Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner View Post
if it has no ui , then how do i select a rom?
You specify the ROM file with a command line parameter, when executed from SSH or from a launcpad command.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #47
Conner
Enthusiast
Conner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
ok i have no clue, so i better leave this one..
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #48
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner View Post
ok i have no clue, so i better leave this one..
Somebody wrote a script that gives you a menu of ROMs to select (mentioned in an earlier post in this thread). Hawhill requested that it be shared. That may help you.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #49
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

Please find the script below. This has to be ran from Kite or Launchpad (I have never tested it on launchpad).

The keyboard entry part is from Geekmaster.

Please put all your roms in the ./roms directory.

The program will start with ls of the roms, which must have .gb extension. You then type the rom you want.

I had to use aA for the enter key, because the kindle screen somehow is not deactivated.

The code is not pretty, and I am sure someone on the forum can make this A LOT better.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#===================================================
# getkb - get translated ascii keys from K3 keyboard
# v1.2                                 by geekmaster
# STDOUT: pressed keys, until Enter key pressed.
#---------------------------------------------------
getkb() {
  eips -z 2 38  # scroll
  XP=0
  YP=39
  DN=/dev/null
  KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxcvbnm_."
  KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXCVBNM_,"
  KP="1234567890____~@#$%^&*()____<>[]{}?/\_____;:'|-+=_?"
  KM=$KN
  ST=""
  while :;do
    eips $XP $YP "$ST""_ "
    L="_"
    set $(waitforkey); K=$1 D=$2
    [[ $D -eq 0 ]]&& continue
#    [[ $K -eq 28 ]]&& break # enter
    [[ $K -eq 190 ]]&& break # use Aa for enter
    [[ $K -eq 14 ]]&& ST="$(echo ${ST%?})" && continue # del
    [[ $K -eq 42 ]]&& KM=$KS && continue # shift
    [[ $K -eq 126 ]]&& KM=$KP && continue # Sym
    [[ $K -eq 57 ]]&& L=" " # space
    [[ $K -le 52 ]]&& L="$(echo \"$KM\"|cut -b$K-$K)"
#    [[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& L="($K)"
    [[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& continue
#    echo -n "$L"
    ST="$ST$L"
    KM=$KN
  done
  echo "$ST"
}

putei() {
  st=$1
  ii=${#st}
  while [ $ii -ge 0 ] 
  do
    eips -z 2 38  # scroll
    eips 0 39 "$(echo $st | cut -b-50)"  # write to the bottom
    st="$(echo $st | cut -b51-)"
    ii=$(( ii - 50 ))
  done
}

killall -stop cvm launchpad 2>$DN 
cd /mnt/us/fbgnuboy
eips -c;
putei "fbgnuboy - Games Boy Advanced Emulator"
putei ""
putei "Available ROMS -"
putei "$(ls ./roms)"
putei ""
putei "Execute Which ROM?"
HOME=/tmp ./fbgnuboy ./roms/"$(getkb)".gb 2>gnuboy.log
killall -cont cvm launchpad 2>$DN
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #50
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Also, I found the following to work well:

Centipede
Asteroids

My son likes the Pokemon games - like Fire Red and Red Advance - and Magical Tower.

Games like Cliffhanger don't work well on e-ink because the whole screen scrolls.

BTW, I found the TTS feature gets my kids to read books. They like to have children's books read to them.

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Thank you jmseight for your script. I was using myts and a few aliases via the 'profile' file inside the myts folder to run this emulator, but your method is much better.

Although, I did notice two issues I had to alter a little to make it work for me for Launchpad. I simply changed "*.gb" to "*.g*" at the bottom (since the emulator runs GameBoy color games as well "*.gbc"; though I don't think it would have mattered), and I changed the two lines that start and stop cvm, since yours, I'm guessing, was for use with Kite, and not Launchpad. Therefore, you can either have two scripts, one for Launchpad and one for Kite, or just one, set for whichever you use.

So far so good. It takes a bit to actually close the program for some reason once pressing "HOME", but not a big issue. Thanks.

via LAUNCHPAD or KITE: /mnt/us/fbgnuboy/gameboy.sh (by jmseight)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#===================================================
# getkb - get translated ascii keys from K3 keyboard
# v1.2                                 by geekmaster
# STDOUT: pressed keys, until Enter key pressed.
#---------------------------------------------------
getkb() {
  eips -z 2 38  # scroll
  XP=0
  YP=39
  DN=/dev/null
  KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxcvbnm_."
  KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXCVBNM_,"
  KP="1234567890____~@#$%^&*()____<>[]{}?/\_____;:'|-+=_?"
  KM=$KN
  ST=""
  while :;do
    eips $XP $YP "$ST""_ "
    L="_"
    set $(waitforkey); K=$1 D=$2
    [[ $D -eq 0 ]]&& continue
#    [[ $K -eq 28 ]]&& break # enter
    [[ $K -eq 190 ]]&& break # use Aa for enter
    [[ $K -eq 14 ]]&& ST="$(echo ${ST%?})" && continue # del
    [[ $K -eq 42 ]]&& KM=$KS && continue # shift
    [[ $K -eq 126 ]]&& KM=$KP && continue # Sym
    [[ $K -eq 57 ]]&& L=" " # space
    [[ $K -le 52 ]]&& L="$(echo \"$KM\"|cut -b$K-$K)"
#    [[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& L="($K)"
    [[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& continue
#    echo -n "$L"
    ST="$ST$L"
    KM=$KN
  done
  echo "$ST"
}

putei() {
  st=$1
  ii=${#st}
  while [ $ii -ge 0 ]
  do
    eips -z 2 38  # scroll
    eips 0 39 "$(echo $st | cut -b-50)"  # write to the bottom
    st="$(echo $st | cut -b51-)"
    ii=$(( ii - 50 ))
  done
}

