Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #136
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lolita would fit in Classical Literature, Free-for-all and Lottery. But it's not a classic (it's influence is to pedophiles and it's only important to pedophiles). It is not a romance. Romance is not about a pedophile lusting after a little girl.

I don't like banning books. But any book that deals with pedophilia has to go. That is one subject I do feel strongly about doing away with.
Humbert Humbert is portrayed as a mentally ill, erudite pedophile who strategically gains control of a disturbed and confused young girl. The greatness of the book lies with Nabokov's facility with the English language, literary allusions, and psychological insight. The book does not portray pedophilia as an attractive option. Possible spoiler alert:
Spoiler:
Quite the opposite as Humbert comes to realize the damage he has done to Dolores (only is she the dehumanized Lolita in his sick mind).

I agreed with Jon on this one until I read the book a month ago. It reminded me that we can't fairly judge a book we haven't read. There are many non-controversial books about pedophilia told from the victim's perspective; Lolita is only controversial because it is told from a perpetrator's viewpoint.

I came late to the party having joined up here only about six months ago, but it appears that Lolita should be nominated in the right category and win so that it can be discussed once and for all. Of the many books I've read in the past year, it is the one I would most like to discuss.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #137
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Lolita not a classic? Ok-maybe in some ways it is too early to tell. But the way it's written about makes the tag almost justifiable. Certainly no more controversial than for I, Robot.

Last edited by caleb72; 01-28-2013 at 06:26 PM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #138
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Didn't someone post about The Dresden Files qualifying as biography because it was about Harry Dresden? Using that logic, Lolita qualifies as autobiography/memoir by Humbert Humbert.
Surely you're kidding about the The Dresden Files!?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #139
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I clicked on the Amazon link for A Town Like Alice and balked at the $16 price tag. Fortunately it's public domain in Canada, so I snagged a copy available here at MobileRead (no link was provided for the PD version in the list, an oversight?). Looks interesting, but I'll probably read Lolita soon as well (my library has a copy).

BelleZora, if you're interested in discussing Lolita, perhaps you can make a thread in the main Reading Recommendations subforum and I'll join you there (maybe a few of the other pedophiles* would also be interested).

*Apparently I've been labeled a pedophile for seconding a book many consider great literature. Perhaps I should change my Custom User Title.

Last edited by Synamon; 01-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #140
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think if we do a banned book month it should be in September to coincide with Banned Books Week.
Sounds like a marvellous idea! Should we include those that were subject to zealous attempts at banning whether or not those attempts were successful?

Someone posted this list for me at GoodReads and I was gob-smacked at how many fantastic books were on it.

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/33-...s-of-1990-2000

Judy Blume, Katherine Patterson, Margaret Atwood, Daniel Keyes, Madeleine L'Engle, Robert Cormier, Roald Dahl (I'm serious - he's on there) ... the list goes on.

Of course most of these are young adult because most protests probably come from parents of students in reaction to either books read in class or available in the library. But still, there's some great books in that list.
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #141
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
*Apparently I've been labeled a pedophile for seconding a book many consider great literature. Perhaps I should change my Custom User Title.
Must have been the fluffy bunny slippers - a dead give-away if you ask me.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #142
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Surely you're kidding about the The Dresden Files!?
I'm kidding, but I'm not so sure about the unnamed poster who suggested Dresden Files could qualify as biography. Fiction/shmiction!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #143
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
BelleZora, if you're interested in discussing Lolita, perhaps you can make a thread in the main Reading Recommendations subforum and I'll join you there (maybe a few of the other pedophiles* would also be interested).

Pedophiles of MR, unite!

I think that's a great suggestion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #144
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I was thinking about suggesting this a while ago, but I didn't want the extra pressure of reading/discussing the book club selection AND Lolita. If Stardust had won, I would have been much more open to it as I wasn't looking for a re-read anyway.

I'll see how I go with my February reads.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #145
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I clicked on the Amazon link for A Town Like Alice and balked at the $16 price tag. Fortunately it's public domain in Canada, so I snagged a copy available here at MobileRead (no link was provided for the PD version in the list, an oversight?). Looks interesting, but I'll probably read Lolita soon as well (my library has a copy).

Count me in for the read and discussion.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think if we do a banned book month it should be in September to coincide with Banned Books Week.
Banned Books would be better for August. I'd rather not have that for my birth month.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #147
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No way. I do not want banned books on my birth month.
It should be an amazing compliment. Banned books are often the best of books - what a great reading experience for your birth month.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I would support that!

I want Fantasy and Science Fiction, though.
Science Fiction for July
Banned Books for August
Fantasy for September
Modern Literature for October
Non-fiction for November
Free-for-All for December

I cannot condone horror for October as the winners we had have been awful.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #149
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
It should be an amazing compliment. Banned books are often the best of books - what a great reading experience for your birth month.
I agree!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If we do Banned Books for September, that means that Fantasy has to move to August and that would mean a month for Science Fiction followed by a month for Fantasy. Won't work.