Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
$16.31 to remove SO from my Fire HD

After reading various blog reports and seeing a few videos of the Fire HD with Special Offers, I've decided that the ads are too intrusive for my tastes. I've had no problems with them on my Kindle Touch but the Fire HD looks to have stepped up the game.

I ordered my Fire HD before the California Tax went into effect [Fire will be delivered today]. I wrongly assumed that I would not have to pay tax on the $15 upgrade. Luckily the tax was on the $15 and not $214.

I believe I can turn the Special Offers on and off again should I hear of a really good offer [I tried it once with my non-SO K3 just to see if I could]. If I am able to do this, then I think I'll have the best of both worlds.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
After reading various blog reports and seeing a few videos of the Fire HD with Special Offers, I've decided that the ads are too intrusive for my tastes. I've had no problems with them on my Kindle Touch but the Fire HD looks to have stepped up the game.

I ordered my Fire HD before the California Tax went into effect [Fire will be delivered today]. I wrongly assumed that I would not have to pay tax on the $15 upgrade. Luckily the tax was on the $15 and not $214.

I believe I can turn the Special Offers on and off again should I hear of a really good offer [I tried it once with my non-SO K3 just to see if I could]. If I am able to do this, then I think I'll have the best of both worlds.
You are still supposed to pay tax on physical goods purchased from Amazon, whether or not they collected it (except for groceries and the like). But Sep 15 was the date when they started collecting.

What did you find intrusive, BTW? Does it not only show on the unlock screen? Having turned them off, do you no longer have a Special Offers tab on the Home screen?

Personally I don't think they would bother me, if it just the unlock screen and additional category on Home page. Not planning to get a new Fire for awhile, however, so my belief is likely to remain largely unfounded until then.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
The ads on the lock screen don't bother me at all. It is the "customers also bought" section that occupies the lower 1/3 of the screen that I find offensive (and isn't removed when you pay the $15 to opt-out). That section updates depending upon the currently highlighted item in the carousel. Ironically, that area is blank for media and apps that have been sideloaded.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You are still supposed to pay tax on physical goods purchased from Amazon, whether or not they collected it (except for groceries and the like). But Sep 15 was the date when they started collecting.
I do. I save my receipts and pass them on to my tax accountant. I just thought that this charge would be part of that packet.

Quote:
What did you find intrusive, BTW? Does it not only show on the unlock screen? Having turned them off, do you no longer have a Special Offers tab on the Home screen?
I don't have a problem with the lock screen ads at all. This morning, I was watching a youtube video from reverendkjr where he was demoing the video playback quality of the Fire HD. At 13:36, he pauses the playback and a Hulu Ad pops up at the top of the screen. I know me. That will drive me nuts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hulu ad.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	92518  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That Hulu Plus ad is coming from MX Player not the KFHD itself. I use MX Player and it is ad supported. Donating removes the ads.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That Hulu Plus ad is coming from MX Player not the KFHD itself. I use MX Player and it is ad supported. Donating removes the ads.
That's good to know, thanks. I still think I'll be happier keeping Special Offers off unless I hear of something "special".
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's good to know, thanks. I still think I'll be happier keeping Special Offers off unless I hear of something "special".
One of the special offers was for a $5 credit for Amazon mp3, no strings attached. I was surprised by that. If they have more of those, then I might actually LIKE lock screen ads.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 09-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
One of the special offers was for a $5 credit for Amazon mp3, no strings attached. I was surprised by that. If they have more of those, then I won't mind the lock screen ads.
Yes and since I don't have my Fire HD yet, I first learned about that deal from Koland a couple of days ago. I subscribe to her blog, so I'm pretty sure I won't miss anything really cool.