# killall -stop cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -stop cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad
cd /mnt/us/fbgnuboy
eips -c;
putei "fbgnuboy - Games Boy Advanced Emulator"
putei ""
putei "Available ROMS -"
putei "$(ls ./roms)"
putei ""
putei "Execute Which ROM?"
HOME=/tmp ./fbgnuboy ./roms/"$(getkb)".g* 2>gnuboy.log
# killall -cont cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -cont cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad
Note: the above script does not work if directly run from a terminal emulator (at least not with myts) It might even freeze the Kindle. Therefore, if you want to run fbgnuboy in that way feel free (of course, why would you want to since the above script works fine with Launchpad (and Kite, though I have not tried that method)).

Perhaps hawhill should add jmseight's script to the first post of this thread and then it will be super easy for people to install and run the GameBoy emulator with only Launchpad or Kite.

Last edited by inameiname; 04-17-2012 at 12:32 AM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Also, I found the following to work well:

Centipede
Asteroids

My son likes the Pokemon games - like Fire Red and Red Advance - and Magical Tower.

Games like Cliffhanger don't work well on e-ink because the whole screen scrolls.

BTW, I found the TTS feature gets my kids to read books. They like to have children's books read to them.

Thanks,
James
Basically those old-school games that don't have a lot of fast-moving imagery work best. Some include Othello, Centipede, Battleship, Ms. Pac-Man, Tetris, and etc. I do believe many of the RPG games (and even some of the Gameshow ones) could work as well, depending on how much actual action/movement they entail. I suspect ones like Dragon Warrior and Jeopardy would be just fine.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #53
geekmaster

Although this video is from a Nook Simple Touch (on android, eink pearl screen), it shows what the kindle eink should also be able to do. This video shows only pure black and white thresholding (no dithering), but still interesting.

We should be able to do this on the kindles too:

EDIT: Without a touchscreen (K3, K4), we could do something similar using the 5-way to move a cursor, and alt-5-way to zoom... Of course, the K5 has a touchscreen.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
n3rd4i
n3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to behold

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
hi

how can i compile this gnuboy source code?
do i need cross compiler? i'm using W7 op sys, do i need linux for this?
or could i compile directly on kindle?
n3rd4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rd4i View Post
how can i compile this gnuboy source code?
do i need cross compiler? i'm using W7 op sys, do i need linux for this?
or could i compile directly on kindle?
You need a cross-compiler.
They are resources index'd in the "Tools" catagory.

Yes, you can do it on Win7 (the Window cross-compilers are also listed).

It is easier to do (and get right) on Linux.

Yes, you can compile directly on the Kindle - but it is not very practical - the Kindle doesn't have build tools installed. Once you had gotten past that speed bump, you will wish you had just cross-compiled from Linux/x86 to Linux/arm.

There is also a special "C" code compiler that runs on the Kindle, checkout the GeekMaster guide to tinycc (tcc).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #56
geekmaster

It took me 12 hours to build X11 on my K3, using arm debian build tools in a debian chroot. Using crosstools on a host PC would be MUCH faster.

I successfully installed win32 CodeSourcery GCC inside the win32 CodeBlocks IDE on my WinXP VM, and I also sometimes use linux CodeSourcery GCC inside the linux CodeBlocks IDE.

In linux, I find it easier to just use gcc (or make) from the command line. But in windows, I like using CodeBlocks better. CodeBlocks supports editing (with syntax highlighting and code folding), compiling without leaving the editor, and debugging (breakpoints and single-stepping through the source code). Clicking error messages takes you right to the offending line in the editor. Nice!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It took me 12 hours to build X11 on my K3, using arm debian build tools in a debian chroot. Using crosstools on a host PC would be MUCH faster.
You want pain and suffering?
Try building OpenOffice on a Kindle.

Oh, wait, there is only 3Gbyte of user space, I don't know if you can get all of the source code to OO in only 3Gbytes.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #58
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Oh, wait, there is only 3Gbyte of user space, I don't know if you can get all of the source code to OO in only 3Gbytes.
A more practical "native compiler engine" - -
One of the new, dual core, 1.2Ghz, Samsung Smartphones.

Please, no one ask me how to set that one up. (Unless your buying the 'phone for me).
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #59
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Compile on a mounted drive.

Back in the day, I did big compiles in a tiny OpenWRT WRT54G, using a swap file on an nbd (network block device) drive mounted over wifi! Nfs and SMB could not be used reliably for a swap file, so I used nbd instead (which worked great even over wifi).

Then I used a huge network share to contain all the stuff I was building. You can use a network share to get past that 3GB limit.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It still needs a sizeable amount of RAM to build (with GCC / -O2), according to the Gentoo ebuilds (512MB RAM/6GB Disk).

It's a monstrous thing to build, even on a modern Linux desktop . The libreoffice guys have made some progress on cleaning up the cruft/updating the buildsystem, but it's still as annoying as ever on Gentoo, when it breaks because of a stupid soname bump in an obscure dependency... ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote