older Librie has been capable of reading both western and eastern texts. Could anyone, please, test the below two text files (both contains few Czech and Slovak characters) and if possible show me a screenshot? Thank you in advance!

http://filexoom.com/files/23998/sony_uni.txt
http://filexoom.com/files/23998/sony_utf8.txt
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Here is what your text files look like in the Sony Connect Software. It looks exactly the same in the Reader itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_uni.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2191  
Attached Images

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 11-16-2006 at 12:17 PM.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
odklizec

Thank you for test! Unfortunately, the result is exactly what I expected. Although the utf8 file looks better, it's still incorrect Too bad Sony did not include full unicode font support in the reader. Hope someone find the way how to replace the standard reader fonts with custom fonts.

Last edited by odklizec; 11-16-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odklizec
Hope someone find the way how to replace the standard reader fonts with custom fonts.
Have a look at this thread, odklizec. It's a long thread but igorsk has figured out how to do this, and details are in there.

It's still in the 'brutal hack' stage, but I'm hoping a more user-friendly version will emerge before long.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by odklizec
Thank you for test! Unfortunately, the result is exactly what I expected. Although the utf8 file looks better, it's still incorrect Too bad Sony did not include full unicode font support in the reader. Hope someone find the way how to replace the standard reader fonts with custom fonts.
Just install the "Russified" (Cyrillized) image. The fonts in that image have Eastern European support as well, Czech and Slovak, and Polish, etc.
If they didn't teach you at school to read Russian, you are going to have to translate the instructions, or ask one of your friends who took Russian at school. See the igorsk's links up in this thread. The bottom line is, Eastern European Unicode support is available, although not straight out of the box.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
odklizec

Thanks for info guys! I'm now examining both links and cleaning dust from my ancient Russian..
Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #14
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi odklizec, are you Czech? If you update the fonts in Reader (as suggeted by igorsk and porkupan), you can read Czech texts with no problem. BTW, it's easier then it may seem. The biggest issue is to get Reader from USA to Europe :-) Contact me if you need any help directly in czech language ;-)
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
odklizec

Yep, I'm Czech (and Slovak too ). Thanks for info about Russian update! I don't have Sony reader yet, but I'm about to buy one ASAP. It's not a problem for me to get the reader from USA to Europe, as I'm buying all gadgets like this from ebay. The only problem is the actual "ebay" price, which is now well over the Sony MSRP. Most probably because of limited stock of readers