Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Yayafava
Yayafava is on a distinguished road

Device: JBL
Ordered my JBL what do I do next?

Okay I've been downloading some epubs and other stuff.

Can I prepare an SD card while I'm waiting or do I need to hook up JBL to computer for transfer of software?

Also is there a limitation of size of SD card? Can a SDHC card be used?

I went to JB site and there is a manual to download but it is only for the JB not the JBL. Would I be wasting my time reading this while I'm waiting? Is it basically the same as the manual for the JBL? hmmm that presupposes that someone of you has both machines. : )

Anything else I should know as I am a total novice to this all?

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions, but I do love to be prepared. And this forum has so much helpful information but after awhile I get lost as there is so much wonderful tech stuff that I do not understand as of yet. : )
So I decided to just post my question and see what answers I get.
Yayafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Ok I'll try to take this one step at a time.

yes, you can prepare an SD card. I would suggest finding one with an adapter, or you can buy an adapter separate for about 3$. Vastly improved file transfer speeds compared to the Jetbooks USB cord.

Yes, should be able to use an SDHC card as well, running a 4 gig in my original jetbook.
I "think" it will support up to 32 gig, but thats insanely huge. I've got over 3,000 books on my 4 gig card and I'm using just over 1/4th of it. That being said, I've often seen 4 and 8 gig cards cheaper than 1 and 2's. Depends I think on demand. My wife recently bought an SDHC card and it came with an adapter. Basicly the card slides into a slot on one end, other end is a USB plug. So it turns any SD card into a flashdrive. Very simple, easy to use, and as I said faster transfer speeds.

I would read the manual, the 2 are quite similar, the Jetbook lite is missing a few functions. Like the MP3 player. But otherwise they are almost identical. Be a good way to kill some time while your waiting in my opinion. Also reading all the threads here will both educate you, and forewarn you on do's and don'ts. Like running the batterys down to far may cause a lockup.

I would spend a fair amount of time surfing the project gutenburg or manybooks.net sites. Loads and loads of books there to read. All free, most with your choice of file format. Also don't neglect the upload section here at MR. As to format, many prefer Epub, I'm just as happy with RTF. PDF's are tougher as normally they are formatted for a full sized computer screen. And you have to zoom a lot in order to read them. Which leaves you scrolling up and down for each page.

We were all new here once, so don't sweat the small stuff.
Although you might want to drop the size of your text down a smidge. Seems like your shouting. (probably not how you want to present yourself)

Welcome to MR!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
JeffHVT
JeffHVT began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite
other sources for books

You might want to check out www.smashwords.com. I have found some good reads there. Good prices from independent writers.
JeffHVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Yayafava

Yes I agree with the text size of my post. I was experimenting with something bigger but you can't see what it looks like till you send it. lol Guess I'll just leave it as is and not mess with that feature right now.

I have built in card reader in both desktop and laptop so that is not a problem. I have been reading that the USB cable to load directly onto or the SD card is slow so I was already planning on going directly from computer to SD card.

The JB manual says up to 2 GB SD card and I have 2 or 3 4-GB SDHC cards that are waiting to be used for various devices, so I don't have to worry about that. whew. : )

Thanks for all the great help!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayafava View Post
Yes I agree with the text size of my post. I was experimenting with something bigger but you can't see what it looks like till you send it. lol Guess I'll just leave it as is and not mess with that feature right now.
You must be using the "Quick Reply" tab below. Use the "Go Advanced" tab as it has a "Preview Post" function.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
My favorite site for classics is http://www.feedbooks.com/
The epub books are particularly well formatted.
Have a look.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yayafava, you don't need to make the text so big. Just get Firefox and zoom in and you'll get bigger text for the entire site. That way you can use regular size text for the rest of us. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Yayafava

Thank you all. I've gone to the first site suggested and dl/d some short stories and a novella so far. I'm going to the next site now as I've just read the message.

You can also scroll up with your mouse while holding down the control key to see web pages larger. I was just experimenting with the little format messages. I'm sorry and the most I will use from now on is the bold. : )