Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
doerte
doerte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel PW2, and other Kindel
PW2 no fastboot

Hello,
I bought a used Kindel PW2, which does not start properly and crashes frequently. I suspect that there is some software defect and after research i am trying to fix it by installing the firmware (https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/). So I made a serial connection to my Kindel and tried to get into fastboot mode with the Uboot command "bist fastboot". According to the output, the device changes to fastboot mode, but my Laptop(Linux) does not recognize it as a fastboot device. The normal usb connection to the device while booted works and i can copy files, for this reason i rule out the usb port as a suspect. If anyone has an idea how I can fix the problem, I would be very grateful.

Ps. The previous owner said something about a failed jailbreak
doerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Are you using the Kindle specific fastboot client on your PC?

Before trying to replace the system files (specially since you have little Kindle experience) test to be sure the situation is exactly as rumored.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
doerte
doerte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel PW2, and other Kindel
Hi,

i am using the fastboot console client from https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle. How i should test for the issue?
doerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What our "jail break" does is enable a person to install our packages (in addition to Amazon's).
Get the most recent test package version:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Hint: Title (in "Touch" section) contains "dummy test..." in the package name.

You don't mention what firmware version your Kindle is running so I can't tell you if you have to use our MrPI to install it or if you can use UYK.
So try both.

Also capture the current system logs to a document, and read them to determine why the restarts are happening.
(Search bar command: ;dm The semi-colon is part of the command).
If the log files don't make any sense to you, use the "go advanced" button on this reply text box and use the "manage attachments" section to attach the log documents.

Note:
Your description shows that you are having trouble running the "main" system (touch devices are dual-boot).
And Fastboot for Kindle can not transfer the "main" system image file, it is too big.
So I don't know where you got the idea that you could install the "main" system image file with fastboot.

When/If the above does not show you what needs fixing, boot the alternate ("diags") system and check how it runs.
(If you find the "Erase (all)" diags option DO NOT TRY IT - It does work, it does what it says, you may well be screwed after trying it.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2018 at 03:42 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote