Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #31
dest42
dest42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just tested on the Paperwhite:

If I email the file to my kindle email:
It shows in Docs and displays the cover.

If I transfer the file to the kindle via calibre:
It shows in Books and does not display the cover.
dest42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #32
den4ever
den4ever began at the beginning.

I am having the same problem. I transfered all my collections from my old Kindle to the Paperwhite & it worked perfectly but now when I try to send to device the books do not show up.When,as mentioned previously,I select 'All Items' nothing shows on the device not even my collections, but they do show when I go back to 'Books'

I tried deselecting 'use sub-categories but that did not help. I am using a Mac
den4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
Mine loaded just fine this morning, syncing via the Reading List plugin (~500 books). I am curious, however, as to what is the code that governs whether or not the embedded cover shows up...
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....or-android-etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #34
bmn001
bmn001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Some more observations about the Paperwhite, from someone who doesn't use USB-

Sending mobi files via email, it doesn't matter what you do (or don't) enter for "Personal Doc Tag" when converting. Files will always appear on the Paperwhite with the "Personal" banner across the cover when sent via *kindle.com addresses.

Sending azw3 files via email doesn't seem possible at all. Always get a bounce from Amazon: "The following document, sent at 05:47 AM on Thu, Oct 04, 2012 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified" Gotta stick to mobi.

They also seem to have done away with the dotted progress bar/chapter markers at the bottom of the screen. That's not something Calibre can help with though!
bmn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon started rewriting all files delivered via email as personal docs a while ago. And they have never supported email delivery of AZW3.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
dest42
dest42 began at the beginning.

I really don't mind my books showing in "Docs" as long as the cover art is there. It's such a tiny issue.
dest42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #37
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
To save folks a click:

Quote:
This is caused by a bug in the Amazon software. You can work around it by going to Preferences->Output Options->MOBI output and setting the “Enable sharing of book content” option. If you are reconverting a previously converted book, you will also have to enable the option in the conversion dialog for that individual book (as per book conversion settings are saved and take precedence).

Note that doing this will mean that the generated MOBI will show up under personal documents instead of Books on the Kindle Fire and Amazon whispersync will not work, but the covers will. It’s your choice which functionality is more important to you. I encourage you to contact Amazon and ask them to fix this bug.
This works fine on the PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest42 View Post
I really don't mind my books showing in "Docs" as long as the cover art is there. It's such a tiny issue.
My only issue is the banner that says "Personal" is pretty big and prevents me from reading the full title of the book at times.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
This is caused by a bug in the Amazon software. You can work around it by going to Preferences->Output Options->MOBI output and setting the “Enable sharing of book content” option.

The only problem with this method is that it will disable "last page read" syncing -- something I do not want to lose.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This is caused by a bug in the Amazon software. You can work around it by going to Preferences->Output Options->MOBI output and setting the “Enable sharing of book content” option.

The only problem with this method is that it will disable "last page read" syncing -- something I do not want to lose.
You can try emailing the document to your kindle address. It does a reformat so the cover shows up and is still a personal doc but syncing may work.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
GHDave
GHDave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie here, as far as this forum goes.

My Paperwhite came about an hour ago. It's in addition to the Touch I've had for a year. I was able to load a dozen books from Calibre (0.9.1) without difficulty. However, some show up as Books and some as Docs before they are put in Collections. And it turns out that you can't "Create New Collection" until you've turned on Wi-Fi and registered.

Can someone explain exactly what the indexing is? Is it wise to load relatively few books at a time?
GHDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #41
jbharman45
jbharman45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, 700, 900, Kindle 2/3, Nook, NookColor
Calibre Essential to the Kindle Paperwhite

After I received my Kindle Paperwhite, I was stumped with how to **quickly** get the 750 books in my current reading list off the Kindle Keyboard and on to the Kindle Paperwhite. I quickly learned that you cannot just use USB mode and copy the file from one to the other. It complains that they are not licensed.

So as to make sure that I had exactly the same file list, I pulled everything off the Kindle Keyboard into a new library in Calibre, ummm... *converting* them as they came off. I then dumped them back out to my waiting Kindle Paperwhite. I then applied Collections. About 25% did not properly go into the Collections, but that is because the names get somewhat jacked when *converted*. That's OK. I can do that work.

However, I will point out that it took nearly an hour for the Paperwhite to settle down and correctly show all the books. I have had no issues whatsoever with MOBI vs. AZW3. All show up as they should. Doing it this way, even the books from Baen correctly show up as Books, not Personal.

Thanks again, Kovid, for your outstanding work with Calibre. I cannot imagine doing all this without the tool.
jbharman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@jbharman: Glad to hear it, putting people in control of their book collections is my primary motivation for working on calibre
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #43
TLEvans
TLEvans began at the beginning.

OK... I think I know why the disappearing books seems so random. I was having the same problem. If I loaded one author everything worked normally, load second author and books were missing, most interesting the content purchased from Amazon always disappeared. In all of my testing, I kept using folders as that did not seem to be related to the issue.

Anyway, I converted both authors to .axw3 format and everything worked as expected. Converted back to .mobi and everything worked as expected. This led me to the conclusion that somewhere in the Calibre past there was a bug that my Kindle Keyboard did not detect that the causes the new Paperwhite software to choke.

Hope this helps! Thanks to everyone who got me on the right path!!!

Last edited by TLEvans; 10-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.
TLEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #44
maliciousloki
Member Retired
maliciousloki is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW, KKBx2, K4NT
FIXED! Possible checkbox/bug for Calibre?

Never mind - deleting my post, you can use the plugin instead.

Last edited by maliciousloki; 10-08-2012 at 02:13 PM.
maliciousloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@maliciousloki: There's a FAQ entry for this, but, basically, there's far less tedious workaround:

Enable the 'Enable sharing of book content...' in mobi/azw8 output settings.

With that setting, Calibre won't set EXTH 113, which in turns makes the Kindle generate the thumbnail itself.
Granted, on the PaperWhite, that might also mean ending up with the file flagged as PDOC.

Note that Calibre also sideload a thumbnail itself, which might not be properly sized/formated for the PaperWhite, which is why with a book with EXTH 113 set to something other than an Amazon ASIN (like the UUID Calibre uses and rely on) you get a broken thumbnail, while this workaround is perfectly effective on the Touch.

Now, a couple of things to understand about what you did: you effectively prevent Calibre from identifying the book on your device via its UUID (it's, among other things, used to match a book on device with a book in your library). Calibre will fall back to other metadata to do this match, sure, but it might be less accurate, less efficient, and probably will break if you use a metadata plugboard.
(And, FWIW, the only thing needed to achieve what you wanted are: set exth113 to the real Amazon ASIN. Delete the thumbnail and rely on your Kindle wireless connection to pick it up (if the ASIN matches) or upload it yourself.)

As I've said in other threads like this, I will look into updating the 'let's sideload the thumbnail ourselves' workaround for it to work properly on the PaperWhite, if possible, as soon as I get mine.

But basically, right now, you've got two 'easy' choices:

* Check 'Enable sharing of book content...' in mobi/azw3 output setting. You get a working cover, but a pdoc tag, and no syncing.
* Send your book to your Kindle email address. You get a working cover, (a pdoc tag?), working sync, it clutters your Cloud drive (that might be a plus for some ^^), but you can't send AZW3 files.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2012 at 08:23 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote