Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #76
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oh so you're saying that a program is needed in order to import books into Calibre? I don't think you need a program to do that.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #77
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Oh so you're saying that a program is needed in order to import books into Calibre? I don't think you need a program to do that.
Ohhh, how does one do it.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #78
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Ohhh, how does one do it.
If you have Alf's plugin installed in Calibre just import the DRM ebooks and it will automatically remove the DRM. No program required.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #79
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But the problem as I see it is that the DRM books come with the ACSM (or some similar code) that can only be open with a specified reader, like Sony.

So my understanding is that you can't directly import a DRM book directly into Calibre without downloading it firstly into a reader program.

I'll test it out!! (I've just finished dinner and started the wash up, lol!!)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #80
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
But the problem as I see it is that the DRM books come with the ACSM (or some similar code) that can only be open with a specified reader, like Sony.

So my understanding is that you can't directly import a DRM book directly into Calibre without downloading it firstly into a reader program.

I don't know. I can't recall the steps I took. I have to have my laptop in front of me in order to know what I did. Maybe you're right. LOL test it out when you have the time.

I would go through the steps again and tell you but I'm at university and I won't be back for at least two hours or so. But I just remembered opening the book with Adobe Digital Editions but I don't know why

Last edited by Gazella; 11-26-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #81
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:

I have my laptop in front of me and I went through the steps I usually take for an ACSM book. Opening the acsm file using the relevant software was one of the steps. I just remembered that I had to open the book with either Adobe Digital Editions or the Sony Reader software in order for it to create an ePub file which is then imported into Calibre. So you were right, I just forgot this step
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #82
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The acsm file is just the "token" to download the book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
Nushi
Nushi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Finally a Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Something that may help. ADE won't create the ascm link for me if I am on a VPN, I have to have an IP address which is in the same country as I first used to register ADE. I just get an interminable "connecting " message then a timeout
piperclassique, you're a genius!!

I used to live in Australia, where I originally registered with ADE. I've recently moved to Germany and this is the first time I've tried purchasing an eBook outside of Australia.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't download my eBook from Kobo, I've been using my Nook with Calibre and ADE for over a year now without incident, and my internet connection is perfectly fine. Yet I was getting the same time out msg again and again. SO frustrating!!!

So after reading piperclassique's post, I tried downloading the book again but this time using an IP shield, and it worked!
I know my reply is many months on, but hopefully it will help some other poor soul who has experienced the same problem.

However what I would like to know now is how I might change my registration details on ADE so this doesn't continue to be a problem (sure I can keep using an IP shield but surely there's a simpler way. People move countries all the time). Any thoughts?
Nushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushi View Post
So after reading piperclassique's post, I tried downloading the book again but this time using an IP shield, and it worked!
Quote:
Gazella, have you been able to download your Kobo Epubs into Sony Reader yet? (Here's hoping, my fingers and toes are crossed for your success )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Things to try. Disable Firewall, Change DNS settings or try a proxy or VPN. It could be ISP has the IP block or Adobe has your Country or IP block.
OMG!! At last!! I was able to download the Kobo book!
I used my iPad because all VPN softwares were blocked on my computer so while browsing the App Store on my iPad I found an app called Hotspot Shield VPN, I decided to download it and try downloading the book with VPN on. I opened Safari and logged into my Kobo account and tried downloading the book, it wouldn't download. I then realized that I must have a software that opens ADE books. I found an app which does exactly that, it's called Bluefire Reader, downloaded it via App Store and had to authorize the app with my AdobeID. Opened the Kobo page again and tapped on the ADE download button next to the book and it asked me if I want to open the book in the Bluefire Reader app, chose yes and voila! The book showed up in the Bluefire library

I tried downloading the book with VPN off and it wouldn't download.

I can't use VPN on my computer because as I said all the websites are blocked. Now I need to figure out how to send the epub ebook from my iPad to my computer.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-26-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #85
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushi View Post
However what I would like to know now is how I might change my registration details on ADE so this doesn't continue to be a problem (sure I can keep using an IP shield but surely there's a simpler way. People move countries all the time). Any thoughts?
yes! this is my case...I'm about to move countries, but haven't signed up ADE because I don't know how to get around this problem....but I want to because I want to sign out books from my local library.....

so if anyway has the solution so that I can sign up for ADE now and still be able to use it after I move, without needing a IP shield....let's hear it!!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
yes! this is my case...I'm about to move countries, but haven't signed up ADE because I don't know how to get around this problem....but I want to because I want to sign out books from my local library.....

so if anyway has the solution so that I can sign up for ADE now and still be able to use it after I move, without needing a IP shield....let's hear it!!
I would open a support ticket with Adobe. I think they are the only ones who can change that part.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #87
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
I can't use VPN on my computer because as I said all the websites are blocked. Now I need to figure out how to send the epub ebook from my iPad to my computer.
You could try opening iTunes with the iPad connected, going to apps, then save to disc the files in bluefire. Then add to calibre, with the apprentice's plugins installed.
No promises, but wouldn't take long to try.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #88
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
OMG!! At last!! I was able to download the Kobo book! I can't use VPN on my computer because as I said all the websites are blocked. Now I need to figure out how to send the epub ebook from my iPad to my computer.
Gazella what about emailing the book to youself and picking it up on the computer?

Then save the book file attachment in your usual Books Directory, and then when you open Calibre you should be able to import it.

Or use the cloud - do you have Dropbox, or SugarSync or whatever?

Because that's how I often drop books down onto my BB playbook from the PC.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-26-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Mention Cloud
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #89
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
I have my laptop in front of me and I went through the steps I usually take for an ACSM book. Opening the acsm file using the relevant software was one of the steps. I just remembered that I had to open the book with either Adobe Digital Editions or the Sony Reader software in order for it to create an ePub file which is then imported into Calibre. So you were right, I just forgot this step
Okay so Govid answered my post in the Calibre section - and he's pointed me to the Calibre Q&A, which I always forget is there ().

The way we're importing into Calibre via a reader program is the only way stated. But, I thought there may be an 'unofficial' workaround. Nope doesn't seem that way.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #90
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
OMG!! At last!! I was able to download the Kobo book!
I used my iPad because all VPN softwares were blocked on my computer so while browsing the App Store on my iPad I found an app called Hotspot Shield VPN, I decided to download it and try downloading the book with VPN on. I opened Safari and logged into my Kobo account and tried downloading the book, it wouldn't download. I then realized that I must have a software that opens ADE books. I found an app which does exactly that, it's called Bluefire Reader, downloaded it via App Store and had to authorize the app with my AdobeID. Opened the Kobo page again and tapped on the ADE download button next to the book and it asked me if I want to open the book in the Bluefire Reader app, chose yes and voila! The book showed up in the Bluefire library

I tried downloading the book with VPN off and it wouldn't download.

Gazella is there a Sony Reader (or books) App for the Ipad?

If so then it may be a virtual account whereby you can keep your Sony imported books in the Cloud. Or it may only store Sony bought books.

Anyway it may (or may not) be relevant.