Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Whats that you have? An E-reader??

i have had my e reader for 3 months and take it with me everywhere i go, at work a lot of people are asking me about it, most are asking stupid questions and im getting tired of showing it to people who ask about it. has anyone else had stupid questions like this?

Why don't you just carry a book? ( i am, hundreds )

Why is the screen not color? (because most books are not you fool)

Can i watch videos on it? (no, again its an e book reader not a dvd player)

Why does it not have unlimited memory? ( 512 on board is good for hundreds of books and 4gb sd card for thousands, why would you want more?)

Can i get the bible on it? (how the hell would i know?!)

Do i have to download books for it? (no, just shove your paper books through the sd card slot!)

and my favorite! this was a real question asked just yesterday

Does it have an inbuilt printer? (i did not even bother answering that one)

do you have any amusing questions from stupid people when they see your e reader?

troykm :-)
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

I don't have any that come close to yours, but I about covered my keyboard with tea as I read through those.

A great laugh was just what I needed before I go out to brave the traffic and crowds for a couple of last minute things. Thanks.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I don't get the modern obsession about having every device you own having to have the ability to play video.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've only had my reader for a month so unfortunately I don't have any stupid questions to add. Most people don't even take a second look at my reader when I have it with me. I guess that ebook readers are still so new over here that the majority of people don't know what they are and don't want to look like idiots for asking,
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
...Do i have to download books for it? (no, just shove your paper books through the sd card slot!)...
Does anyone know the best way to clean a spit-take out of a keyboard?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I don't get the modern obsession about having every device you own having to have the ability to play video.
I agree with you on this. It seems to be an obsession with digital audio players (DAP) that they play videos too. The problem is, one of the features desired with DAPs is a small size, which means a small screen. That is something that works against watching videos.

I've had a few people ask me about my ebook reader, mostly they are interested in it, want a little information on it, and want to know how I like it. I haven't had too many annoying questions, just people who are truly interested in the device.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I should add I have had some very interested people asking decent questions, but I work in an industry where intelect is not mandatory, hence the dumb questions.

I don't get the video phenomenon either. I have never used my iPod or iPhone to play video. Not while I have a 50" plasma to use lol.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
When I got my kindle 2 last March, I started reading every day at lunchtime in the lobby of my building. Since I was pretty much in the direct line of travel for everyone I work with, there was a lot of curiosity and interest about the device. I got a bit tired of explaining the features of the device and showing them the e-ink screen, but I was glad if it created interest. One coworker got a kindle for his birthday recently and another was asking about one because he wanted to get it for his wife for Christmas.

Of course, they all taunted me when the DX came out and when the Nook was announced as if my device was suddenly inferior, outdated, or useless. Of course, I didn't have the heart to tell them I got a DX also for my technical reading

Fortunately, I never heard any questions as "out-there" as the ones in the OP.

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I had mentioned this in another thread, but one day I was reading the Kindle with the cover on. A fellow kept glancing over in my direction with a puzzled look on his face. Finally, he walked and glanced over my shoulder, looked at my Kindle, and said, "Oh, that's an e-reader! I thought you were taking a long time to turn the page!"
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
most asked question

Most of the time the questions I get are: What is it? Is it a kindle?

I have not gotten any really out there questions though.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've had someone ask me before if my Sony played videos. I'm like "uhh, no. It's for reading."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
I should add I have had some very interested people asking decent questions, but I work in an industry where intelect is not mandatory, hence the dumb questions.

I don't get the video phenomenon either. I have never used my iPod or iPhone to play video. Not while I have a 50" plasma to use lol.
Based on the questions you have endured, I gathered that most of your coworkers were not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Wow. I'm a bit surprised at the candor of this thread. How does asking a question about a piece of technology that is not quite mainstream in most parts of the world equate to being a stupid question? And further, how does asking a question about something you don't know much about equate to not being "the sharpest knife in the drawer"? Where I'm from the way you get smarter and gather more intellect is by asking questions and gathering more data. I'm grateful to be around people that are fairly patient with me when I ask questions.

Last edited by HaggisMacJedi; 12-19-2009 at 08:07 PM.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Hollie
Hollie doesn't litterHollie doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505/RC
I get alot of "Is that a laptop?"
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
When people ask me about my device, I try to be less pretentious and condescending towards them.

So let me redress the original poster's questions with my own answers, however witless:

Why don't you just carry a book?
Because I care enough about portability that I'm usually willing to trade quality and tangibility for it.

Why is the screen not color?
Because the technology is not yet sophisticated enough to display color.

Can i watch videos on it?
Unfortunately the screen technology is too primitive to support such things.

Why does it not have unlimited memory?
Because it's essentially a crude tablet computer, and all computers have finite memory.

Can i get [religious book] on it?
You would have to search for it, and perhaps download it illegally, which may be offensive in your belief system, but there's a good chance you could find it. For a biblical scholar or collector though, it's always best to have dedicated paper copies around.

Do i have to download books for it?
Yep, unless you want to stick with the free bundled books that come with the device when you buy it.

Does it have an inbuilt printer?
As amusing as that would be (and useful for document readers), it's not really feasible now.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote