Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
JonnyBrad
JonnyBrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mobi to Kindle/Iphone App - Last page read sync.

Hi there,

I've been reading advice on this forum about getting .mobi's to be able to sync last page read between iphones and kindles. However i appear to have run into a small problem.

So far what i have done is taken a mobi file and imported it to calibre and "converted" it to a new mobi. This produces a folder with the mobi an metadata.opf file and the cover picture.

Now i have uploaded the folder once to my kindle and once to my iphone kindle app (via iphone explorer (jailbroken)) Meaning both have the mobi and the metadata.opf file on.

If i commence reading on my iphone everything works great. I can switch off the phone then go to the kindle and it finds the last page read from my iphone and lets me read from there. However when i try reopening the kindle app on the phone. It always syncs back to page 1! It does this whether i have been reading on the kindle or whether i have just reopened the app at a later date. Which really isn't much use at all.

Is there something i'm doing wrong here? Everything works one way but doesnt from the other.

Just to summarise:- I use Calibre 0.7.48. Convert a mobi then transfer the metadata.opf and mobi files to my kindle and iphone app. The kindle syncs to last page read however the iphone always resets to page one everytime i open the book

If anyone could shed some light on where i'm going wrong it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by JonnyBrad; 03-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.
JonnyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate subforum.

This sounds to be more of a Kindle/Kindle app issue than a Calibre issue. You might have better luck asking in either the Kindle or the Apple device subforum.

There's one thing you shouldn't do, though: You shouldn't manually copy the MOBI from Calibre's library folder, and you don't need the metadata.opf at all. There's a lengthy explanation available, the short version is that Calibre isn't designed to operate that way- you should keep out of its library folder. If you connect your Kindle to the computer via USB, Calibre should recognize it and you can then transfer books to the Kindle by selecting "send to device". If you don't want to do that and have a WiFi/3G model, you can also email books to your device. Similarly, for the iPhone, you can use the "connect to iTunes" feature and then send the book to the iPhone "device".
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
JonnyBrad
JonnyBrad began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Moved to appropriate subforum.
This sounds to be more of a Kindle/Kindle app issue than a Calibre issue. You might have better luck asking in either the Kindle or the Apple device subforum.

There's one thing you shouldn't do, though: You shouldn't manually copy the MOBI from Calibre's library folder, and you don't need the metadata.opf at all. There's a lengthy explanation available, the short version is that Calibre isn't designed to operate that way- you should keep out of its library folder. If you connect your Kindle to the computer via USB, Calibre should recognize it and you can then transfer books to the Kindle by selecting "send to device". If you don't want to do that and have a WiFi/3G model, you can also email books to your device. Similarly, for the iPhone, you can use the "connect to iTunes" feature and then send the book to the iPhone "device".
Thanks very much for the help i will have a read and give things a try then post my results!
JonnyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBrad View Post
Thanks very much for the help i will have a read and give things a try then post my results!
What I posted will most likely not fix your issues, but it's the best practice solution to getting stuff from Calibre to your device. Like I said above, to get help concerning your synchronization issues, you'll probably have to ask in the Kindle subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBrad View Post
Hi there,

I've been reading advice on this forum about getting .mobi's to be able to sync last page read between iphones and kindles. However i appear to have run into a small problem.

So far what i have done is taken a mobi file and imported it to calibre and "converted" it to a new mobi. This produces a folder with the mobi an metadata.opf file and the cover picture.

Now i have uploaded the folder once to my kindle and once to my iphone kindle app (via iphone explorer (jailbroken)) Meaning both have the mobi and the metadata.opf file on.

If i commence reading on my iphone everything works great. I can switch off the phone then go to the kindle and it finds the last page read from my iphone and lets me read from there. However when i try reopening the kindle app on the phone. It always syncs back to page 1! It does this whether i have been reading on the kindle or whether i have just reopened the app at a later date. Which really isn't much use at all.

Is there something i'm doing wrong here? Everything works one way but doesnt from the other.

Just to summarise:- I use Calibre 0.7.48. Convert a mobi then transfer the metadata.opf and mobi files to my kindle and iphone app. The kindle syncs to last page read however the iphone always resets to page one everytime i open the book

If anyone could shed some light on where i'm going wrong it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121487

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Bookie T
Bookie T began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
For those of you trying to open a mobi file on iPhone you have to do a few things- register for free accounts with drop box (2.0 GB free storage, large for book files, and you get more for referrals) and an amazon account. There is a drop box app (free) that you can have on your phone then also on your pc where you can share files between devices. Then the Kindle app (free) allows you to open and read mobi files.

They both require register to an email address. You can download mobi files to your drop box, use the app on your idevice, then it has an icon similar to the email forward icon on the bottom right corner. It will then transfer it to the kindle app. I also had friends email me mobi files then used my drop box app to download and transfer them to kindle. Not sure if ebooks works on the iPhone, but I do know that the Stanza-a supposed app that accepts mobi files, and the iBooks apps (both free) won't work. Either they are not compatible with drop box or do not run mobi files.

Last edited by Bookie T; 11-10-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Bookie T is offline   Reply With Quote