Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Can the EBW1150 be mounted as a usb drive?

Now that we have an eBookwise 1150 driver (with C++ source) working in linux (thanks derrell!), could it be possible to mount the EBW1150 as a usb drive letter and access its memory card (in linux and hopefully windows too)?

We seem to be recently breaking down a lot of barriers surrounding this (dead end) .imp format, so I think it would be nice to have this ability.

This way there would be no need for external smartmedia card readers to access the card's .RES folders and would help access/maintain the card "on-the-fly".

Now, where to begin...

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-28-2008 at 03:52 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A good place to start looking for an EBW1150 solution would be where it was already implemented for the REB1100 (similar hardware and uses the smartmedia card as well!), namely:

http://vladboroda.narod.ru/ - Main website for RebComm (in Russian) translated

Source and executable files:
http://vladboroda.narod.ru/files/Reb...ce_1.1.0.4.zip - (Visual Studio.NET 2003 source)
http://vladboroda.narod.ru/files/Reb...up_1.1.0.4.exe

http://vladboroda.narod.ru/files/Reb...ce_1.1.0.5.zip - (Visual Studio.NET 2004 source)
http://vladboroda.narod.ru/files/Reb...up_1.1.0.5.exe

http://vladboroda.narod.ru/files/RebComm.exe (1.1.0.5b update April 10, 2006).

Any Visual Studio.NET programmers out there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RebComm-website.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	15729  
Attached Files
File Type: zip RebCommSource_1.1.0.5.zip (364.1 KB, 456 views)
File Type: zip RebCommSource_1.1.0.4.zip (310.2 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-28-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Is that directly accessing the hardware or just doing the same as linreb? I couldn't tell from the website.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Is that directly accessing the hardware or just doing the same as linreb? I couldn't tell from the website.
I think it gets right in there (internal memory and smartmedia card).

Here is the introduction when it is installed:
Quote:
What is RebComm?

The Introduction.

RebComm is a REB1100 communication tool. It supports USB communications and requires the factory provided USB device driver to be installed in the system. The driver is supplied with the eBook Librarian™ software on the factory CDROM, or can be downloaded from the Gemstar, Inc. web site. RebComm provides two views of the REB1100 filesystem: The Filesystem View and the Title List View. The Title List View is similar to the one provided by the eBook Librarian.
EDIT: I don't have my hardware reader with me, so the lists are empty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RebComm-v1.1.0.5.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	15733   Click image for larger version

Name:	RebComm-v1.1.0.5-title list view.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	15734  

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-28-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added another picture
Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I think it gets right in there (internal memory and smartmedia card).

Here is the introduction when it is installed:

EDIT: I don't have my hardware reader with me, so the lists are empty!
Looks like a clone of RebLibrarian, and a straightforward GUI-ization of rebcomm, which I already use daily.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Now that we have an eBookwise 1150 driver (with C++ source) working in linux (thanks derrell!), could it be possible to mount the EBW1150 as a usb drive letter and access its memory card (in linux and hopefully windows too)?
I don't think that's possible, as the ebook always "pulls" the books from the content server for the 1150/1200. So until they send a request, you can't "push" any content to them. We will always have to live with tools like impserve or linreb or GEB librarian, I think.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
I don't think that's possible, as the ebook always "pulls" the books from the content server for the 1150/1200. So until they send a request, you can't "push" any content to them. We will always have to live with tools like impserve or linreb or GEB librarian, I think.
No, it wouldn't use HTTP requests for file I/O. What we need here is to build a filesystem around the usb communications coded in the eb1150 driver for linux (which was based on REBComm version 0.4 which uses usb).

One of the reasons I uploaded the source code to RebComm v1.1.0.5 was to show exactly how it achieved usb communications to read the smartmedia card and then try to adapt it for the EBW1150. Reading the internal memory on the EBW1150 would be stretching it a bit!

Never say never, though...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
ritibelle
ritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litter

Device: Reb1100, Reb1200, Ebw1150, Sony 505
Sorry for arriving late to the party but if you're still working on this you may want to check this out:

Using Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com) and the Reb1100 plugin (http://www.turtleblast.com) it's possible to access the Reb1100 as if it were a usb drive.
ritibelle is offline   Reply With Quote