Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Android-powered smartphones: cheap ideas?

My iPod Touch (secondary eBook reader) died not too long ago, and I've decided to ditch my dumbphone and stop carrying two things when I can carry only one. However, I'm getting slightly scared about the prices I'm seeing for phones like the HTC Desire (which seems btw a great thing). What would be ideas for Android-powered phones with humbler price tags?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
I am loving my X10 but the price tag is not humble. I know there are cheaper ones out there. FWIW, I was never a smart-phone dude before but man it seems like there is nothing this thing cannot do. I watch movies, take movies, take pictures, play games, use it as a street-level GPS (GPS + Google street maps is a wonderful thing). If social networking is your thing this keeps you wired into everything. I am only doing the Facebook thing so I am not getting my "all" out of it but at a touch I can see what all my friends are up to and if one posts something cool with a touch of the screen I can call them up. More, mine has facial recognition built into the camera so if I (say) take a picture of a friend, it knows it and automatically labels the picture with their name, also it can tell when people are smiling in the view-finder so it waits to take the snap until they are. There is a lot more but you get the idea. Through Android I get the ebook readers, I can watch the news, do all of the usual web/net stuff. The X10 Mini is about half the price but there are a ton of models inbetween (Ask KennyC about his Droid)....the choice is yours for once.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, I didn't compare them all, just went for the Droid X based on reviews I'd read and knowing it was big .. e.g. a bit more bulky to carry, but to be honest not much more than the iPhone 3G I carry for work (so now I carry two big phones ).

I love love love my Droid X and have been using it a lot for ebook reading on my early morning walks. It's wonderful for that. as well as everything else it does, mp3 player, video player, phone, browser, etc etc etc.

Love it! It was $200 with a two year contract commitment.

The biggest sticker shock for me was the more than doubling of my monthly service fee from about $45 - $95 or so. I dropped DirecTV though ($47/mo) which makes up for it.

My son has the HTC Hero (but has had a few issues with it after the upgrade to Android 2.2) my other son has the original Google Phone (not sure of the model).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Sprint just announced a trio of new Android Phones. Two of them are available now, the Samsung Transform has a 3.5" screen with the same resolution as the original iPod Touches, and costs $150 with a two year contract. Then there is the Sanyo Zio; its got a high resolution screen, but initial reports are not terribly favorable but it costs $100 with a contract. The third phone is available at the end of the month and its the bargin of the lot; its the LG Optimus S. Initial reviews seem quite favorable and it is only $50 with a two year contract. Of course, like most contract smart phones they make you get the data plan, if if the phone supports wifi; on the bright side, Sprint still has the most affordable smart phone plans out there. You might look and see if Cricket, Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile to see if they have any smart phones that support wifi... they might let you get the phone with just a voice plan and then you can use wifi for connecting to the internet.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've finally picked up a Samsung Galaxy S. Actually it wasn't on my list, but my carrier made me an offer that a shiny-addicted can't refuse, and I took the plunge. Thanks for the advice, I guess I¡ll be hanging on this subforum as well (it's not like I need an excuse to lurk in MR anyways ).

See you!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congrats!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Now they are beginning to roll-out Froyo 2.2 for Galaxy S owners in Europe.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa

Samsung doesn't release Kies for Linux. Plus, seemingly Froyo doesn't give any significant update in performance. After installing and enjoying the One Click Lag Fix, it'sm going to be hard to go back to the standard.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Kies? wtf? Is that the code-name for some version of Android?
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
Kies? wtf? Is that the code-name for some version of Android?
No that a something that is worse than itunes never thought I would say such a thing.
But as its Android you can work around it and don't need to install it unlike an Iphone where you would be stuck with Itunes.

@Logseman

I am waiting for this to get a stable release after that goodbye Rfs

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809109

by the way a guy in xda just recently released an open source flasher that you can use to flash in linux. But it doesn't restore your settings like kies does.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've finally picked up a Samsung Galaxy S. Actually it wasn't on my list, but my carrier made me an offer that a shiny-addicted can't refuse, and I took the plunge. Thanks for the advice, I guess I¡ll be hanging on this subforum as well (it's not like I need an excuse to lurk in MR anyways ).

See you!
A friend of mine has that phone, and it has a beautiful display! I hope you enjoy it!

(I have an LG Ally, which is an entry-level Android phone, but I am blown away with what I can do on it. I love Android, and have lost all desire for an iPhone now.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've finally picked up a Samsung Galaxy S
Congratulations. I picked up my Galaxy S GT-I9000 this week, too. What are you using for reading e-books? So far, I'm just using Aldiko, but an updated version from the market, not the one that comes preloaded on the phone. I changed the colors around to make it easier on the eyes: sienna background with black text.

I've heard Froyo/2.2 gives a noticeable improvement when surfing the internet.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa

Kies is the phone's management suite. Since I don't have Windoze, I can't give word about its perfotmance.

As an ebook reader, I'm ssriously underwhelmed by Aldiko (the version which comes with the phone). It takes more time than my PB to boot with thephone having WAY much more horsepower, and its catalog is reduced to Feedbooks. I'll go get the market update. Eventually I'd like go delete my carrier's crapware, but that will have to wait ntil I research a bit more about what Roms are available. As you can guess, I DON'T want to brick this.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Aldiko from the market isn't any faster, but it's more customizable. No note-taking feature as far as I'm aware, though. I'm going to give that Android eBook reader clients thread another read to see which one meets my needs. I came from Mobipocket on a Palm OS device, so I'd like something similar.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
kennyc

I use both Aldiko and FBReader.

I've also got the Kindle app which is good as well for kindle books and access to your Kindle library at Amazon.