Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #4636
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@DavidTC, I will be looking at your suggestions when I get a chance.
@DavidTC, If I implement your suggestion, it would only partially solve your described problem.

You changed the default action to 'update metadata only' and forgot to change it back.

If update-existing vs download/update-from-URLs vs download/update-from-email all had different default settings, and you changed the update-existing default setting and forgot to change it back, it would still bite you the next time you went to use update-existing.

What do people think about adding a new top-level menu action after 'Update Existing FanFiction Books' that was 'Update Calibre Metadata for Existing FanFiction Books'? With maybe a sub-menu for 'from website' and 'from saved column'?

Those options would invoke the same code, but for metadata-only without changing the default settings.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #4637
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKonan View Post
Yes. v3.24.0

Here's a snippet from debug log.
Kudos for remember MR doesn't like NSFW story URLs, but you've trimmed out everything useful from the debug log, like the bit that tells me what versions of Calibre and FFF etc you have installed.

Please PM me the story URL as I don't see this with the ones I've tried.
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #4638
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
What do people think about adding a new top-level menu action after 'Update Existing FanFiction Books' that was 'Update Calibre Metadata for Existing FanFiction Books'? With maybe a sub-menu for 'from website' and 'from saved column'?
I would find that useful.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 02:35 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #4639
MrKonan
MrKonan began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle App
Quote:
Kudos for remember MR doesn't like NSFW story URLs, but you've trimmed out everything useful from the debug log, like the bit that tells me what versions of Calibre and FFF etc you have installed.

Please PM me the story URL as I don't see this with the ones I've tried.
Sent a copy of the debug log.
MrKonan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #4640
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@MrKonan did PM me a story URL. I replied:

Quote:
I'm able to download that just fine.

Assuming your user/pass are set correctly, I would speculate that storiesonline.com decided you were hitting their site 'too much' and started blocking you.

You can try waiting a few hours/days before trying again and/or setting a slow_down_sleep_time in personal.ini. I'd start with 2 or 4 seconds.
Just in case anyone else sees the same issue.
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #4641
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have access to it, turning off your modem for 30 seconds and then turning it back on may help, depending on your ISP. I once had a music tagging program accidentally DDoS a lyrics site and had to do this to get back in.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #4642
MrKonan
MrKonan began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle App
Update: I've managed to get FFF to update my library. Turns out there's a few things that I needed to change..

1) I have 2FA enabled (via security code emailed) Things worked when I turned it off

2) I also had to reset my story listing display theme back to defaults after that. It was complaining about it being not in classic mode. (It was but fonts were larger)
MrKonan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #4643
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

2FA would definitely do it.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #4644
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Quote:

Those options would invoke the same code, but for metadata-only without changing the default settings.
Generally a useful option to add I think.

Would this be additionally to the six already existing “update modes” in “update existing list”?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 1.png
Views:	101
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	182825

Or would you separate it in
“Update Existing FanFiction Books” with only the four following marked options in the sub-menu

Name:	Bild 2.png
Views:	111
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	182829

and “Update Calibre Metadata for Existing FanFiction Books” with only the two remaining options?

Name:	Bild 3.png
Views:	102
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	182828
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #4645
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Hitting Ctrl+A and updating wouldn't add the new fics...

If I'm adding it, it's because I see it on the website. Or I could just copy the URL from the title page of a story from the same series.

I grab the series URL and put it in "Get Story URLs from web page," which then feeds into the get story URLs dialog. This way I get both the new story and update all the old ones in one step.
Oh, you're not using an email subscription?

Alright. I don't really have an opinion about what options exist where, it's really more what default options are set as. I was suggesting we didn't need them at all, but if people really do have a use for them, okay.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #4646
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I tried to set up the email subscription with auto-forwarding to one of my throwaway emails, but between messages ending up in the spambox in one email and then the IMAP giving me trouble on the other, it was too much of a hassle to get working. I just manually check for updates on my in-progresses once a day (with a large slow_down_sleep_time to prevent accidentally hammering the sites).

I do get an RSS feed for my favourite categories in FFNet and AO3, but AO3 only shows new stories.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #4647
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Update Calibre Metadata for Existing FanFiction Books

Would this be a chance to implement my question from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3384

see also
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3422
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3425
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #4648
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I'm thinking that the 'update modes' would be left as is for existing users who are used to them, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

I was planning new top level action(s) like so:

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	182830

While I'm looking at it, I'm also considering making submenus there to declutter a little. I'm open to opinions since it would make virtually no difference to me--I use hotkeys for everything, as you can see.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #4649
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The Anthology options would be a good idea for a submenu.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #4650
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

You've already linked to my answer and it hasn't changed, but I'll quote it again here for others:
Quote:
I have spent waaay more time (including another hour today) than this corner case can justify trying to fit this into the existing system in way that both works 'as I expect to' and without breaking anything else. I give up.

It's not like there isn't already a way to do it, it's just not as efficient. Use 'Update EPUB always', or don't; it's your choice.
What we're discussing is a change to menu/GUI organization with minimal change to functionality.

What you wanted turned out to be a surprisingly complex problem of changing how the system works.

Tags
fanfiction