Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
book conversion workflow?

for a technical writing class, I'm doing a project on creating a universal ebook - one that can be read equally well on smart phones, Kindles, epub readers, and tablets. I know there are several good resource books out there, but they all seem to focus on either Kindle or epub readers (or, in one case, iPads). I'm trying to create a (mostly) universal document in part to avoid getting into too much HTML and CSS issues - my target audience is a naive but willing user, so I'm not assuming much HTML or CSS knowledge.

After lurking her and at the Sigil forum, it seems that the best workflow is to create the document in Word (I'm assuming a Windows environment), convert to epub with Calibre, clean up the formatting with Sigil, and then convert to mobi with Calibre.

Is this too complex? Does this make sense?

The type of document I'm assuming is maintenance and repair procedures for a small business.

Remember, please, this is a writing exercise, and not intended for life beyond the needs of this class. (it's also a good excuse for me to learn Calibre and Sigil.)

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre cannot convert books that are in .doc/.docx formats. If you are using Word, then you should use the "Save as Web Page (filtered)" option to get a document that is likely to convert without too many issues. Probably the next best format starting from Word is RTF.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
openoffice - works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre cannot convert books that are in .doc/.docx formats. If you are using Word, then you should use the "Save as Web Page (filtered)" option to get a document that is likely to convert without too many issues. Probably the next best format starting from Word is RTF.
i open .doc files with openoffice and then save them as .odt. works for me.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i open .doc files with openoffice and then save them as .odt. works for me.
If you already have OO.org installed and are creating the document from scratch (which is what the OP is about), you can just write the text directly in OpenOffice.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
If you already have OO.org installed and are creating the document from scratch (which is what the OP is about), you can just write the text directly in OpenOffice.
yup...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And create EPUB directly with Writer2EPUB plugin for OO
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote