Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
An argument we are having at work...

I was talking with some co-workers (one of whom does not read for fun) about a current book I am reading, and a problem I am having with it. Basically, I feel that the book does not make any sense. The two main characters get transported to the future, where there is a highly advanced technological utopia-esque society. Yet the entire world (except for a portion of mid-town Manhattan) has been rendered uninhabitable by nuclear war and other catastrophes. There are literally no people living anywhere else.

So, after pages of a parade of cool new technology including some special bathtubs, I started wondering how a society as 'large' as mid-town Manhattan would be able to sustain the manufacturing and agricultural infrastructure to support such things. It just did not make sense to me. If Manhattan was all you had to work with, you'd lose a lot of useable space just growing food to support the people, never mind manufacture the special bathtubs. It just defied logic that the society portrayed in the book could exist.

And he told me that it's all pretend anyway so it doesn't have to make sense. I say fiction or not, it still has to make sense and if there is some special explanation for something illogical, they need to clue the reader in. So, what do you think...it's all pretend so who cares, or I am right to demand an explanation.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
They use Star Trek replicators that were built before the end of the world in a factory in New Jersey.

My scifi doesn't have to make sense, as long as the story is good.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think you're right to want an explanation.
The 'willing suspension of disbelief' has its limits!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I totally agree with you whether fiction or not the premise behind the story and the technology must make sense (wow I think the grammar in this sentence is really bad but I can't think of any other way to say it!).

If things are just unfeasibly fantastic, as your example is, then I personally can't read the story anymore as I just start picking fault with everything and that destroys the enjoyment. I have to admit though I do the same with films most of my friends refuse to go with me anymore because I just spend most of the time picking holes in the plot lol.

Last edited by Mnementh; 07-29-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
They use Star Trek replicators that were built before the end of the world in a factory in New Jersey.

My scifi doesn't have to make sense, as long as the story is good.
If it doesn't make sense, arguably it isn't science fiction.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The idea, "it's fiction; it doesn't have to make sense" shows a lack of critical thinking skills. It says that you can't predict likely outcomes from given circumstances and premises... when that's how all of science works. It also shows a lack of imagination, a lack of ability to posit circumstances different from the ones that exist right now--because the idea that all not-factually-true situations are equally likely and believable is only possible for someone who never considers possibilities.

If a book snaps your disbelief suspenders, it could be that you're reading it from a different mindset than intended for the enjoyment of the book. (If you're gonna enjoy romance books, you have to accept the concept of instant-true-love-happy-ever-after, no matter how much real life tells you that it doesn't happen like that.) But it could also mean that the author has failed at worldbuilding--that she hasn't explained why Thing X works when Things Y & Z don't.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
You said the population is limited to mid-town Manhattan? Is Central Park mentioned at all? If it's not radioactive I'd imagine that it would be a large enough growing area to support a population limited to that small an area. There's also the possibility of fishing; Manhattan is almost completely surrounded by water. (Or is the river unusable as well?)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Mark Twain said it best: "Of course real life is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense."
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
First off, I would find it highly unlikely that the only habitable place after a nuclear war would be a portion of Manhattan. I would think that Manhattan, being the third largest borough in New York at approximately 23 square miles and very densely populated, would be one of the FIRST places targeted by a foreign power (or terrorist group) to nuke off the face of the earth. That to me is illogical scenerio #1. How could that one itsy-bitsy spot on the planet escape all harm????

Secondly, I agree with the subsequent illogical nature of the story without explanation as to how and where this advanced technology was manufactured along with the production of enough food and water to sustain whatever population was fortunate enough to have been protected by the magical "anti-catastophe bubble" they must have had over Manhattan when the proverbial sh** hit the fan.

I pick movies apart too, especially when the story line defies possibility far beyond all reason or extreme stretch of the imagination. At least make the science and fiction reasonably plausible.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is becoming clear that what we are all talking about is our frustration with bad scifi books and movies versus what can be done right if the author is skilled at telling a good story. I know that if I begin picking apart a book or movie, it is because I have suddenly realized that it is a big heaping pile of crap.

There is the point where they become so bad that they are good. I record every new SyFy network movie because they are in this category!

PS: I just reached that point with The Time Traveler's Wife. It's a train wreck and I can't put it down!

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-29-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Ah, but there are different rules for science fiction than literary fiction, and The Time Traveler's Wife is clearly literary fiction.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

food can be made in the park or in sky gardens

room to make thing can be made if you build up or if you build over roads
or hell make the city one big building if you realy need the room.

that being said Manhattan would be hit 1st and im not sure of where you would need to be to have the knowagle to be able to keep making suff(anything outside of what is normaly made in that area) if everything hit the fan...

somewhere near on of the google datacenters I would think.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

just thinking the issue would be where would you get the raw stuff from.. you would need to go into the nuclear waste to get the metel then treate it.

note: This should be in the Lounge right?
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Ah, but there are different rules for science fiction than literary fiction, and The Time Traveler's Wife is clearly literary fiction.
Maybe, but in my orderly fashion, I can't not rearrange the timeline in my head. And so in a chronological progression, it is a much less interesting story, to me at least. More like an outline and less like a narrative. I'm reading on, however, hoping he leaps back and accidentally kills his own grandfather or something.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Maybe, but in my orderly fashion, I can't not rearrange the timeline in my head. And so in a chronological progression, it is a much less interesting story, to me at least. More like an outline and less like a narrative. I'm reading on, however, hoping he leaps back and accidentally kills his own grandfather or something.
You might enjoy --All You Zombies-- more.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote