Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
How to reduce indents without "removing space between paragraphs"

I'm sure there is a simple solution but I have yet to figure out what it is.

How does one change the indent size of a .prc without being forced to select "remove spacing between paragraphs?" I do not want to change spacing anywhere in the document, just reduce the indents.

Thus far, I have been converting .prc => epub, editing the css, then converting epub => .mobi. The problem with this method is that the original .prc contains enlarged font in the first letter of each chapter and this is lost during the above conversion.

The original .prc is just fine with the exception of the indent size.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
How does one change the indent size of a .prc without being forced to select "remove spacing between paragraphs?" I do not want to change spacing anywhere in the document, just reduce the indents.

The original .prc is just fine with the exception of the indent size.
On my reader I set my css for indents. Try adding

p {text-indent:1.1em;}
div {text-indent:1.1em;}

(adjust size to suit) to the Extra CSS area of Calibre prior to conversion.

What I usually do is set both Remove spacing between paragraphs and Insert blank line in my default conversion. This gives me the indent size I want and the space between paragraphs I like.

The blank line is created by adding a .5em margin above and below each paragraph. As you noted though Remove spacing between paragraphs does change spacing throughout the document.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-31-2010 at 12:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added the lines to extra CSS prior to conversion but they had no effect whatsoever. I changed indent sizes with three attempts but the result was the same. This while converting from .prc to .mobi.

Additionally, the first letter of each chapter is still being replaced with the same font size as the text, so Calibre must be doing something in the conversion that is beyond my limited knowledge.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I added the lines to extra CSS prior to conversion but they had no effect whatsoever. I changed indent sizes with three attempts but the result was the same. This while converting from .prc to .mobi.

Additionally, the first letter of each chapter is still being replaced with the same font size as the text, so Calibre must be doing something in the conversion that is beyond my limited knowledge.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Skydog, search in the Sigil section for "dropcap". There are a few ways to do that.

You need to place/adjust the text-indent settings in the proper place(s)
Look at the source-view to see what a normal <p .... starts with (not the Dropcap <p )
That is where the text-indent belongs (I use 1em on my PEz)
remember the continuation ( on the line above or it will not work
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Skydog, search in the Sigil section for "dropcap". There are a few ways to do that.

You need to place/adjust the text-indent settings in the proper place(s)
Look at the source-view to see what a normal <p .... starts with (not the Dropcap <p )
That is where the text-indent belongs (I use 1em on my PEz)
remember the continuation ( on the line above or it will not work
Yes, I have been replacing the text-indent settings by converting twice. Once, converting with debug selected, correcting settings, then converting again. I was hoping there might be a simpler method.

Thanks for the advice regarding the dropcaps.
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes, I have been replacing the text-indent settings by converting twice. Once, converting with debug selected, correcting settings, then converting again. I was hoping there might be a simpler method.

Thanks for the advice regarding the dropcaps.
In Sigil, Edit the text_indent: in the proper section of the CSS file.
Save
done
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote