Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #91
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Still, I like the sync feature of the Paperwhite so I can read on my phone when I'm away from home and keep synced with my Paperwhite.
Doesn't the Nook Glowlight 3 sync to the Nook app on your phone? (Now that I think about it, this always seemed kind of "iffy" – but I just tested the Nook app on my Fire and the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and they synced.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-24-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Replaced "Paperwhite" with "Nook"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #92
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
I purchased a GL3 a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale. I'm pretty happy with it after side-loading some apps.

The software would be a deal breaker for me if I wasn't able to side-load a different reading app. I was able to get ALreader installed and it works really well. It has an eink mode and tons of options on top of that. The dictionary support is also great in it. I installed ColorDict and the integration with ALreader is seamless.
Too bad there aren't instructions on how to install ALreader anywhere that I can see. They have some You Tube videos showing how the screen looks after installation, but nowhere is there a discussion on how to install it.

Which probably means if you can't figure it out, you shouldn't try it. Too bad, because mine pretty well stays on the shelf because of the way it renders the pages of the book.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #93
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
You need to use ADB to install it which isn't 100% user friendly. I think you only need to root if you want to re-map the buttons to work with ALreader.

I got all the info I needed from https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...ght-3-t3698608. It's not very straightforward and it took me awhile to piece all the info I needed together to get the reader to work how I wanted.

The apps I installed are RelaunchX, Solid Explorer, ALreader, and ColorDict.

If you want to try it without rooting you need some kind of back button. I recommend using Button Savior (non root). With root I remapped one of the page turn buttons to be a back button.

Last edited by Ryzir; 05-24-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #94
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
...mine pretty well stays on the shelf because of the way it renders the pages of the book.

Jim
Funny. I like the actual reading experience on the Nook. It's everything else (home page, searching, library) that is a pain to me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #95
Veidos
Veidos began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Hi,
I tried to skip registration forl gl 3 following the earlier explanations, but it didn't work.
Can you pls explain it again with more details?
Thanks!
Veidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #96
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
I just registered my GL3 after a long delay (got it for Christmas and promptly set it aside..) and I can't say I am impressed. The fonts are awful, the screen seems fuzzy and I can't say I like the orange light but I will have to try it again to be fair. The screen savers are horrible looking, sheesh they could do better than that. I think the page buttons are a bit of a meh for me, I like touching the screen to change the page so I don't really need them.

Overall it is nice looking but I don't think much thought was put into it, although it surprises me that B&N responded to the partition problem rather quickly. (I don't really understand it all, not a techie).
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #97
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Hmm, I actually think the screen is a little crisper than my Aura One or Oasis 2. I seldom use the light -- orange or blue. I like the quotes screensaver, but I miss being able to add my own. (Although I prefer Kobo's book cover screensaver). I like the buttons. If I could combine the Nook hardware with the Kobo software, it would probably be my one reader to rule them all!

I think the thought they put into it was "let's update our most popular previous ereader." I may be a tad biased there -- I loved the Simple Touch and never had Glowlight 1 or 2.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote