Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Block certain tags from downloading or deleting them automatically.

I love this program been using it for a few years, but finally getting my library under control.

I download tags from online sources and love the feature, but I end up deleting a lot of the useless tags and was wondering if there is a way to block them from downloading in the first place (maybe an ignore these tags list). Or to have them deleted automatically if they are downloaded.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can set what gets downloaded from each download site in Download configuration->Configure Selected Source The button's at the bottom of Edit Metadata panel, next to Download metadata button.

So if you like the tags from Goodreads and Google, but not from anywhere else then you would include Tags from GR & Googs and exclude them from every other site.

If you wanted to do a 'cleanup' you could remove all tags from all books, and then do a bulk metadata download of just the tags from your preferred sources - eg GR & Googs. It will take a while depending in the number of books you have.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks,I like some tags, not others, so I will look into this option, but would rather completely block certain tags, because as I add books, I will download new tags and it will keep downloading the tags I don't want, that's why I would prefer a sort of tag blacklist because even the best sources have some tags that just clutter up my library.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
I download tags from online sources and love the feature, but I end up deleting a lot of the useless tags and was wondering if there is a way to block them from downloading in the first place (maybe an ignore these tags list).
I solved this problem by only using the Goodreads Metadata source plugin to download tags. This plugin allows you to map the tags downloaded to your equivalent tag name or just plain not download tags you don't want. This mapping feature is great. I posted about how I used it here. I have around 10000 books and a manageable 240 tags.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Yeah, like DoctorOhh mentioned, the Goodreads plug-in has a mapping feature so you set it to convert tags you don't want want to something you do or just discard ones you don't want.

KiwiDude suggested/described a similar "Tag Cleaner" in the Plug In ideas thread that would do the same thing with existing tags from any data source, but so far no one has implemented the idea. Hopefully one day someone will take the idea and run with it. I wish I had the ability to do so as such a plug in would be a godsend.
But if you don't mind being limited to Goodreads' data, the Goodreads plug in works wonderfully.

Last edited by DedTV; 06-02-2013 at 06:14 AM.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
iridius
Connoisseur

DoctorOhh do you only use metadata from GoodReads? Do you find that they have most of your books' metadata?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Each metadata source can be configured to which of the site available metadata to use.

If you remove the tick from Tags on all OTHERS, only GR will supply tags.

Cover Metadata has a Preference number that can be set. The site that gives me my preferred cover gets a 1, the site that always returns too small covers gets a 5

it is better to leave fallback sources. If a site goes down (or changes), you get nothing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
iridius
Connoisseur

thanks theDucks, the problem I have is if I set it to only use GoodReads I don't get tags for a lot of books, and if I set it to have fallback sources then I get lower quality tags. I would like to get tags from Goodreads for all available books and if none available then and only then go to other sources. I don't think this is available from what I am seeing.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
DoctorOhh do you only use metadata from GoodReads? Do you find that they have most of your books' metadata?
I only use tags from Goodreads but I use metadata from various sources. Of the 10473 books I have in my library Goodreads had metadata for 96.4% of them. As a side note I only have ISBNs for 97.3% of those books.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-07-2015 at 07:01 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
iridius
Connoisseur

Wow. Thanks. That makes me feel better about using it. What is your metadata from where recommendation?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The most flexible and powerful solution for Tag management for Calibre is found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247425 . It is not just a plug-in, but rather an add-on, to Calibre. Its 59 page user guide is required reading prior to installation and first use due to its functional scope and power. Usually overkill for 99.9% of users, however, but highly cost-effective for those who add a lot of books per week, and/or have large libraries that are a mess from a metadata perspective.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks Dalton. I was reading the thread on that add-on a couple days ago. I will check it out further now I think as I believe I fall into that camp. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The "General" tag is one of my pet peeves. Every week or so I select all the books in my library and use "Edit metadata in bulk" to "remove tags" "General". Just in case.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
iridius
Connoisseur

Yeah, general, adult, and random dates and years drive me nuts. I go back and forth with the fiction/nonfiction tags bc I all fiction has parent genre of fiction and others by default are nonfiction so its a little redundant.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
The "General" tag is one of my pet peeves. Every week or so I select all the books in my library and use "Edit metadata in bulk" to "remove tags" "General". Just in case.
Why is always Senior Officers that get tagged?
Enlisted ranks do most of the work. Is there a Private or Seaman tag? Noooo!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote