Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Do ppl actually use any multimedia features ?

I just wanted to share with the community , that today my friend pointed out that I have the most boring iPad he's ever come across.

my Ipad apparently only has 2 icons Goodreader & iBooks , ibooks cover all my novels read in epub format , and goodreader pdf's

Thats' about the only usage of iPad I have ever done since I have bought it , and I am very very happy with it.

Are ppl here actually using their iPad as the multimedia machine ? I love the fast speeds of processor when handling a 50mb file , to zoom , pan but that's about it. It's a reading revolution .
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quite often, actually. I watch movies and tv shows on it, both steaming (ABC and Netflix) and some that I've purchased and stored for when I am out of WiFi range, specifically when I am on the road. I also play several games, mostly of the casual, easy to pick up and put down style.

It would be easy to think multimedia is most of what I use it for, but just this weekend my niece accused me of being boring since I have all this great stuff on the iPad, but all I use it for is reading. I am not convinced that she is an objective judge, as she is constantly on watch for me to put it down so she can get back to Harbor Master.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I use mine every day to watch video while on the treadmill.
I use OPlayerHD for playing locally stored (on the iPad) video files in formats that are not supported natively.
At home I also use AirVideo for streaming files stored on other machines on my network.
I have an iTouch as well which I use for audio, I like ooTunes for streaming radio.
For games, I mostly play puzzle and word ones.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-15-2010 at 03:24 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I have to say that while I really wanted the iPad because I figured it'd be much more pleasant to read ebooks on than my iPod Touch, I haven't actually read a book on it in the six weeks or so that I've had it. I watched a couple of TV shows and YouTube videos, and I've played a number of games. I've listened to podcasts on it. I've kept up on my news feeds and other websites (including this one) and my social networking sites. I've used SSH and VNC apps to make my home computer perform tasks while I'm away. And I've read way too many comic books. I still mean to read actual books on it, too, but if there's one way the iPad fails for me as an ereader it's that I can do so much other stuff on it (and that I'm easily distracted). If I had limited my apps to Stanza and Kindle, I would, no doubt, have a lot more iPad reading under my belt, but so far reading ebooks is one of the few things I haven't done.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I've watched a lot of videos on mine. I haven't used it for audio-only stuff very much. Generally if I'm listening to audio at home, I'm listening to spoken word content (podcasts, audiobooks) on my NLS player, which gets much better battery life and has a louder speaker. I tend not to listen to music without headphones so I use my iPod for that.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I frequently watch videos on my iPad. I also listen to podcasts, since I can download them directly to the device. Once I've upgraded to 4.2 I might run Pandora in the background.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
wow my friend is correct then , the most boring iPad ever ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I use mine every day to watch video while on the treadmill.
Where do you keep the ipad ? Not on the trademill I hope , coz you will look down while running , would cause quite a pain to your neck after a while.

I have also heard about the vlc app , how does it compare to OPlayerHD app ?
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiyabhai View Post
Where do you keep the ipad ? Not on the trademill I hope , coz you will look down while running , would cause quite a pain to your neck after a while.
The machine I use has a nice flat tray under the screen, so I stand it there, it is a pretty nice height for watching.

Quote:
I have also heard about the vlc app , how does it compare to OPlayerHD app?
The first version got pretty mediocre reviews. I've downloaded the second, but haven't tried it yet. The only thing I don't like about OPlayer is that it still crashes occasionally, but usually only after more than an hour, so as long as I stop and start it after each TV programme (~42 minutes each), I rarely have issues. I've certainly got my money's worth from OPlayer, but I use it a lot. Certainly worth trying the free VLC app first and see if that fits your needs.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I did not buy my iPad to read on, I bought it for the other stuff. I keep all my teaching PDFs on it, read stories to my students off it (it is picture book sized) and play music and video for them. I also use educational games. They love it, and I love having all my stuff without having to carry around endless bulky teaching manuals. I also have some fun video on it just for me, and some games, and the Zinio app which is the only reading I do on it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I bought an iPad for books, e-mail and Internet. I go online to read news and to look up stuff all the time, and to visit this forum. I also put audiobooks, music and a few movies on it, but I rarely use those features on iPad. I watched one movie, to test Netflix, and watched for a couple of hours on a long flight. Haven't watched anything since. I've got no interest in games or social networking.

My iPad might bore others, but they can get their own, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I mainly use mine for reading and web browsing.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I have

Hulu
Netflix
Joost
PBS - for news
TWIT.tv for tech news

Some sites like Rachel Maddow is HTML5 so you can watch straight from the browser.

There are amazing free photo sites like LIFE, Heritage, Flickr, etc ...

Also have most of the news apps - NYT, NPR, WP, Slate, HuffPo, WSJ, etc...

Also tried some of the magazine apps like Popular Mechanics but expensive.

Plus comic book apps.

Not trying and downloading apps on an iPad is a sin of omission. It's like going to the grocery store and coming out with a bag of potatos. There's so much out there, it's literally impossible to try them all.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Godofbeer
Godofbeer doesn't litterGodofbeer doesn't litter

Device: iphone4
pakiyabhai:

Forget what your friend says - it's your opinion that counts. Even if you never had a single app installed, with an internet connection, the Ipad can be used for countless things.

As others have suggested, there are lots of movies, TV and music sites that run directly thru a browser - so who needs apps?
Godofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote