Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older
rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindle
What is your ideal writing environment?

I'm just curious what other writers on this forum feel about their ideal writing environment. Do you seek silence, solitude, or do you listen to music, seek bustle?

Personally, I write best with strangers around, as in a coffee shop. I didn't used to be able to listen to my own music when writing, but now I make a playlist of instrumental music that fits the tone of what i want to write. I've tried writing in a rather secluded environment--a cabin on a lake--but usually I feel like I have nothing to say.
rudykerkhoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ideally a location without other people or distractions. I like some background music just to set the tone.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Me and my computer. Then Armageddon can come and I won't notice. Ask my wife.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't like background music - I can't process my thoughts and the music simultaneously (when I play music, my mind insists on listening to the music).

I like natural quiet (birds, kids, ordinary suburban noises are mostly fine). I like a bit of air coming into the room. I like solitude. I like to have my books and references and personal paraphernalia and momentos around me...a room that is territorially-decorated mine.

(I haven't quite got this...but if we get the circular staircase in then Frog Hollow - the room behind the double-garage, with a sliding glass door to outside, next to the pool, rising rock-garden, overhanging palms, and pool-waterfall/stream - will be mine, oh, yes, it will be mine, for writing and photography. )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I wrote a good deal of TKL on my Palm using wireless keyboard while having lunch at work or sitting in my favorite breakfast joint on weekends. The noise didn't bother me at all. But sitting in my home office with the windows open, writing to the sounds of birds chirping is the best.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
A chair in a room that's preferably not on fire, full of shouting people or chores begging to get done.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really have one... I tend to tune out the environment when I write. So the only place I don't want to be is a place where I can't tune out the environment, which includes places like mosh pits, stock trading floors, gambling houses, strip clubs, race tracks and crashing airliners.

Mind you, if I'm in a strip club, I'm probably not interested in writing...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
basilsands
Arctic Warrior
basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I don't like background music - I can't process my thoughts and the music simultaneously (when I play music, my mind insists on listening to the music).
I like natural quiet (birds, kids, ordinary suburban noises are mostly fine).
Interestingly , I am the opposite to a degree. I do my best work with a bit of jazz or new age instrumental playing. No words in the music though, otherwise I too tend to listen. Quite often though natural noises draw my attention away from what I am doing and I want to watch the birds, kids, squirrels, moose, etc that are in my yard. I write primarily in the autumn/winter since Alaska's summer is 24 light and I cannot focus on sitting still during the only time we can get a lot of non-writing work done.
Therefore my best writing setting is in my comfy wingback recliner, in a dark room with only one lamp beside the chair, and my fish tank on the other side (fish are the only living thing that doesn't distract me). Bose QC2 headphones playing jazz or ambient music via Pandora or Slacker. Kids and wife in bed or busy elsewhere. Slowly sipping my beverage du jour. My Muse (whichever one happens to be present at the time) sits invisibly on the arm of my chair watching and whispering/coaxing me along.

Sometimes her hair gets in my eyes.
basilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seem to do my best writing when trapped in an office. Unfortunately, I must work in the same environment.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
In the middle of a field with my dog seems to be where my best dialogue comes from. If I sit in front of a computer I can't write anything at all.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older
rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Personally, if I'm at home and there's no music, I get distracted by the smallest things, so I try to play somewhat instrumental music. But, I seem to be one of the few people who prefers to write somewhere like a coffee shop, with other people and conversations around (although I'll still often listen to music on my ipod, again mostly instrumental or songs with rather unintelligable lyrics).
rudykerkhoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
A cafe. Doesn't matter how noisy it is, but it must be out of the house, and I must be on my own. I've got a lovely quiet house, but I can't write there, I keep getting distracted by all the stuff that needs to be done. In McDonalds, I don't have to do anything except knock out another thousand words.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I admit to a lot of surprise, bordering on shock, that a significant number of you talk about populated, or noisy places, like cafes. I always find it mighty pleasant to have my preconceptions overturned, even if I don't share the preference. Interesting.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I often go to a local restaurant for either lunch or coffee and have my netbook along to type on.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
julieannfelicity
julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julieannfelicity ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PC
I like writing where there's a little hum of background noise. For some reason it very soothing. I usually get to write when the kids and DH are in bed, so I play some soft music (nothing pop-ish or metal-ish) to make up for that quiet. Then again, there are times where I do like the quiet too.
julieannfelicity is offline   Reply With Quote