Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
yanouch
yanouch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Font size saved by book ?

Hello,

I'm coming from a Pocketook reader and while i'm quite happy with my Kobo Touch (already pre-ordered the Glow ), there's an annoying thing on the Kobo :

When i change the size of the font (or even the font itself) in a book, this setting is not saved individually for each book (like in the PocketBook)... and as different Epubs will absolutely not be displayed the same way even with the same font size, i always have to tweak size font/formatting EVERY TIME i switch between 2 books

Is it a know issue of kobo readers or is there a workaround ?

Thanks.
yanouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I have the same problem. It's a Kobo problem, although I don't think they think of it like that.

Going from vague memory, I think that the font adjustments are stored in a file on the internal drive. If they were to be stored on a per book basis, they'd pretty much have to be stored in the database.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
This is something I have noticed, and whinged about on a few occasions. It is particularly annoying switching between kepubs and sideloaded epubs. My solution has been not to buy any books from kobo and to rely on free ebooks from the excellent feedbooks.com.

It is my firm belief that the settings on the kobo should be able to override any font settings for the individual books (or at least for this to be an option), so once you set things up so they are comfortable for reading, every book is displayed the same way. (I would also like to be able to adjust things like widow/orphan control and how chapter headings are displayed, but that is just me).
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yeah, this is indeed a bit annoying. All my books are kepub, and I find if a book that requires the font size slider to be up high, then features such as the dictionary has huge characters.

I would like to set a font size that was the same regardless of the book.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
It is my firm belief that the settings on the kobo should be able to override any font settings for the individual books (or at least for this to be an option), so once you set things up so they are comfortable for reading, every book is displayed the same way. (I would also like to be able to adjust things like widow/orphan control and how chapter headings are displayed, but that is just me).

It's not quite so simple. The same property, font-size, is used to create all the different sizes of font within the book.. If the Kobo just steamrolled over it, everything would be the same size, Title, Chapter headers, footnotes, what have you.

In an ideal world, a properly formatted book should use 1em as the 'base' font size, (with special text scalled larger or smaller from that.), then it could be up to the reader/settings to determine what is the best actual display size for 1 em on that reader.

(And can somone explain to me why almost every book that does use 1em as a base does it in a bizzare mixed mode where body font size is set to something like 1.2xxxxxx em, then parapgrah text is shrunk to .8xxxxxem (the result of which is 1em text size, which would never have needed any fiddling or code to begin with.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I want settings per book too! I hope they implement it soon.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Well, to tease everyone...

The database on the Touch has the following table:

Code:
CREATE TABLE content_settings (
ContentID TEXT NOT NULL,
ContentType INTEGER NOT NULL,
DateModified TEXT NOT NULL,
ReadingFontFamily TEXT,
ReadingFontSize INTEGER, 
ReadingAlignment TEXT, 
ReadingLineHeight INTEGER, 
ReadingLeftMargin INTEGER, 
ReadingRightMargin INTEGER, 
ReadingPublisherMode INTEGER, 
ActivityFacebookShare BIT default TRUE, 
PRIMARY KEY (ContentID, ContentType))
ContentId is used in several places in the database. It is the key used in the database to point to the actual book. The rest of the column namess match the settings in "Kobo eReader.conf" for the reading setup. I think this table was added in firmware 1.9.17. Unfortunately, it is always empty.

So, Kobo have considered implementing it, but haven't finished it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, to tease everyone...

So, Kobo have considered implementing it, but haven't finished it.
OOooh you tease! That gives me lots of hope!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
In this case, your hoping should pay off .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
In this case, your hoping should pay off .
Yay!
Thanks for letting us know