Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Translation comments

Since I've been working with the Spanish translation of Calibre, I've noticed some issues I'd like to comment, and I thought it's better to start a new thread (and not to report them as bugs yet):

1. It seems some strings are untranslated. For instance, in the output of "ebook-convert a.mobi b -h", things like "STRUCTURE DETECTION:", or "--authors=AUTHORS" (I mean the AUTHORS here), or "Created by", or "Whenever you pass..."

2. In some dialogs the hotkeys are not working, instead of underlined letters in the labels, the coded & can be seen. It's fine in English since those strings don't have &, but I naïvely included the &'s in Spanish... and messed it up I mean, in particular, the PDF Input and PDB, PDF and TXT Output tabs in Conversion preferences.

3. Would it be possible to allow one or two days for the translation of new strings before a new release of Calibre?

4. When running ebook-convert with no arguments, this part of the output looks redundant:

Quote:
After specifying the input and output file you can customize the conversion by specifying various options. the available options depend on the input and output file types. To get help on them specify the input and output file and then use the -h option.

You can also get detailed help on all the options any input/output pair of formats supports by specifying the -h flag after the input and output filenames.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Created by and Whenever you pass now fixed. AUTHORS etc can'tbe fixed for technical reasons (they're in a library used by calibre, not in the calibre code)

2. Not sure what you mean? You mean you put & into the Spanish strings when they weren't in the English strings? That wont work. I've now added the & to the English strings so it should be fine in the next release.

3. Difficult to do since I have no real fixed pattern for calibre releases. Basically whenever I encounter a critical bug or I feel that a lot of new minor bugs/features have been fixed/implemented, I go ahead and make a release.

4. Fixed.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1. Created by and Whenever you pass now fixed. AUTHORS etc can'tbe fixed for technical reasons (they're in a library used by calibre, not in the calibre code)
Really? It's strange. Some headers (shown in blue in my terminal) are localized (OUTPUT OPTIONS), others aren't (LOOK AND FEEL). As for the option values (in green), since some of them look specific for Calibre (--page-breaks-before=PAGE_BREAKS_BEFORE) I'd guess the uppercase part is auto-generated from the option name, in lower case. But you know better than I how it works

Quote:
2. Not sure what you mean? You mean you put & into the Spanish strings when they weren't in the English strings? That wont work. I've now added the & to the English strings so it should be fine in the next release.
Yes, that's what I did, because first I translated the strings without any & and then I added the &s while looking at the dialogs, to avoid hotkeys conflicting. In some cases I see I've added & when there was none in the English strings (so hotkeys didn't work there), the result is hotkeys still don't work and the strings with & are rendered verbatim, and not with the letter after & underlined, as intended. Thanks for fixing it

Quote:
3. Difficult to do since I have no real fixed pattern for calibre releases. Basically whenever I encounter a critical bug or I feel that a lot of new minor bugs/features have been fixed/implemented, I go ahead and make a release.
I understand that. What I was thinking is maybe making the strings available for translation at launchpad one or two days before the release (which in practice means delaying the relase one or two days ). Or perhaps "exporting" them more in real time, and not only when a new release is ready, so that when the release comes out, some new strings might already be translated. Yet another possibility could be upgrading a release with new translations as soon as they are available (I mean, when they reach 100%), without really changing the version, just the strings.

I admit I don't really know how the Calibre source code and the translations at launchpad are interconnected, though, so the above might all be nonsense
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm I suppose I can setup a cron job that exports them to launchpad every couple of days.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote