Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Is Kobo discontinuing the Ereader?

With no update for months... No sign of new hardware, I wonder if Kobo is giving up the ghost on the production of readers...

Any thoughts?

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
No. They are still going strong.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
With no update for months... No sign of new hardware, I wonder if Kobo is giving up the ghost on the production of readers...

Any thoughts?

Regards

Jack
What are you talking about?

Kobo teased a launch in the next couple weeks. They filed FCC paperwork for 2 new two devices.

Have you been living under a rock?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Any thoughts?

Regards

Jack
I like that this post is directly above the 7.8 inch Kobo threads!

Yeah they're releasing new devices in about a week. It's okay that you didn't know, it was just a twitter post from a Kobo CEO that revealed that info. Official announcements and preorder availability should be coming sometime in the next few days.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I am thinking Jack is pranking you guys
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No. They are still going strong.
So that begs the question, why no firmware update for months?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Is there any reason for one? My device has been working great with the current FW.

Perhaps they've been working on a completely changed FW or are doing big changes to the UI or something.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Actually the constant firmware updates for Kobo readers annoys me to no end (my first ereader was a Sony, and the firmware didn't need constant upgrades because it just worked as it should). I'd say the Kobos are near perfect if it weren't for this annoyance since we can still add other various patches (I always add GeorffR's patch).

I realize others feel differently about it. I just really don't look forward to redoing patches and having to update firmware never knowing if it's going to break something else or introduce new bugs, and having to go through that every few months. I appreciate the silence on the firmware front from Kobo for a change.

If it ain't broke...
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I agree, I did not like it when Kobo was sending out updates every few weeks. They would fix somethings but break others. It was a mess.

It is much, much, much better now. Highly polished, very few bugs and they are slow and methodical about releasing thoroughly tested updates.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that Kobo is waiting for the new devices for a new firmware and that they've been working on Overdrive support. maybe now they'll also work on Win 10AU support as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Actually the constant firmware updates for Kobo readers annoys me to no end
Do you use the sync feature a lot or what is forcing you to update?

If you don't want updates you could probably patch-disable the code that downloads them.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Do you use the sync feature a lot or what is forcing you to update?

If you don't want updates you could probably patch-disable the code that downloads them.
I never sync, I sideload all my books since I prefer to keep them all in one spot in my Calibre Library on my PC after I've removed the DRM. Then I just transfer over books as I want, usually keep about 600 on the reader.

Last week I was testing code (bad code that is) for someone else and when I was finished I ended up with a corrupt database and had to log out and back into my Kobo account and thought what a hassle because it will surely update the firmware, I'll have to either downgrade or redo patches since I never upgraded to the most recent firmware. It turns out that it really doesn't like the original affiliate=KoboIndigo and updates are months behind for it. I was on firmware 3.18 and it did not update. I have a feeling if I was on 3.15, it wouldn't have updated that either, that's the only one I remember it updating on its own without me having to manually install newer firmware or change the affiliate.

Then I had the brilliant idea of putting total nonsense in the line for affiliate hoping it would never update when I'd have to go online, but my reader wouldn't connect to wifi without something reasonable in there. I didn't think that would block connecting, but didn't have time to look into that idea more and just put back KoboIndigo since that still gives me months and months before an update.

How many months has 3.19xxxxxx been out now?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
How many months has 3.19xxxxxx been out now?
Since the very beginning of the year.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Back in May we were teased that Overdrive support was coming 'Soon' to Kobo (we weren't given a timeframe). Perhaps they're still working on that and want to time it for the new device along with some other as of yet unteased changes?

I'm all for Kobo taking their time with firmware, they updated the firmware more times in the first six months or so of me owning the H2O than my previous ereader had done across several generations of device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is there any reason for one? My device has been working great with the current FW.
I would really like to see zero lag when using the two-finger swipe to adjust brightness on my Aura. It used to be instantaneous, but then one or two firmwares back, an odd lag was introduced that makes it very difficult to adjust the front-lighting without overshooting your desired brightness level. I keep hoping for a fix, but thus far my hope has been in vain.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote