Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Clau
Enthusiast
Clau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How can I filter out Prime Members prices from search results

Hi,

I don't have Amazon Prime so I find it very annoying how that price is listed on my search results. The problem is not the Prime price per se but when I try to sort the items by price, some cheaper items show up way lower then other items that are free with a membership.

Is there a fix to this? Otherwise, the sort by price option is completely useless.

This is what I'm talking about:

Clau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I noticed this, too. But, I haven't had any luck in getting around it. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It's advertising to get you to buy Prime of course , but there is a way if someone wants to hack up a few browser extensions to do it. I wish I knew how, but for anyone interested I did the dirty work for you.

The Prime info is simply in a few DIVs. If you eliminate it like so in the search CSS:

Code:
div.trow{display: none;}
div.tcell_right{text-align:left;width:30px;height:0;font-weight:normal;display:inline;float:left;}
This is what you get:

I don't see another way otherwise.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 06-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jessica, if I've understood your CSS correctly, it will hide the reference to the Prime price in the search results. But it won't change the sort order. In the example that Clau posted, the colonial diary would still appear above Letting Go. Does that sound right to you?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

You guys do realize that is NOT a special Amazon Prime price, right? The book price is the same for everyone. However, if you have Amazon Prime then you can borrow the book for free. You can only borrow one book at a time and only one per month, so it is really not much of a deal if you ask me.
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Jessica, if I've understood your CSS correctly, it will hide the reference to the Prime price in the search results. But it won't change the sort order. In the example that Clau posted, the colonial diary would still appear above Letting Go. Does that sound right to you?

Mike
Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove that. I know you can add the Prime option in the regular search, but you can't exclude it. They took out that option in the Kindle Store.

And yeah, of course jswinden, but with Amazon Prime in the sorting, if you put Sort by "Low to High", the Prime titles are listed in with the books that are free even though they're not unless you can use the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well, at least I can fiddle with greasemonkey to see if I can get a little script action going. I never really thought about doing that, even with the little staring me in the face each time I launch my browser...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
Clau
Enthusiast
Clau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for your replies. I also thought of Greasemonkey but my coding skills are not too advanced. I opened a thread if anyone else is interested: https://userscripts.org/topics/112975
Clau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, just wanted to make sure you understood we Amazon Prime members were not getting a discount on the book, just a cheesey offer to borrow it.

BTW, I find the Amazon search options to be rather flaky, at least for items that are not Kindle books. As you start to check off options the search results can be strangely affected. I suspect like Google certain items/vendors are getting very special treatment.

There also seems to be little or no policing of privately listed items. An item that sales for $100 new by most vendors on most websites can have entries on Amazon.com that are priced at way over $1000. I guess these sleazy vendors are trying to take advantage of people mindlessly using the one-click purchase and then hoping they don't catch their mistake until much later. It isn't like you don't get at least one email from Amazon showing the purchase and purchase price, but we still hear of people claiming items showed up at their doorstep which they didn't know they had purchased. Even Leo LePorte (sp?) from TWITTV acted surprised when he received a Kindle in the mail, and he is a self-proclaimed tech and internet expert. so apparently people can make purchases they didn't know they had, although there is little excuse for this as they have plenty of time to cancel any orders before they ship.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The searchbox restriction check boxes do act flaky, but I always assumed it was because the various people who posted the items didn't properly tag them.
Example, if you search tablets, you see lots of tablets, iOS, android, windows slates, etc. Then if you check off "android" in the OS checkboxes, meaning you want only android tablets, you don't see all the "android" tablets that were in the previous list, and most of those you DO see are no-names. Which leads me to believe the other android tablets aren't tagged as being 'android' for their OS.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon