Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Daria9000
Daria9000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Mobi covers and the Kindle Fire

I've used Calibre to successfully convert various free formats to .mobi and or convert mobi-to-mobi and then transferred the files via USB to the Fire but no matter what I try, I cannot get the covers to transfer.

For ex., I'll go into Calibre, download the metadata incl. a cover, send it to the main memory in the device - but the cover that shows up is either the non-cover (feedbooks' white paper cover) or a big blue Kindle icon. In Calibre, I can see the cover. In Kindle for the PC, I may get a "blue book".

I've also tried copying the .mobi, .jpg, and .opf files to the Kindle books directory. Doesn't help.

Any ideas?
Daria9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you done a Mobi-to-Mobi AFTER getting the cover?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Fire can be flaky about covers. In particular, if you initially send it an ebook without a cover it will often keep the "non-cover" even if you later resend it with a correct cover. If you leave it long enough the correct cover will eventually get recognized.

To check if you have a "good" cover in the ebook, open it (the first time it should open on the cover, but later it will open at the last read page), tap the TOC icon and select Cover. If Cover isn't one of the option, the ebook does not have a MOBI cover. As PeterT said, the safest approach is to get the cover you like in Calibre and then do a MOBI to MOBI conversion.

Note that the cover is in the MOBI ebook, there is nothing else to send. The Fire makes a local copy of the cover for its database. It is that image that can be hard to get the Fire to replace.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-21-2012 at 10:59 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Fire can be flaky about covers. ...
To check if you have a "good" cover in the ebook, open it ...
Given that the Fire can be a bit flaky about updating covers when you update a book, I would suggest that you do the test open on a PC (Mac or Win) using Kindle Previewer 2 (available free from Amazon) to test whether there is a proper cover. Then move the book to the Fire only after it passes testing. That way you don't "contaminate" the Fire with a version with a misplaced or missing cover.

I configure my Win system to use Previewer as my default Open application and configure calibre to not use its internal viewer for MOBI formats. That way clicking the "MOBI" entry in the Formats section of the Book Details side panel opens the book in Previewer for testing.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Daria9000
Daria9000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Partial Success.
1. Case 1
I did a mobi-to-mobi on files that I got covers for. (These were books that I had done an initial conversion from .txt to .mobi)
I copied those files to my Kindle-For-PC.
Covers popped up!!!!

2. Case 2
On the Kindle Fire, I did a "remove from device" for the above books. And checked the Books directory to make sure they were gone. They weren't. So I deleted them.
Then I copied the files from the Kindle-For-PC directory to the Kindle Fire Books directory.
Still no covers.
Then I opened each book and found the cover. After doing this, the books appeared, with covers, on the Fire's Carousel. BUT, they still had no covers in the "Bookcase".
I turned off the Fire, turned it on. Same situation.
But, later, after a complete shutdown, the covers appeared both on the Carousel and in the Bookcase.

Complete success for Cases 1 and 2 (or 1.a. and 1.b. if you will).

3. Case 3
A bunch of books downloaded from Feedbooks in EPUB format. Converted them to MOBI. Got the covers. Then did an individual convert from mobi to mobi (couldn't see a way to do a bulk convert. Calibre seemed to assume that I wanted to convert again from EPUB to mobi).

Copied the files to the Kindle for PC directory. No covers appear.
Same situation with the Kindle Fire.
NOTE: When I look inside the book, I can see the cover. But nothing I do makes it appear in the Kindle. All I see is the Feedbooks cover (which is the Title page of each book).

Any ideas?
Daria9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure why case 3 is not working. However why not get the covers BEFORE doing the epub->Mobi conversion?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In Bulk (or previously converted), Calibre will default to using the last used setting for that book.
There is a tick box to clear those previously used (greyed out when none of the books have a saved setting)
If no setting is in force, Preferences takes over.

As you guessed, Same format is not a normal choice.
follow itimis advise. Have all your ducks in a row before doing your first conversion pass.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover, kindle fire