Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #4696
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimo962 View Post
hi, new to fanficfare and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when i download stories from forum based websites like spacebattles, sufficientvelocity, etc it works fine but when i try to open the epub its stuck perpetually loading and i can only view the stories if i convert it to another format. anyone have this problem before?
Does it happen only with FFF ePubs or other ones as well?

If it's the latter, it's likely not an FFF problem and you're better off posting in here.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #4697
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
It would also help if you told us some of the story URLs you see this with.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #4698
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2020-10-22
- Add checks for 'from saved column' when not config'ed and update-epub when default format isn't epub.
- Don't disable Update Mode with By Action menus.
- Do 'not an anthology' dialog outside busy_cursor
Old 10-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #4699
asimo962
asimo962 began at the beginning.

Device: none
further checking it seems to be all epubs regardless of source. ill go ahead and check out that link you posted
asimo962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #4700
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question:

Is there a way to retroactively remove duplicate AO3 authorfootnotes from a completed fanfic that had been downloaded while still in-progress?

remove_authorfootnotes_on_update:true and "Update Always" didn't work (though from the description I didn't really expect it to).
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #4701
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Oh. "Overwrite Always" worked. I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #4702
fathertyme
Enthusiast
fathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheese

Device: Samsung S2
Storiesonline bogarted again

Looks like Storiesonline.net changed something again.

I'm suddenly getting a "login required" prompt when my login information is still in the ini file.

happened on
https://storiesonline.net/s/20927
and
https://storiesonline.net/s/22522
fathertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #4703
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

True.

However, I've exhausted my interest and energy for playing arms-race with a site I don't read and isn't even fanfic. At least for the time being.

Anybody else want to take a turn at figuring out their latest shenanigans?
Old 10-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #4704
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Very low-priority, but:

has there ever been any discussion on having a personal.ini config to autocreate an original_epub when overwriting a fanfic? Before overwriting a fic, I create one with Polish ePub in case something goes wrong, and is the main reason I don't use the save_original_format_when_polishing = False tweak. (My usual backups are so heavily compressed that getting anything out of them is...tedious. I should look into fixing that.)

I believe a few months ago someone else asked about a built-in backup when updating fanfics - I can't remember whether original_epub was brought up as a possibility and I'm having trouble finding the posts.

If it comes up again, it might be something to look into.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-22-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #4705
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

If I want to keep a backup, I use 'Add New' instead of overwrite. Then you can merge the calibre records. Don't ask me how, I don't use it enough to remember.

Or just copy to another library first.

I'm not a fan of the 'original_epub' feature because--if I recall correctly--convert, etc will ignore epub and use original_epub as the source. And I convert to azw3 for Kindle for my actual reading. So that's caused problems for me before.

I've wondered about the feasibility of applying versioning to ebooks, but ebook files are all binary formats, except for plain text, which makings diff'ing difficult. A subversion tree containing the Unpack output maybe? I'm not really interested in supporting such thing, I'm just curious if it's possible.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 AM   #4706
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, fair point about the convert/polish ePub thing. I usually get rid of my original_epubs once I'm sure that nothing broke in the new file. It's mostly just an extra line of defense in my backups.

Also, Calibre lets me compare the epub with the original_epub - it's sometimes helpful to see what the author changed.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-23-2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #4707
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

For the verisoning thing - there is this, for other zip-based formats in Mercurial. So it does seem to be theoretically possible for at least ePub.

(Also, TIL that docx and odt are both based on zips.)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-23-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:54 AM   #4708
MrGarrison
MrGarrison began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertyme View Post
Looks like Storiesonline.net changed something again.
The guy who runs the site is now using a unified login system that works for three of the sites he runs. The url is as follows:

https://login.wlpc.com/

All I know is that this sucks because I download from Storiesonline on a daily basis.
MrGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:50 AM   #4709
Nchalada
Nchalada began at the beginning.

Device: Cool Reader on Galaxy S20+
re: SOL, had that happen to me. Changed my login in FFF to just username without email and it worked
Nchalada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 AM   #4710
MrGarrison
MrGarrison began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchalada View Post
re: SOL, had that happen to me. Changed my login in FFF to just username without email and it worked
No such luck on this end. The error log comment reads:

'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
MrGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction