Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Okay, say you have a new novel and are about to publish it. And say that you put it up on Amazon's Select program for the first 90 days, then opt out of Select and publish it on Kindle standard, plus Smashwords, etc. Do you think there might be some exposure benefit in that, or does it still look like a loss? (Admittedly this overlooks the karmic cost of participating in Amazon's competition-crushing schemes.)
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
Okay, say you have a new novel and are about to publish it. And say that you put it up on Amazon's Select program for the first 90 days, then opt out of Select and publish it on Kindle standard, plus Smashwords, etc. Do you think there might be some exposure benefit in that, or does it still look like a loss? (Admittedly this overlooks the karmic cost of participating in Amazon's competition-crushing schemes.)
I see no real benefit to this program, and I see it as harmful to the ebook industry and indy authors (and by proxy customers) so I hope no one tries it (but I know some will be lured in by the fancy talk in the emails they sent).

So is there harm to you? Well first the first 90 days your book has limited reach and if you already have a fan base that is used to your books on their nook or whatever you alienate them... so yea I think it can hurt your early sales and possible upset your fans. A year or two later all would likely be forgotten/etc I am sure though. So in the long term impact to you might be tiny... just dont see the gain.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
I don't know how one opts out of the program or how it affects the stats of the book, but if it resets your numbers, reviews, or even Amazon-link, then that could be detrimental.

One assumes that Amazon has not implemented the technical details this way, but I really do not know. Three months is a long time to annoy customers and a short time to be discovered "cold" by new ones. I *highly* doubt you'll make a huge splash in the free/lending puddle in those 90 days in terms of getting new readers, but I can imagine you could easily lose a few B&N fanatics.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I jumped at it.

I have virtually no sales through other outlets. I'm already 99% "exclusive" to Amazon for reasons that I do not know. I haven't sold a single book through Smashwords in the last year, while I've sold several thousand through Amazon. B&N: A handful. Kobo, Sony, Diesel: A handful at best. Apple iStore: Well, 1 that I know of.

Amazon and Smashwords are the only outlets that let me sell my book without DRM. Thanks to that, anyone who wants an epub version would actually do better ordering from Amazon and converting to epub with Calibre than ordering through B&N and getting a DRM-crippled version!

I'm not expecting a lot of income from KDP Select. Amazon's example assumes that your book accounts for 1.5% of all "borrows!" And in my case, how many people are going to use up their monthly "borrow" to save $2.99 when they could save three or four times that much on a more expensive, mainstream book?

But, I have virtually nothing to lose by going exclusively with Amazon for three months. If I weren't someone who was willing to roll the dice, I wouldn't be an indie publisher!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually you have a lot to potentially lose since you were once on Smashwords. The exclusive contract with Amazon states "distribution" and not "sale." Smashwords (and others) will continue to distribute your book to anyone that already bought it... for life. So you are potentially at risk of violating your contract already.

This also means you better not give any copies away via your own web site, or any other means. This includes print copies, special editions, and so on. The language can even be extended to refer to other books you write that are simular to the one you have with them.

Check out some of the links in this thread they cover the contract better then I can but the deal is harmful to the authors, and helps Amazon. Its a bad deal for anyone, IMO.

Wether or not Amazon chooses to enforce the full power given to them in their contract is another story and anyones guess until it happens. I personally think its a bad plan to given that power to begin with.
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Wether or not Amazon chooses to enforce the full power given to them in their contract is another story and anyones guess until it happens. I personally think its a bad plan to given that power to begin with.
And it looks like the contract is written so that Amazon can demand all their money back retroactively if they decide you're in breach.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
And it looks like the contract is written so that Amazon can demand all their money back retroactively if they decide you're in breach.
Yep. It is a really bad deal for anyone.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I read it differently. If you've already got stuff listed elsewhere, I wouldn't take them down to list them. But to take a brand new story and put it on there, you're just promising to be exclusive for 90 days. When the 90 days are almost up, you can choose not to renew the Kindle Select and it goes to being a normal book, then you can list your book elsewhere.

They're just trying to hit on being the first one to sell the digital copy of your book. You can keep selling print copies elsewhere. You just have to remember to click don't renew or whatever after the 90 days so you can then list on Smashwords or wherever.

Also, it looks like the 5 days free advertising, is them giving your book away for free for 5 days. During that time, your book is taken off the lending queue, which means you don't get any money during those 5 days.

It looks very interesting, but I don't think I like the exclusivity thing. Especially since the only people that can get it for a loan are the ones that have a registered Kindle. So if you use the computer version, you can't borrow it or nothing
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

But Harper, there's also a non-compete clause that seems to say while the book is in Kindle Select, you won't have anything for sale anywhere that could compete with your KDPS book. That's incredibly broad contract language and could be used to slam an author for books they'd published on B&N or wherever years before.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #25
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nope, no intention of signing up to this, I have great sales on B&N and the other outlets, why should I give that up? ;-)
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #26
theolightfoot
theolightfoot began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle Fire
I plan to do it when I publish my novel in 2012. Right now I just have 2 illustrated children's books and iPad and Nook Color are good for those, whereas Amazon is just getting into the color game. I think it's a great idea for text-only books however and plan to do it. Anything for improved exposure.
theolightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolightfoot View Post
I plan to do it when I publish my novel in 2012. Right now I just have 2 illustrated children's books and iPad and Nook Color are good for those, whereas Amazon is just getting into the color game. I think it's a great idea for text-only books however and plan to do it. Anything for improved exposure.
But that is just it, it is REDUCED exposure, not improved. Its a horrible idea for Indy authors that can only hurt them in the long run.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
I've had a think about this. I have no intention of putting my novels on KDP Select as it would be too much of a headache to withdraw them from the other outlets and I suspect I would see a drop in revenue. But:

It did occur to me that you could write a novella or short story and include it in the program and thus use it as a form of advertising. If people like your work, they might seek out more of your stuff.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
I've had a think about this. I have no intention of putting my novels on KDP Select as it would be too much of a headache to withdraw them from the other outlets and I suspect I would see a drop in revenue. But:

It did occur to me that you could write a novella or short story and include it in the program and thus use it as a form of advertising. If people like your work, they might seek out more of your stuff.
I think this is actually a really good idea, especially in the beginning stages of the program. It is another way to get your name out there.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Just remember the mantra: Amazon is my friend and will do me no harm (I hope).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote