Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
fallwood
fallwood began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Cant find help for chapter detection

Hi everyone, I just bought the Sony prs-505 for my wife . I am having trouble understanding how the chapter detection works in calibre, I can't find any documentation that explains what the values mean that are entered in the 'tag based detection' options.

I have tried converting a few books that I downloaded in txt format and it seems to re-format them ok but doesnt seem to detect the chapters.

Can anyone point me to somewhere that has an indepth explanation of what the attributes in these boxes mean, I cant find anything on the calibre site other than basic user instructions.

Thanks.
fallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The 'tag based detection' would be referring to HTML tags, such as H1 or H2 indicating HTML headers. If you're converting from text, you'll need to identify the chapter titles yourself using the "markdown" syntax.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
fallwood
fallwood began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Thanks, could you explain what the markdown syntax is or point me to some documentation, I am a complete beginner with all this and its slightly confusing at the moment.
fallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See the demo in http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downloads/txt-demo.zip
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=9
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
I have the same problem as Fallwood but doesn't understand your replies...
I don't want a Table Of Content but only insert a "page break" (don't know if it's the correct name in English) before each chapter (identified with the name "CHAPTER").
Do I have to modify the .txt file to achieve this, or is there a way to just specify it in the "defaults for conversion" parameters ?
Could you give more explanations on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance...
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
I found the solution for txt->lrf conversion, if anyone needs it
It works well with a ## before each CHAPTER. This way, chapters are also recognized for the table of content.

For txt->epub conversion, it works for the TOC but no page break before the chapter.

Last edited by karo02; 12-10-2008 at 01:22 PM.
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote