Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's a mistake in the first post for The Wind in the Willows. It's actually 157 ADE pages long and not 197.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, some of the best cricket books aren't easily available in the US, for the simple reason that y'all don't actually know anything about cricket. But I think one of the PG Wodehouse books might be a good fit, so I'll nominate Mike and Psmith, an early Wodehouse. I've never read it, so have no knowledge of how good or bad it is, but even less successful Wodehouse books are usually quite funny, so it's worth a shot. It's Public Domain at Project Gutenberg, and available inexpensively from multiple retailers.

Project Gutenberg -- FREE
AmazonUS: -- FREE
AmazonCA: -- $1.99 CAD
AmazonAU: -- $3.81 AUD
AmazonUK: -- £1.84 GBP (there are cheaper, but this one is WhisperSync.)

The book is available from Libraries through Overdrive, and there are Audible editions everywhere except the U.S.
It turns out that this book is the second half of a book that was split in two by the publisher.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179
Quote:
Wodehouse, P.G.: Mike (Illustrated). v1. 30 Jun 07
"Mike - A Public School Story" is a hilarious account of the schooldays of "Mike". I should explain to our American friends that a "public school" in British terminology is, in fact, an exclusive private school (schools like Eton, Harrow, and Rugby are all "public schools"), and that this book is all about cricket.

I try to think so, said Mr. Spence, "but it's a struggle. There's a Napoleonic touch about the business that appeals to one. Disorder on a small scale is bad, but this is immense. I've never heard of anything like it at any public school. When I was at Winchester, my last year there, there was pretty nearly a revolution because the captain of cricket was expelled on the eve of the Eton match. I remember making inflammatory speeches myself on that occasion. But we stopped on the right side of the line. We were satisfied with growling. But this----!"

Note: There is a book available on PG called Mike and Psmith. This is simply the 2nd half of this rather long book, which was originally split into two halves by the publishers.

Enjoy!
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's a mistake in the first post for The Wind in the Willows. It's actually 157 ADE pages long and not 197.
That's not a mistake. For consistency, I chose to use Goodreads numbers, which I try to do for all books that the nominator doesn't provide numbers for.

Quote:
It turns out that this book is the second half of a book that was split in two by the publisher.
The full book used to be on MR, but was removed in the great culling. I would suggest nominating the full book.
No thanks. For several reasons, including length and the availability of a matching WhisperSync version in some countries.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
We try not to get too picky about that type of detail. The intent is to give some idea of how long the book is. We've normally used either the pages listed in one of the links or from an edition on GoodReads; it doesn't really matter which is used, any of the listed page lengths is fine for this purpose.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Wind in the Willows needs a second. If you want a really good book with no hassle to get a copy, give this a second.
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I’ll second Dragonwyck and The Wind in the Willows.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #37
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I will third both Dragonwyck and Wind in the Willows, though I know they don't need it. I have a wonderful audio recording of the latter and the former would push me out of my comfort zone.

I also appreciate that both are fully removed from life right now. Being deemed essential and worthy of going to court every week with no sanitization, social distancing or masks has been one of the most stressful periods of my life.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll second Nevermore. Though it's a bit long and the wait at both of my libraries is quite long, it nonetheless looks interesting.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #39
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I'll second Nevermore. Though it's a bit long and the wait at both of my libraries is quite long, it nonetheless looks interesting.
Nevermoor is not short, but do note that the 500+ page number on Goodreads is the large print edition ... oh, and I just looked again and now they're showing 465, which sounds a bit closer to what it should be to match 278 ADE pages.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Nevermoor is not short, but do note that the 500+ page number on Goodreads is the large print edition ... oh, and I just looked again and now they're showing 465, which sounds a bit closer to what it should be to match 278 ADE pages.
Yeah, the page numbers are all over the place. The Kindle edition is showing 513 pages, for whatever that's worth, as is the generic "ebook edition". I'll go with that, I guess. There's also, apparently, a young person's edition that is different from the adult version. (I used to REALLY hate that when I was a young person, I might add. )
Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Yeah, the page numbers are all over the place. The Kindle edition is showing 513 pages, for whatever that's worth, as is the generic "ebook edition". I'll go with that, I guess. There's also, apparently, a young person's edition that is different from the adult version. (I used to REALLY hate that when I was a young person, I might add. )
Kobo has it at 356 pp.

There's a young persons' edition? But isn't this already a YA book?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:55 AM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Kobo has it at 356 pp.

There's a young persons' edition? But isn't this already a YA book?
I suspect the world has a sizeable population of well matured young people who enjoy this sort of thing. So it's not so much that there is a young person's edition as that there is an edition intended to let oldies get less embarrassment from their guilty pleasure.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 AM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Whatever, it sounds interesting. I'll be reading the first one regardless of the voting result.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #44
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Considering the big discrepancies in the page numbers, and the apparent existence of two versions--both for young adults--if Nevermoor is chosen, how would we know if we're reading the same book?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Considering the big discrepancies in the page numbers, and the apparent existence of two versions--both for young adults--if Nevermoor is chosen, how would we know if we're reading the same book?
This is the version we should be reading should it wins. ADE page numbers is 292.

https://www.overdrive.com/media/3148718/nevermoor