Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What exactly does the JE100 firmware update improve? If it is better than the existing firmware, I might as well apply it. Can someone PM me the link? Much thanks! I am enjoying my JE100.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
What exactly does the JE100 firmware update improve? If it is better than the existing firmware, I might as well apply it. Can someone PM me the link? Much thanks! I am enjoying my JE100.
I don't think anyone knows if there are any differences at all but I do know it has resolved problems some users have had with their devices not booting and double tapping not working. If the device is working perfectly, I doubt you will find any difference. I'll send you a PM just in case you ever need it.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Mr.X Senior
Mr.X Senior began at the beginning.

Device: None
Well, I think jointech really needs to improve its JTOS application.
Otherwise , as a OEM software which run on the 7" device - you could find excet device on internet, of course without JE logo on it - need to be improved A LOT.

Everyone could write something like JTOS and get OEM device , same device.
Mr.X Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #19
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
JTOS is a very big piece of crapware...

To avoid it and start directly with Windows CE shell, you need to do the next:

-Go to /jtos/HOME/Extra and copy WindowsCE.exe into /jtos
-Rename STARTUP.EXE as STARTUPORIG.EXE ot another name.
-Rename Windows.CE.exe as STARTUP.EXE
-Reboot

After that you will have the normal Windows CE Shell.

This can be done messing with the registry, but I think this way is less dangerous...

BTW do it carefully or you will need to reflash.

BTW once you have CE Shell running you can use Visual Studio remote tools to connect to the device.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
StevenK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
BTW once you have CE Shell running you can use Visual Studio remote tools to connect to the device.
Thanks for these instructions. I definitely want to avoid JTOS. However, what do you mean when you say you can use Visual Studio remote tools to connect to the device? Will ActiveSync no longer work? I don't have Visual Studio. Do mean that you can connect with VS, whereas you couldn't before?
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #21
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for these instructions. I definitely want to avoid JTOS. However, what do you mean when you say you can use Visual Studio remote tools to connect to the device? Will ActiveSync no longer work? I don't have Visual Studio. Do mean that you can connect with VS, whereas you couldn't before?
No, you still need ActiveSync or Mobile Device Center to do the main connection and work as normal user.

But with Visual Studio remote tools (Standard version or upper) you can connect and see Windows CE internals and see/edit processes, memory, registry and if you installs "Standard Windows CE 5 SDK" from Microsoft you can develop in Visual Studio and remote connect and run your programs into the device.

And if you have Platform Builder 5 you can build an emulator that will mimic the JE200 device and use the emulator instead the device to early stage development. Yesterday I did one but I still need to add debug support into image to allow Visual Studio connect into the emulator as if it were the JE200.

Unfortunately I cannot share that emulator image because it's done with Platform Builder that owns the company I work for. At least I will need to ask when done.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #22
gabriel2503
gabriel2503 began at the beginning.

Device: je-100
hy katelyn.can u help me pls with the firmware for mi je100? can u pls send it to me?
i don´t know what should i do .plsss plsssss help me . gabriel2503@yahoo.com
gabriel2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
DiamondBat
DiamondBat began at the beginning.

Device: je100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I don't think anyone knows if there are any differences at all but I do know it has resolved problems some users have had with their devices not booting and double tapping not working. If the device is working perfectly, I doubt you will find any difference. I'll send you a PM just in case you ever need it.
I too would like the link to the update please. I have the 200. Thanks in advance.
My email is Batty_Jewel@hotmail.com
DiamondBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #24
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Sent PMs. Please just send me a PM and not post here. I feel so exposed.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
StevenK
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=rfog;808384]JTOS is a very big piece of crapware...

QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the /jtos folder, but I guess that's because I have the JE100, not the JE200. Is there a way to boot directly to Windows CE with the JE100?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
rfog
Guru

Quote:
I'm not seeing the /jtos folder, but I guess that's because I have the JE100, not the JE200. Is there a way to boot directly to Windows CE with the JE100?
I do not have a JE100 then I cannot help you. If it does starts a custom shell that shell must be in any place, but most secure way to test what program is really loading is to connecti JE100 with Visual Studio Remote Process Viewer...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
bambi
Enthusiast
bambi began at the beginning.

Device: HX4700 Je100 EkenM003 WPDN NookColor
[QUOTE=StevenK;814715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
JTOS is a very big piece of crapware...

QUOTE]

The start up shell of the JE100 is \windows\startup_console.exe
I made my JE100 to start directly into WindowsCE by changing the registry. Using a freeware PHPregedit, http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=31 , looking for a registry key \HKLM\init\Launch50\startup_console.exe and replace it with \HKLM\init\Launch50\exploler.exe then reboot.
Be very careful when playing with the registry though. I would do a registry backup first and try to make a registry restore(at lease) one time before doing anything more daring. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
StevenK
Enthusiast

Thanks so much, bambi! I'm going to try that.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks bambi, that worked perfectly!
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #30
luisrodgon
luisrodgon began at the beginning.

Device: Jointech JE200
Hello:
I have a Jointech 200 and it's "dead". I don't get the original software, and the link of jointech.com for update did not solve the problem. I need the original firmware. ¿Can you help me?
Thanks in advance
luisrodgon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, hard reset, je200