Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
codo coderson
still trying to eRead
codo coderson doesn't littercodo coderson doesn't litter

Device: Pixelar Hanlin V3
freakin' frozen

Hello, hello to this amazing community that already helped me so much without knowing it.

I want to figure out if my Hanlin needs to be replaced or maybe I can still fix it with your help (cause I ran out of ideas).

When I got it, I loaded the last Jinke firmware, 2.20EN.091124. I was using it for one month without problems. Then, without apparent reason, it started to freeze, until today. it's so chronical that I just can't use it. It's a miracle when it shows the file system... for the last weeks the normal situation is: frozen screen, screwdriver in one hand and a bent clip in the other.

First thing to check out is the battery, isn't it?

I've tried recharging the battery for long hours. Then, when I switch it on, normally it tries to start, clears the screen, shows "My mobile library"... and then freeze. Sometimes in the load screen, sometimes after 5 minutes.

Tried a different battery, an original, not new, working Nokia BL-5C. Recharged both for a whole night each... tried resetting before pressing the power button, after... all kinds of combinations...

Today, after 10 tries or so, I've managed to install a different firmware. Now I have the Tirwal 2.7 Firmware. and guess what: FROZEN!! it takes a little more to freeze, but not more than 5 minutes. No difference between using the battery or the cable. should I put it into the microwave?

I need somebody.

codo
codo coderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Is there any thing that you always do when it freezes. Like locking the keys, reading a (specific) file (format), leaving it in the main menu for long time, listening to music, touching the button X, anything...?

Can you use it only on cable, with a plugged out battery? BEFORE you try it - I have no idea what might happen. Don't try this, unless you have asked someone with more experience/knowlegde than me! It'll really suck, if my "brilliant" idea fries your reader.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

touching the button X... yeah, the 'freeze' button!

no, he loves to freeze in all conditions! in the loading screen, when he tries to load a file (any kind), trying to zoom or turn the page inside the files (any kind)... he's so playful!

I also tried that, only cable. Hey man, it's a good idea! you can tell everybody. But for me it's not working...

Thank you very much, LCF, for your support. In fact, I'm figuring out that the machine is faulty. But if you or someone have new ideas, I'm lookink forward to try them.

[long silence]
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK then... if you really can't avoid pushing the 'freeze' button, all I can offer you is older firmware... I really can't see how it can get any worse, so the alternative treatment might help. Post here or send me a PM/board message if you are interested.

One more thing: Except Astak, every other (AFAIK) product on the market is coming from Hanlin, so if you try the BeBook forum there is a bigger chance you get help. But you might want to wait a few days and ask there if no one can help you here. The moderators here can be very... protective of the forum treasures. They actually killed someone recently!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
I suggest you need to update the firmware again. When you update the F/W, remember press the volume key "-" instead of "+", that means press "-" and Power button together while updating.

Last edited by allen; 05-17-2010 at 09:11 PM.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

my already dear friend LCF,

(that's what you get when you help somebody for nothing)

honestly I didn't understand what you meant when you talked about the "forum treasures" and when you said that maybe it's more convenient to try the BeBook forum; my device is the Pixelar Hanlin Reader, and the category of this Forum is "MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook". Am I wrong? (I know they are the same device, anyway.) Can you say it clear as crystal, like if I was 5 years old, mate?

Anyway, the Pixelar tech people told me to send it out for repairing... guess it's good news!

Thanx a lot, man.

codo
Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

allen, you mean that I try with another firmware different to the ones I already tried? (Jinke and Tirwal)

and I have another one: what's the difference of pressing the "-" button and the Power button instead of the normal "+" button and the Power button?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo coderson View Post
my already dear friend LCF,

(that's what you get when you help somebody for nothing)

honestly I didn't understand what you meant when you talked about the "forum treasures" and when you said that maybe it's more convenient to try the BeBook forum; my device is the Pixelar Hanlin Reader, and the category of this Forum is "MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook". Am I wrong? (I know they are the same device, anyway.) Can you say it clear as crystal, like if I was 5 years old, mate?

Anyway, the Pixelar tech people told me to send it out for repairing... guess it's good news!

Thanx a lot, man.

codo
You are absolutely correct to write in this forum. What I meant was, that the difference between Pixelar Hanlin Reader and BeBook is the logo on the plastic. Everything else, except the firmware, is the same. Since BeBook is pretty popular, the possibility of someone having the same problem and perhaps a solution for it is also relatively big.

About the forum treasures. It had two meanings.
First: It was a metaphor for a nice forum, (just like this one :P ) where the users don't spam asking the same questions in 5 sections and 23 different under-sections.
Second, it was a Pocket PRO or a PocketBook 302. Ha, I bet you look like I looked earlier today (but thats a completely different story). Now, If you are up for reading a nice short detective story while waiting for the repair, you can click on the word "killed" in my previous post. If not, hit the spoiler

Spoiler:
There was a contest on MR (MobileRead) last week, where you could win one of the above Readers if you guess the murderer. The main plot was: There had been a murder in the Moderator's Suite. Which means some Moderator killed another one. According to the official ending - because the second Moderator tried to steal one of the readers-to-be-prizes. So the Reader in question was the "forum treasure" that was worth "killing" to protect.

Btw, I'm glad they are accepting it for repair, hopefully without additional charges! Good luck!

P.S.: Thanks for the dear friend! I'm sure you'll find a lot more people fitting the definition you gave around the forums!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

wow man, you're nice. did i tell you?

now I get the whole idea. you really did an effort to explain it clear. you should be a teacher or something like that man... for the patience and love, most of all.

yeah, I realized the link and saw the story a little bit... (that means 'too lazy to read it')

hope to find you again, in this shape or another, in this world or another.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
LCF
Wizard

Wow, thanks!

Me, teacher... The poor students...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
dingar
dingar began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
The same problem to me. Sometimes, My device is OK. Minutes or hours after boot, freeze. Sometimes reset is ok, sometimes failed. Screwdriver and clip in hands.

I have tried several solutions, such as replace battery, update fireware, even use Openinkpot. No solution is perfect.
dingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

frozen solutions

@dingar:

A guy in a forum, who worked as technical assistant for ECO Readers (Hanlin in Australia and New Zealand) told me that looks like a corrupted file system. It can make sense, since I sent it for repair to Pixelar, they tried with another SD card and it worked perfectly. try scanning the Hanlin's hard drive and making some tests before sending it back for repair! (I mean, that's what I would do in your case)

good luck, man.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
dingar
dingar began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
@codo coderson

Thank you. I replace rom with openinkpot 3.0 rc1. It's perfect also. Can you tell me how to scan the Hanlin's hard drive?
dingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
codo coderson
still trying to eRead

There are programs to do that. first you can try with Windows ScanDisk (Right click in the drive, Properties, and in some tab there is something like "Check this drive for errors"). You also can try formatting the SD card and the internal drive before.

write in google:

repair errors external drive
OR
repair errors external disk
OR
repair errors external hard disk

and good luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
teemac
teemac doesn't litterteemac doesn't litter

Device: ECO Reader V3ext, ECO Reader V3+
To format the drive in Linux (haven't used windows for 5 or 6 years) just connect device to usb port, open GParted and select drive and format to fat32.

I had corruption problems, freezing etc on my original ECOReader (v3 Hanlin), reformatted and then reloaded files and all was perfect.

I don't know what to do for windows, but it should be very similar for reformatting to fat32.
teemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanlin frozen