Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Kindle purchase question

As currently I would have to pay an uknown amount in customs fees for Kindle (which unfortunately I will not know how much it is until Kindle actually arrives) is the option of having a friend living in the US buy it for me available?

I mean is the Kindle which is bought in US supposed to... stay there?
And also, is there a problem when person A buys it, but person B uses it?
Will it hinder its use in any way?

Thanks
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no problem at all. When your friend buys it, it will be registered to him. He will need to "unregister" it from his Amazon account, and you can then register it to yours.

All Kindles are "international" and the 3G wireless communications will work in any country in which Amazon supports it.

There's absolutely no problem with using a Kindle in a different country from which it was bought.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
As currently I would have to pay an uknown amount in customs fees for Kindle (which unfortunately I will not know how much it is until Kindle actually arrives)
If I'm not mistaken all the fees will be calculated by Amazon once you order the device. Therefore there should be no extra fees other than the once you pay to Amazon when ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
is there a problem when person A buys it, but person B uses it?
Will it hinder its use in any way?
The only thing that matters is the Amazon account the device is registered too. You could certainly have someone buy it for you and then register the device to your own Amazon account. The use will not be hindered in any way.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Thanks guys,

thinkpadx, unfortunately the fee calculation works only for specific countries:
http://www.amazon.com/International-...node=230659011

(list bottom left of page)
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know GlassX, thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know where you live, but do you not have a government web site which explains customs duties? Eg, in the UK there's no import duty on a device like an ebook reader; all that's payable is VAT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I thought I saw somewhere that the person buying the Kindle can say it's a gift, and postpone it being registered until the final owner receives it.

It might help if you post what country you live in.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
GlassX
Connoisseur

I'm in Greece. For example someone that purchased a 300ish Kindle DX had to pay 150 Euros for custom fees. That's way too much. I wouldnt have to pay if it was bought from an EU country but unfortunately that is not available through amazon.co.uk
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
thinkpad
David

If you don't need the latest model an alternative would be to try to get a used one from the flea market. Preferably from a user located somewhere in the EU. That way you would avoid the extra charges.

I would think there would be at least some users waiting to upgrade to the K3 and therefore selling there current Kindle.