Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Kindle DX and Acrobat Pro Crop Box

Does the Kindle DX respect cropping out of Acrobat Pro, It would seem to be a good way to maximize the screen real estate of the DX?
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've cropped some things with Acrobat Pro. Worked fine, mainly. Had some weird errors when I did too many pages at once though.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
On the subject of auto-cropping, I have noticed a behavior of the DX that I want to see if everyone else sees too: In portrait mode, the DX crops all margins of the page as much as possible, leaving very small margins. But in landscape mode, the DX simply zooms to page width.

Has anyone seen different behavior?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm not sure if landscape mode "simply zooms", but it's true it does not crop the borders nearly as much, for reasons I can't understand.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I'm not sure if landscape mode "simply zooms", but it's true it does not crop the borders nearly as much, for reasons I can't understand.
I'm pretty sure the reason is this: In landscape mode, the width of the screen is almost exactly 8.5", i.e. the same as a letter-sized page. So the zoom level would usually be 100%, perfectly sufficient for at least 95% of documents.

It makes sense to me. It would be nicer to have a more complex zoom feature, but I'm fairly sure that Amazon has left the UI simple to make it user-friendly for the general public.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert