Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I love this place

I found MR in, I think, late July. Since then, I've nervously bought a PRS-505 reassuring myself with the salesman's promise that I can bring it back, no questions asked, within 30 days if I hate using it; read it obsessively all holiday long; learned to use calibre so I can easily read more on it; ordered a custom skin and bought the reading light; and am now plotting how I can justify buying a second device so I have a backup one and can try a different kind as well. I can't thank all the people here enough for the community and help and suggestions.

I also want to tell you that my thinking has changed about pirating books. I admit to not having thought about the issue very much, and if you'd asked me in July, I'd probably have shrugged my shoulders. I seem to like reading even more on my PRS-505 than I did on paper, though (and I've been an obsessive reader my whole life) and am now fiercely committed to supporting the writers and publishers who make this possible.

I'm a bit put out by DRM issues - FW for instance is selling a book that I would love, only in mobi format (I'm computer illiterate, hubby is working on figuring it out) and I'm not buying an ebook that I can only read on the laptop; for that, I didn't need to buy the Sony. Is there any way to give feedback on this to FW, and if so, would they care? While I understand why explicit instructions for breaking DRM aren't allowed here, I do now see a very clear distinction between piracy, and using tools to allow you to read what you have bought the right to read, in the manner that you choose. I also wonder whether, as someone's signature says, buying something with DRM that you then strip still incentivizes the wrong behaviour in publishers.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but this seemed like the best sub-forum to voice my appreciation!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
FW for instance is selling a book that I would love, only in mobi format (I'm computer illiterate, hubby is working on figuring it out) and I'm not buying an ebook that I can only read on the laptop; for that, I didn't need to buy the Sony. Is there any way to give feedback on this to FW, and if so, would they care?
I'm in the same boat, RWJ, seeing a book I really want that's not available in a "shiftable" format.

I've heard a few rumors that Mobi (Amazon) has been signing exclusivity contracts with some publishers on some books, to keep them solely in Mobi format for a period. I'm guessing that the only reason that Pubs are going for it is that Amazon is making it a condition of using their pet format.

In any case, I'm hoping that the book will be available in other formats. Of course in my case it's a Tor book, so it could just be that they're complete num-nums about e-books. Then I'll be trying to figure out how to break the Mobi DRM myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi RWJ and welcome to the Forum. I feel the way you do about supporting authors and writers.

I got a 505 back in January and like it a lot. And, like you, I read more on it than I did regular pBooks before I got the Sony.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote