Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
PeeBus
PeeBus began at the beginning.

Device: EBookwise 1150
500,000 Free Books! I Must be Thick Today!

The following url:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/google-ebooks/

promises 500,000 free public domain ebooks for the Sony EBook Reader. I've followed the instructions: D/Led the software, and set up an account but I can't for the life of me find this supposed treasure trove!

Do I find them in the Sony software or via Google directly? It sure is not clear to me. I must be thick today!
PeeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Open the sony ebookstore application and on the right hand column you will see "unearth a classic" ad (looks like an ad anyway) and it will take you to the google book section.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
If you are not an American, it won't work. At least, it did not work the last time I checked.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
PeeBus

Maybe I'm not thick since "unearth a classic" is nowhere to be found on my application. Can anyone outside of the USA see this?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
PeeBus

Strangely, even though the middle box on the right hand side of Sony application is blank, when I clicked on it I was transported to the Google book search page! Thanks for the clue!
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Did you click Sony Store in the software?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBus View Post
Strangely, even though the middle box on the right hand side of Sony application is blank, when I clicked on it I was transported to the Google book search page! Thanks for the clue!
I guess it is kind of an easter egg for non US readers
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I am still amazed that this fact is never mentioned whenever this service is brought up. These are all public domain books and they are blocked and I have yet to find any mention of this policy on Google or Sony. When I first did a search about this issue, the first thing that appeared was my initial post! Crazy.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They are all public domain books in the USA.

There are many books that are in the public domain in the USA that are not in the public domain in other countries (and vice-versa).

I suspect this is why the option is hidden for non-US installations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
I am still amazed that this fact is never mentioned whenever this service is brought up. These are all public domain books and they are blocked and I have yet to find any mention of this policy on Google or Sony. When I first did a search about this issue, the first thing that appeared was my initial post! Crazy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #10
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Although in the UK I have the US version of the sony software installed so I can download the free books. Created an account with an email address that has my location listed as US (mainly because it was the default and I forgot to change it at the time and now find it convenient!) and it all works.

Hadn't actually thought about it much as so far I have found any PD book I've wanted here!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBus;
Maybe I'm not thick since "unearth a classic" is nowhere to be found on my application. Can anyone outside of the USA see this?
Yes I see it, needed to scroll the window fully to the right or it is hidden.

Clicking on it requires you to log in or create an account, then takes you to Google book search. & finally download now free.

Look for your PD classics first here on Mobileread, they will likely be better formated as they are produced by MR members.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
The 'unearth a classic' logo appears for me and I am able to access the free books offered from the UK. I suspect, however, that we have a more limited selection due to geographic restrictions and copyright issues.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote