Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Windows 10 won't let me upgrade calibre

I know this isn't a calibre problem, but I can't get any help from the Windows 10 forum. Can anyone help here?

I'm almost certain that there was a Windows 10 upgrade recently, but I don't know enough about Windows to be sure, or even to be able to use the Windows 10 forum.

I downloaded the latest calibre upgrade a couple of days ago - I've been using calibre for years without problem. When I tried to run it a big blue screen appears on the Windows screen saying
'Windows Defender Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.'

It doesn't give me any option to run the upgrade. If I had to choose I'd rather have calibre than Windows Defender. Can anyone tell me how to turn Windows Defender off? Or how to use the Windows 10 forum to try to get some sense from them?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hi Alex,

I don't know if these links will be useful for you:
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
McHunter
Connoisseur
McHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enough

Device: PB TL2 /PB TL3 (M) STOLEN/ PB SURFpad 3 (7.85") / thl T11
Hmmm....

There should be possible to click "More Information" or something similar in the Popup, then you can click "Start Anyway" (or something similar) and it will launch...
McHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHunter View Post
Hmmm....

There should be possible to click "More Information" or something similar in the Popup, then you can click "Start Anyway" (or something similar) and it will launch...
Thanks. I'd got myself into a panic and didn't see that.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks. I'd got myself into a panic and didn't see that.
Whew!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
sun_reads
sun_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei S8-701w
If you are doing this on an enterprise computer, at least when using portable, you may not have a "Start Anyway" button.

If you have administrator privileges on your company PC, you can still run the installer using an administrator command prompt.
sun_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I also get that "block", but with an option to continue anyway. but maybe it takes a couple of extra clicks on " advanced" or " more info" to bring up that option. [ I am the administrator for my own PC - maybe that makes a difference ]
I had hoped that after overriding it once I would not see another block of the same program, but last Friday's calibre update triggered the same interrupt.

Surprised also that my malwarebytes pro does not auto disable this defender thing, because it does- or used to - replace the regular defender- as -AV protection and take over that job. i think this annoyance only began with windows 1803.
there's not much else I install regularly so I have not seen it on other programs. But for the record , that same defender smart screen completely failed to detect and block the sneaky hidden install of avast within the latest CCleaner. Malwarebytes missed that also. That installs without any prompt for permissions [ see the many complaints in that programs' own forum]. You realise you've got it only after a new Avast desktop icon appears, after it has fully installed.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I had hoped that after overriding it once I would not see another block of the same program, but last Friday's calibre update triggered the same interrupt.
The new calibre update is a new program and does not have the built up reputation to allow the install without SmartScreen getting involved (if SmartScreen is enabled). If you wait a couple of days, the SmartScreen popup will go away.

To disable SmartScreen, open Settings, click on Update and Security, click on Windows Security, click on Open Windows Defender Security Center, click on App and Browser control. You will see the SmartScreen settings there. Set the Check apps and files radio button to Off to disable SmartScreen trying to block installs or Warn if you want to see the popup which should have the More Info button to get to the second popup with the Run Anyway button to allow the install.

As usual, if you are using a corporate machine, them nasty IT folks are likely to have blocked your access.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is to turn off SmartsScreen. It's not smart enough and it's more hassle then it's worth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Surprised also that my malwarebytes pro does not auto disable this defender thing, because it does- or used to - replace the regular defender- as -AV protection and take over that job. i think this annoyance only began with windows 1803.
I've been running MWB alongside Defender since May 2010, Pro since June 2013. To my knowledge MWB has never claimed it will disable Defender, let alone do it. Indeed one of MWB's 'selling points' is that it can run alongside other AV products without interference either way. Why would I want to run both? Simple, on at least two occasions Defender has detected real threats that MWB did not detect.

I don't recall seeing this particular problem. I have the Smartscreen setting for [Regular] Apps and Files set to Warn. The Smartscreen settings were changed recently, can't recall exactly when.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I've been running MWB alongside Defender since May 2010, Pro since June 2013. To my knowledge MWB has never claimed it will disable Defender, let alone do it. Indeed one of MWB's 'selling points' is that it can run alongside other AV products without interference either way. n.

BR
ok i may be confusing it with how other AV behave. I use Mbytes pro & Panda free, one of them disables defender - probably panda.
i use panda free as I can put it on all PCs - as I only have 2 lifetime MB pro licences and lifetime licenses are no longer sold. panda is pretty upgrade-nag free once you untick one option. I see it just renamed itself to Panda Dome, with a new icon. only issue I have is that windows turns off its firewall & says use the panda one, but panda free does not have a firewall!
i tried both of Avast & AVG free - could not live with the constant upgrade nags
Old 07-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #12
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that same defender smart screen completely failed to detect and block the sneaky hidden install of avast within the latest CCleaner.
Avast is a legitimate software and should not be blocked.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #13
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution is to turn off SmartsScreen.
Please don't give harmful advice.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:50 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
1. legitimate software should not try to sneak-install itself 2.smart protection should spot this..

a "defender" worthy of the name should say : the program you are installing ( CCleaner) is attempting to sneak -install another program ( avast) without asking for your permission...

it is actually harmful to install a 2nd Av - Avast- when you already have one running ( panda) as they can interfere with each other

so whatever corporate idiot thought it was a good idea not only to sneak install avast but to to that even though the target PC has working av already should be fired.

i am not the only person who will never trust piriform again. CCleaner are apologising - sort of - but reputational damage is done

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=208612.90

some features of avast also break SSL security certificate authentication, bu that's a separate off-topic debate
Old 07-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
When I already have an antivirus program installed, I really do not need a program to install another antivirus program without letting me have a choice in the install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote