Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
caffeinatedandcr
caffeinatedandcr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
Calibre and Kindle Fire 7 (Suddenly Not Working)

I have been using Calibre for YEARS! Previously I had a Nook HD and had no problems transferring or converting books. I have had my Kindle Fire 7 for a few months and basically wiped both the Kindle and Calibre clean after getting frustrated with it not sending books to the micro SD card. I was also still learning what formats I needed to convert to. I eventually learned that I can send books to my SD card, I just have to wait a bit for them to send, and sometimes even restart the Kindle.

A few days ago I hooked my husband's Kindle Touch to Calibre and sent a few books from my library to his Kindle. Now, since then, Calibre is having issues. I am not sure if I deleted something when wiping MY Kindle clean, but now it randomly will work and then other times when I start I get an error message.

Basically, it won't get a list of books on the device and I can't load new books to the device.

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

I am SOOO confused with libraries on Calibre. For example, what is the difference between the 3 options when creating/switching libraries? Please use as layman of terms. Just wondering if I accidentally created a new library or something. When I connect my Kindle via USB, it detects it on my PC and begins to load the books on the device before displaying the above error code. Thanks in advance!!!!
caffeinatedandcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinatedandcr View Post
[. . .]For example, what is the difference between the 3 options when creating/switching libraries? Please use as layman terms [. . .]
None of the three options mean a thing unless there is something in the New Location field - so let's say we have "D:\BookStuff\MyLibrary" in there:
  • If you select Use the previously existing library at the new location, that implies that you know "D:\BookStuff\MyLibrary" is a calibre library - which is a folder containing a metadata.db file, author sub-folders, within them book sub-folders, and within them, book format files (PDF, EPUB, CBZ etc), a cover image and a metadata backup file (metadata.opf).
  • If you select Create an empty library at the new location, then "D:\BookStuff\MyLibrary" must be an empty folder. Calibre will create an empty database in that folder, and if Copy structure from the current library is checked the custom columns, plugboards, saved searches etc from the current library will be replicated in the new library.
  • If you select Move current library to new location, then "D:\BookStuff\MyLibrary" must be an empty folder. Calibre will move the current library to that location

In all three cases Calibre will update the list of 'known libraries' in its configuration data.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-25-2017 at 11:08 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
caffeinatedandcr

I tried restarting both my Kindle and computer several times. I also deleted the files mentioned above just by connecting it to my computer, but after restarting everything; Kindle, computer, Calibre...it still comes back. I have ebooks and audiobooks from Amazon, Overdrive, etc. so I am not really wanting to do a hard reset.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you are left with one of the wireless connection options.
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
caffeinatedandcr

I am wondering if the problem lied with the cable or SD card. I restarted my computer and Kindle after deleting the info and metadata drive. I then used a different USB cable and took out my 16gb SD card and swapped it for an 4gb SD card. Now it seems to all be working again. Anyone idea why this is?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Normally it's easiest to figure out what's going on if you just make one change at a time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Lots of devices tend to have issues with large SD cards.

Tags
calibre, connecting, kindle fire, sideload