Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
good housekeeping and files

Once I drag a file (epub, pdb, what have you) into Calibre, Calibre creates its own copy of that file in the proper folders in the Calibre library. So I might as well delete the original file that I dragged in, right? Is there any reason to keep the original file?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's up to you. Some people delete the originals for space reasons; some people keep them, or archive them, for backup reasons. Since ebooks are so tiny, relatively speaking, it's more a matter of tidiness than anything else. (I keep 'em, by the way ... but then again, I keep everything)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There are those who like to keep the original file simply to have a copy of what the ebook was like before it was added to Calibre. However, I personally, do not bother to keep the original. I do back up the whole Calibre library periodically in case something goes wrong.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
I wouldn't delete them until unless you are making back-ups of your calibre library. I don't delete mine until I am sure I have finished messing with it in calibre and the library is backed-up.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Once I drag a file (epub, pdb, what have you) into Calibre, Calibre creates its own copy of that file in the proper folders in the Calibre library. So I might as well delete the original file that I dragged in, right? Is there any reason to keep the original file?

Thanks,
eP
Especially if it's a different format than your device uses and you're using Calibre to convert it to what your reader likes, I'd suggest keeping the originals somewhere as backups or against the possibility that you'll later acquire a reader that likes the original format better (I'd think using the original file would work better than one that's been converted back and forth between formats).

If space is an issue, offline storage of the originals would work nicely.

Last edited by Seanette; 11-09-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: correcting typos
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I keep the original. I may archive them or store on DVD eventually.
But if you are never going to convert again then delete them if they are in the way.
Always have some kind of backup though as computers and software and even users are not yet perfect.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've got another vote for an "it depends".

I have PRC (Mobipocket) and PDB (eReader) ebooks that I liberated with earlier versions of the scripts that I was happy to read as-was, but newer versions of the scripts have left more true to the original (for example, I noticed recently that none of the italics had converted on one pair of ebooks I converted three years ago but only now got around to reading).

So having the original means I can run the newer scripts and have nicer copies of the converted.

Also, I have ebook versions that have the newest Calibre "title page", the previous version, and none. I have ebooks that I hard-coded as 12pt, then 14pt, then 16pt font (as my vision goes - jeez, it sucks to get old!)

For some of them, I've had better results using the original file and basically starting over. Some have "upconverted" okay from my initial set of Calibre files.

All that makes it useful to me to keep my original files. Besides, if somebody really starts fussing at users who liberate books for their own use, I can at least prove that I bought the original copy!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
A lot of good points here, thank you!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote