Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Not able to select a file in book brwoser on mac OS

Hi,

when i click on a file in the bookbrwoser the file above is selected and opened. If i click on the first file the book branch is openeng/closing.

Happens on the current sigil release. Its always the item above select

Sigil is the only App showing this. Reinstalled 9.9 and everything is fine. Restarting Sigil/Reinstalling SIgil/Restarting Computer does not help.

Anybody else having this behaviour? Or am i the only one and its something with my installatiuon? I have no idea what could cause this.

In Windows evrything is working fin e.

Vrone
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
What exact version of macOS? Are you using a second monitor? Is the resolution different if you have two monitors? Are you by chance enabling Assistive Technologies to magnify the screen image?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hi Kevin, none of these, its Mojave 10.latest (dont know by heart), no magnifying assistance tools, no secondary monitor, no external keyboard/mouse, just a plain macBook.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have tried the last Sigil release on two iMacs, and 2 different MacBooks. I simply can not see anything like what you are seeing.

Try changing the size of your MainWindow, hiding and showing the BookBrowser window via the View menu. Try adjusting the icon/text size in the Sigil Preferences.

Perhaps it is using a layout size saved from an earlier version that no longer works and just needs a size tweak to get it to sync.

Also try changing your display resolution in Mac settings. And test and the try putting them back.

Did anything here help?

KevinH
Old 07-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... Are you using a second monitor? Is the resolution different if you have two monitors? ...
Just to provide a little more data, I have two monitors (MacBook display + external display) each with a different resolution, and I am not seeing this problem.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Vroni
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Did anything here help?

KevinH
Thx Kevin for the hints, in. additin i wil rename the sigil settings folder to make sure there are no weired entries espacially in the sigil ini. I will come back soon.

Vroni
Old 08-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
Vroni
Banned

I just renamed my ini file today and installed 0.9.16 again. The problem with the bookbrowser selecting always the file above the mouse cover is gone or not repducable,

But i am facing anothe issue: double clicking a file brings only up the empty untitled epub, NOT the file double clicked. I need to double click on the file again to load it into Sigil.

In addition the forst toolbar is messed up once i loaded a file. Only the upper third is showing up. Moving the main window slightly makes the toolbars flickering and the first toolbar is no showing up correctly.

vroni
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-08-04 at 15.01.50.png
Views:	142
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	172774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-08-04 at 15.03.21.png
Views:	138
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	172775  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Vroni
Banned

Ps Now i have the issue again, clicking on Section0002 is highlighting Section0001. And its not limited to the bookbrowser, its the same in codeview. Clicking on line 5 puts the cursor in line 4.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What is the resolution of your screen? Your screen shots show some sort of nesting of MainWindows almost as if you docked a widget from one MainWindow into a separate MainWindow?

You must have another instance of Sigil running on you Mac. This should never happen. When is the last time you did a full system restart? Did you tell macOS to reopen the last windows? If so, that is probably not a good idea when your system is having issues. Also you should delete any cached version of Sigil saved in your Caches and start completely fresh with a fresh ini.

Try using the activity monitor to make sure nothing Sigil related is being run at all at startup.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Vroni
Banned

I shut down the mac making sure apps will not reopen. After restarting activity monitor is showing no instance of sgil is running.

double click on an epub file: empty files comes up, epub file not. First toolbar m up, click an selection not synced, difference is always one line.

ini file was deleted before i installed sigil 0.9.16, or better said renamed to sigil-ini.bak
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You don't have any Qt environment variables set system-wide do you? Perhaps something needed for another app? Like QT_OPENGL or something? QT_QPA_PLATFORM ?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
@Kevin: does Qt on MacOS blacklist video cards/drivers like it does on other platforms? I understand Mojave has dropped support for NVIDIA (but I assume a Mojave upgrade would warn about this if relevant). Any chance the video card in the macbook in question just isn't supported by Qt5.12.3? The OP does mention rolling back to Sigil 0.9.9 (which would be Qt5.6) to get things working again.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
Vroni
Banned

Thats correct, every time i' going back to 0.9.9 none of the issues shows up.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The fact that Sigil opens empty when you double click an epub is worrying as that was fixed in an earlier version of Sigil. I simply can not recreate it all. Something may be broken with your setup.

Did you remove the cached version of Sigil that macOS creates. Using application caches and reopening Windows is definitely a bad idea when issues come.

Please delete the cached version of Sigil. Go to ~/Library/Caches/ and inside that folder delete anything related to Sigil. Then start with an empty ini file after a full restart where you tell macOS to NOT reopen application windows.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

My guess is you are mixing Sigil 0.9.9 (which will not open an epub by doubleclicking) and Sigil 0.9.16 which will.

So when you fire up Sigil by doubleclicking an epub and get an empty folder, you are running an older Sigil version.

That is why I want you to clean your App cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Thats correct, every time i' going back to 0.9.9 none of the issues shows up.