Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 03:18 AM   #1
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
Zinio Reader

Just found out that my favorit designmag is online, BUT it is packed in some propriatary format namely Zinio Reader:
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ZNO

Does anyone know how to convert that thing into html or txt - pdf would suit best, as the layout of the mag is quite complex.

I must admit, that I haven't checked the reader for now... if it should come with a conver function, than just ignore this message, but I doubt it.
DaNDeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I know the reader and it is actually quite good (definitely better than Adobe Reader) if you are ok with reading full-length magazines on your computer screen.

However, I don't think there is a way to convert the format due to its heavy DRM restrictions: Zinio uses DRM technology by ContentGuard, who is also the evil brain behind DRM deployment for all other types of digital content or services.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've found this that may help you guys....
Good luck

How to Convert ZNO to PDF

1. Get Adobe Acrobat Professional (Not Reader).

2. Make sure the Adobe PDF printer is NOT the default printer. This is imperative to the ripping process.

3. Starting with the first page (cover), hit Ctrl+P in Zinio.

4. Select Adobe PDF from the printer drop-down menu.

5. Print the page and save in some sequential order, for example 001.pdf

6. Repeat for each page (excluding advertisement pages) of the magazine.

7. Open Adobe Acrobat.

8. Go to File --> Create PDF --> From Multiple Files…

9. Click Browse, go to directory where you saved the printed PDFs.

10. Select all the files (click on the first one, hold down shift and click on the last one)

11. Make sure files are arranged in order

12. Create PDF
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:31 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That is a nice workaround. Thank you Ret.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
Good workaround, I was wondering if an automated script for doing this is possible, ie saving us the effort of printing page by page?

The same method should work for Repligo, for those of you wanting to view it on your mobile devices.
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
dazejohnblaze
dazejohnblaze began at the beginning.

Convert ZNO to PDF

Does anybody know of a program or workaround for creating a pdf out of a zno that does not allow for a user to pull up the print comand?
dazejohnblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
dazejohnblaze
dazejohnblaze began at the beginning.

Reply to myself

Let me rephrase this because not even I could understand this question. I recently got a .zno file from Zinio, I need to be able to print this for myself except once in the zinio viewer, the option to print is grayed-out thus not allowing for me to print or do the save as pdf workaround previously posted. Does anybody know of a program out there that can do the conversion or is there another workaround that will either print well or convert into a good quality pdf?
dazejohnblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

.zno on Mac

Finally Zinio released its Reader for Mac and it looks like they made a little mistake to ship its reader with a new mac. I found it on a friends hd, when helping him to get on the net. At this point there's no registration needed and and best is, that Apple implemented native PDF Support on Tiger. You simply open up your zno and "save it as PDF" in you printer dialog.

I also tried the latest version (you only get it with when registered to the side) and printing ist still on, but you get your registration watermarked on every page.

I wonder what happens, if you "kill" the installer when it reaches the point where it asks for you reg data -you got to know that the reader and the so called "Delivery Manager" are separate programs, so.... you get the point?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNDeE
I also tried the latest version (you only get it with when registered to the side) and printing ist still on, but you get your registration watermarked on every page.
Is the watermark visible? I'd be careful if you want to convert Zinio to PDF with the sole purpose of sharing it with others, especially if they keep some kind of registration information in the PDF that could be used to trace back to you.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

No, I actually just don't like propriatary formats and sometimes I want to read it on my PDA - that's all not prossible with .zno.

And yes, the watermark is acutally a semi translucent text printed over the pages.

Between: I tried the above procedure only with the test magazine, that comes with Zinio Reader. Looks like it doesn't work with .znos from other places, as the reader checks back with Zinios Homepage and won't open the document if no net is present. So sorry for new hopes that just vanished.

There seems to be now way around other than having good layouted pages being corrupted with text across it. Not very good for desing magazines and people with purpose to share it. Someone reading a stock market journal might be content with this "workaround".
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I share your grief on proprietary formats and trust me, if there was a world without PDF and ZNO, I'd believe it to be a better world!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Eric, Lee
Eric, Lee began at the beginning.

Device: gsm
how to convert pdf to .zno? thanks
Eric, Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #13
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Guess there's no way of doing so. Zinio is propriatary format and I doubt, that they will post their tools for creating znos, although I haven't looked around for a tool - versiontracker.com and zinio.com... couldn't find one.

I am curious: Why would you like to such a thing?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #14
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
self-torture?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
jaburk
jaburk began at the beginning.

I use a program called SNAGIT to capture the Screen in Zinio and then save to pdf. It works great and no watermarks!
jaburk is offline   Reply With Quote