Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2023, 05:43 PM   #1
PappyVanWinkle
PappyVanWinkle began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Audible Member Rant

Ok so if anyone has any kind of contacts over at Audible" PLEASE SEND THEM THIS MESSAGE.

I am so sick of STUPID Authors like women who write a book with a Male lead character but insist on having a woman narrate the book!! STOP IT! Or the other way around a Male Author who's lead is a woman then has a man narrating it STOP IT!!

And while I'm on the rant, If you as an author write a book about a lead character that is like in Los Angeles or New York DON'T have a bloody Englishman narrate the book!!! OR Someone with a Southern Accent!! PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS if you want us to keep paying for your Audible Books!!!
PappyVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Mostly it's not the authors, but either Audible or a publisher. It is stupid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:03 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Mostly it's not the authors, but either Audible or a publisher. It is stupid.
I'm not so sure that's always correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can't say I've ever come across it. Or noticed it if I have. Regardless, I can't see how the author's gender would enter into it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I do have to agree that if it is single person in the opposite gender of the narrator, that can bug me and draw me out of the story. I am picky with narration in general. I can't do strong English accents for a full book, just a personal thing because it's too unfamiliar to me and keeps drawing me out of the book. There have been exceptions where it worked.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Alexa can read audiobooks,
you can choose male or female Alexa.
Changed ours to male as I was fed up hearing the default female. Change it in the Alexa app. Probably you can set it by individual device so you can have both the sexes

Not tested with audible specifically, only with general whats the waether and find my phone..?.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:37 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
Ok so if anyone has any kind of contacts over at Audible" PLEASE SEND THEM THIS MESSAGE.

I am so sick of STUPID Authors like women who write a book with a Male lead character but insist on having a woman narrate the book!! STOP IT! Or the other way around a Male Author who's lead is a woman then has a man narrating it STOP IT!!

And while I'm on the rant, If you as an author write a book about a lead character that is like in Los Angeles or New York DON'T have a bloody Englishman narrate the book!!! OR Someone with a Southern Accent!! PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS if you want us to keep paying for your Audible Books!!!

I don't think the sex of the Author matters but the gender of the narrator needs to match the main character. Sometimes a man will change voice for a female small part in the ebook but I like when there are several narrators in a book.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Alexa can read audiobooks,
you can choose male or female Alexa.
Changed ours to male as I was fed up hearing the default female. Change it in the Alexa app. Probably you can set it by individual device so you can have both the sexes

Not tested with audible specifically, only with general whats the waether and find my phone..?.

?? When i use alexa have he voice in the actual audible, not the alexa voice?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
?? When i use alexa have he voice in the actual audible, not the alexa voice?
It’s not Audible books; Alexa can “read” Kindle books you own.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:52 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s not Audible books; Alexa can “read” Kindle books you own.
i think that when alexa reads an audible book, which does work, you get a playback of the original file, like playing back a music file.
so changing the alexa voice will only impact on reading non-audible audiobooks. that also works and is quite convincing though pretty sure its only for where you bought the kindle book from amazon.

i did test it all, but my wife is the audiobook user and she was not interested - she would rather just use an app on her phone.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i think that when alexa reads an audible book, which does work, you get a playback of the original file, like playing back a music file.
so changing the alexa voice will only impact on reading non-audible audiobooks. that also works and is quite convincing though pretty sure its only for where you bought the kindle book from amazon.
There’s a communication problem here. Would you also say that Alexa is singing Nessun Dorma when you play the aria through Amazon Music, or is that Pavarotti? In order to differentiate between playing Audible books via Alexa or having the Alexa voice speak the words of a Kindle book, it would be helpful to describe only the latter as Alexa reading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

fair point.

PS nessun dorma may be a stretch, but alexa does actually SING happy birthday