Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Cptow
Cptow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Sony T1 EPUB paragraph problem

Hi,

New to this forum, hope someone can enlighten me.
Just gotten my T1 2 days ago for my son.

Have been trying to send a ebook famous five epub format to my device, but noticed that the there is lots of blank on the page. I try coverting into a few other formats but it still does not work. I have already set the remove spacing between paragraphs...can some kind soul help me? The orinial files attached below.

Last edited by Cptow; 01-15-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Cptow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Cptow

Can someone tell me if its the original input problem or i miss some conversion steps?
Noticed that few of the books all have this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptow View Post
Can someone tell me if its the original input problem or i miss some conversion steps?

Thanks in advance!
I've downloaded your book - I presume it's in the Public Domain - but it will be a while before I can do much work on it.

In the meantime could you tell me please what format the book was originally in, and what you used to convert it? If it was calibre you'll probably get more help in the calibre/conversion forum.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Cptow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've downloaded your book - I presume it's in the Public Domain - but it will be a while before I can do much work on it.

In the meantime could you tell me please what format the book was originally in, and what you used to convert it? If it was calibre you'll probably get more help in the calibre/conversion forum.
Thanks Bro.

The original format is in EPUB too....so i thought it should work well with no conversion T1? I tried converting to other formats just to test out...but none work. Using the latest version of calibre and check on the "Remove spacing from paragraph." Friend got it for me from epubbud.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Thanks Bro.

The original format is in EPUB too....so i thought it should work well with no conversion T1? I tried converting to other formats just to test out...but none work. Using the latest version of calibre and check on the "Remove spacing from paragraph." Friend got it for me from epubbud.
Is Enid Blyton really in the public domain? I'm not sure! Looking at your epub...

Whatever you used to convert it (it claims to be "ABC Amber LIT Converter") has produced this output:

<p>a full paragraph of text</p>
<br />
<br />
<p>another full paragraph of text</p>

So the extra big gaps between paragraphs are due to the excessive <br /> markup. Once you remove them, the book should look much better.

You should reconvert them. But if you cannot, a quick fix would be to open them in Sigil, go to Code view, and then do a find/replace of '<br />' to ''. The result looks much cleaner.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
This is not a great epub. The reason for the excess of blank lines is that the source contains 2 surplus linebreaks between each real paragraph.

If you are using Calibre you can produce a much-improved (not perfect) epub by doing an epub-to-epub conversion with the following conversion settings:

Look&Feel page:
check box 'Remove spacing between paragraphs'

Heuristic Processing page:
check box 'Enable heuristic processing'
check box 'Detect and markup unformatted chapter hdgs...'
uncheck all other boxes

Structure Detection page:
set box 'Detect chapters at' to //h:h2

Table of Contents page:
check box 'Force use of auto-generated TOC'

Search&Replace page:
First expression (to remove surplus linebreaks)
set box 'Search Regular Expression' to the following exact text
Code:
<br />\s*<br />
box 'Replacement text' should be empty
Second expression (to remove unwanted page numbers and improve Chapter detection)
Code:
Page\s*\d+\s*

EPUB Output page:
make sure box 'Split files larger than' is set to 260 KB
(It needs to be done to fix a problem with the original)
There are other ways to correct this epub, but I've detailed a method which can be achieved using Calibre conversion settings only, rather than manually editing the html & css inside the epub.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks jackie, this is very useful!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
Cptow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is not a great epub. The reason for the excess of blank lines is that the source contains 2 surplus linebreaks between each real paragraph.

If you are using Calibre you can produce a much-improved (not perfect) epub by doing an epub-to-epub conversion with the following conversion settings:

Look&Feel page:
check box 'Remove spacing between paragraphs'

Heuristic Processing page:
check box 'Enable heuristic processing'
check box 'Detect and markup unformatted chapter hdgs...'
uncheck all other boxes

Structure Detection page:
set box 'Detect chapters at' to //h:h2

Table of Contents page:
check box 'Force use of auto-generated TOC'

Search&Replace page:
First expression (to remove surplus linebreaks)
Code:
<br />\s*<br />
Second expression (to remove unwanted page numbers and improve Chapter detection)
Code:
Page\s*\d+\s*

EPUB Output page:
make sure box 'Split files larger than' is set to 260 KB
(It needs to be done to fix a problem with the original)
There are other ways to correct this epub, but I've detailed a method which can be achieved using Calibre conversion settings only, rather than manually editing the html & css inside the epub.

Thank You For Your Detail Steps.......
I will try out later......but do i need to set back to all the normal settings after the conversion or just leave it alone.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Thank You For Your Detail Steps.......
I will try out later......but do i need to set back to all the normal settings after the conversion or just leave it alone.
I don't think you should use all these settings as your defaults for all epub conversions, but the settings you use for a single book will stay with that book, unless/until you change them or set them back to default (using the button).

When you do the epub-to-epub conversion the resulting epub has the file extension .epub and the original epub should be renamed by Calibre to have extension .original_epub.

If you do another epub-to-epub the .original_epub will be used as the source and the .epub will be overwritten. In this case, keep the conversion settings, as above, plus whatever new ones you feel you need.

However, if after successfully converting, you want to delete the 'bad' original, then you should delete the .original_epub version (via Calibre not directly in the op.sys). If, for whatever reason, you later want to convert epub-to-epub again then the settings above are no longer appropriate. What settings you should use instead will depend on why you feel you need to reconvert.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-15-2012 at 08:39 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Is Enid Blyton really in the public domain? I'm not sure! Looking at your epub...

Whatever you used to convert it (it claims to be "ABC Amber LIT Converter") has produced this output:
One of those poorly converted pirated eBooks. Yep. It sure is.

Any time you use ABC Amber anything, you get poor results.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of those poorly converted pirated eBooks. Yep. It sure is.
I remember times, when you'd buy legal epubs and then wondered if they used a poorly formatted pdf as original input. I am glad to say, the quality of todays epubs is much better.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I keep seeing lots of poorly formatted epubs legally purchased - from SONY's store but not only.

I got so upset with Orhan Pamuk's Museum of Innocence and all the non-recognized characters (purchased from SONY's store, but not recognized by SONY's PRS 350 and 950 readers, not without PRS+) that I went out and found an 'alternative' copy.

I don't meant to hijack the thread. And the OP might - or might not - have been pirating. But the problem is far from absent from legally purchased material.

Last edited by vxf; 01-18-2012 at 02:44 AM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I keep seeing lots of poorly formatted epubs legally purchased - from SONY's store but not only.

I got so upset with Orhan Pamuk's Museum of Innocence and all the non-recognized characters (purchased from SONY's store, but not recognized by SONY's PRS 350 and 950 readers, not without PRS+) that I went out and found an 'alternative' copy.
Since we're off topic now, I was very disappointed with the formatting of Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy that I borrowed from the local Overdrive library. I'm very glad I didn't pay to read it on my reader (we do have the paper copies here somewhere too).

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Since we're off topic now, I was very disappointed with the formatting of Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy that I borrowed from the local Overdrive library. I'm very glad I didn't pay to read it on my reader (we do have the paper copies here somewhere too).

Cheers,
Simon.
I didn't find that to be that bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote