Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Large library capacity with calibre collections compatibility

I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists, but I'd love to have an ereader that could handle a large library on the device and also be compatible with the Calibre series information.

I've been using the kindle fire and really like it except that it's not compatible with the Calibre series collection information and the side loaded books don't always appear in the book library and /or load slowly once I have a lot of books on the sd card.

Any suggestions concerning a fire-like device that would do a better job at one or both of these things would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The only devices that have support for displaying series information are the Kobo devices. They display it in the book lists, can sort by it and will search it. Calibre can set the information when updating metadata on the device. Calibre can also do full collection management on them. I am very biased, but, I don't think any dedicated ereader comes close.

But, as you like the Fire, you should consider an Android tablet. With Calibre Companion on it, you should get fairly close to what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have any particular android tablets you'd recommend? Thank you!
Old 08-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I can't help there. I have an older iPad which I don't that much. I haven't looked at Android tablets for a while.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
you don't need another tablet- kindle fire is a ( sort of ) android tablet and you can get calibre companion from the amazon app store.
should be fine unless you have a very old model of fire
then you let calibre companion work as your local librarian. For best results, add a good epub reader also and send epubs to it
the latest fire HD tablets are dirt cheap and fine for reading + they come in 7, 8 10 inch sizes
for other brands, can't advise without knowing what else you want it to do, and what size you want it to be. if you don't mind used/refurbished, then ebay is a good source
for bargains. I mostly shop there and use the pro sellers who give a 12 month warranty on refurbished items
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I use a Samsung Tab S2 8" tablet. Samsung is now up to Tab S5 or higher and this is their premium line of tablets. The S2 is the last 8" tablet in this line and since it is several years old it can be bought new for a discounted price.

This tablet has replaced my Kobo as my eReader of choice. It has excellent resolution and is very light and slender. With Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro I find reading on it very pleasant.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i had the samsung s1 10.5 inch

very good at the time
weaknesses
1.only 16Gb and samsung bloatware took up a huge chunk of that,so I was constantly juggling to prevent running out of space
2. audio quality is not as good as what I have now ( Lenovo, Huawei) but that's a non-issue if you want it as a reader.
3. they go very cheap now- i know because I looked into selling mine and realized I'd only get about £50 for it on ebay
strengths.
Amoled screen with built in blue light filter and with a reader mode that you can turn on for specific apps . Reading mode slows the refresh rate, and takes off a little brightness so get get more battery life and less eye strain. that's the theory anyway
after the s1 , samsung went from 16x10 shape ( ideal for Netflix) to a 4 x 3 shape like ipad
I read in that wide horizontal landscape mode, using a 2 column display so it's like an opened paper book. suits me. otherwise 10 inch is too wide for your eyes to scan an entire line
i think that with the S5 they have switched back to 16x10 but its priced at 3 x what I paid for my similar sized Huawei media pad, with same screen resolution.

if you are happy with 8 inch and with used , then S2 is a good recommendation. you can add an SD card for more storage, but get 32Gb internal if you can, as a lot of stuff insists on using internal memory
Old 08-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I run Calibre Companion on my old Fire 7. Works great. My Mom uses it to choose her next book and then I load said book(s) onto her Paperwhite. Neither of us like to read novels on the Fire - weighs too much among other issues. But, it would work fine for you to read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

newer fires are much lighter, not as light as pw though
fire hd 8 363g
paperwhite 182g
oasis versions 190+,
samsung s2 ( 8 inch) 265g

so a samsung tablet is much lighter than a fire
Old 08-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
sherryk_us
writer/reader

I'd love to use Calibre companion, but I haven't been able to get it to connect to my library. I just tried it again with no success. I have checked and it doesn't seem to be an issue with the firewall on my mac and I have no VPN running. The content server shows up fine in the browser on my computer, too. The connection when I use a usb cord is a little wonky, too so I usually have to export my books from calibre into a folder and copy them from my desktop into the kindle books folder.

I guess I will just start considering android tablets and hope I don't have a similar problem with one of those. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:56 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

that is fixable- see other similar threads in cc subforum, and their solutions... send logs to developer if still stuck

check ( e.g. from last similar thread) that you are using a private, not a public network, and not using guest mode. and see what happens if you try to connect to content server via the silk browser on the device
i suggest you start a new thread for thisin calibre companion sub forum, where the developer will see it
Old 08-10-2019, 02:23 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you're willing to convert to ePub and use an alternate reader app, I believe Moon+ can read Calibre series metadata.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #13
sherryk_us
writer/reader

Thanks for the suggestions

When I get the time I will look into getting the calibre to work again--with the help of the suggested forum--thanks!

Moon reader sound like a great app. Thanks for the idea since converting to epub is pretty easy.

Tags
calibre, kindle fire, large library