Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
brettonwoods
brettonwoods began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD "whining noise" in silent environment

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a Kobo Clara HD, running it with the latest firmware 4.25.15875.

As mentioned in this post from early 2019 [1], I can confirm that there is an audible "whining noise" when in a silent environment.

After noticing this I had the device replaced once but it did not help.

Specifically, I can hear the noise when there is load (like a new page is rendered).

When using Koreader or Plato, however, the noise is constant. (I assume because these alternative readers have a higher base load on the processor?)

Any ideas how to fix this?

Maybe wrap the device with some "noise cancelling" material/casing? I guess that is not really feasible, is it?

Any other experiences, confirmations, observations, suggestions regarding this issue?

Thank you very much,

Bretton

--
[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316822
brettonwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettonwoods View Post
When using Koreader or Plato, however, the noise is constant. (I assume because these alternative readers have a higher base load on the processor?)
They should all have essentially a null load when idle. This is doubly true for Plato & KOReader.

Which makes that observation... weirder. Unless you happen to have something like Wi-Fi enabled, which may already be a factor in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, like I've said before, I have to put the device (Forma) right next to my ear to spot something (and, even then, I can only pick up the tiny high-pitched screeches in one ear. And those only in the bottom third of the device), which makes this a non-issue.
And Wi-Fi definitely makes it worse. As does being plugged to a power source. In which case loads actually makes it *better*.
And I certainly can't spot any meaningful difference between Nickel/Plato/KO, although we both do put the screen in a different framebuffer mode, so, apples & oranges, who knows.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2020 at 10:21 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
brettonwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
They should all have essentially a null load when idle. This is doubly true for Plato & KOReader.
Is there a way I can debug/log the load for each reader (Nickel,KoReader,Plato)? Would be interesting to verify this.

In Plato there is a "system information" section where I can see the load which is not "null". In Koreader there is a "system statistics" plugin, which has a similar result. How about Nickel?

Quote:
Which makes that observation... weirder. Unless you happen to have something like Wi-Fi enabled, which may already be a factor in the first place.
I have Wi-Fi disabled at all times.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, like I've said before, I have to put the device (Forma) right next to my ear to spot something (and, even then, I can only pick up the tiny high-pitched screeches in one ear. And those only in the bottom third of the device), which makes this a non-issue.
The "Forma" is a different device, right?

As for my device, the "Clara HD", I can definitely hear the "whining noise" in reading distance (ca. 20-40cm) in a silent environment (e.g. in the bathtub ;-) ).
Old 11-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettonwoods View Post
As for my device, the "Clara HD", I can definitely hear the "whining noise" in reading distance (ca. 20-40cm) in a silent environment (e.g. in the bathtub ;-) ).
I don't think I would recommend the Clara HD for use in the bathtub. It has no water protection.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both the actual *nix load average and the CPU time over process lifetime average done by KOReader mean nothing really interesting.

You'll notice I said "when idle". Of course the average is not null, work has to be done sometime to display stuff .

Get a shell, look at htop, and you'll see that pretty much zilch happens when idle, no matter the software being used. Same with perf counters.

The Forma may be a different device, but it's built on a very similar board than the Clara.

The thing they do have in common is that the screen is driven by a TFT. That those can whine in certain conditions is not new. I've seen it happen on laptops, and on desktop monitors as well, especially when displaying certain patterns.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
brettonwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't think I would recommend the Clara HD for use in the bathtub. It has no water protection.
Ehmm... sorry, an empty bathtub of course. Yes, I'm reading in an empty bathtub. ;-)
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
brettonwoods

Quote:
Get a shell, look at htop, and you'll see that pretty much zilch happens when idle, no matter the software being used. Same with perf counters.
I haven't used a shell yet with Clara HD. How do I get it?

As I understand there is a ssh server integrated with KoReader.

How about Nickel and Plato?

Cheers
Old 11-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Here goes.

I was going to say the only not utterly outlandish conditions I could see this actually being heard while reading (as opposed to wearing the device like a pair of headphones) would be a tiny to small room with a potential for echo. And extremely good hearing, or someone suffering from tinnitus. I was thinking of reading on the toilet, but, sure, an empty bathtub could certainly fit the bill.