Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #46
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I like the hidden votes like we had last month.

I will be quite happy alternating, provided that if the hidden votes are the odd months in 2012, they will be the even months in 2013.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I like the hidden votes like we had last month.

I will be quite happy alternating, provided that if the hidden votes are the odd months in 2012, they will be the even months in 2013.
So far the voting is pretty well split between hidden vote and alternating from month to month.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post1843388
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #48
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If I may change the subject to the topic of this thread...

I remember that last year I nominated The Brothers Karamazov for December, and found that I was way too busy preparing for Christmas to read it. (It didn't get many votes anyway.)

I therefore suggest to the voters that they keep in mind that December is a busy month, and maybe a shorter work would be in order.

For that reason, and because it is Christmastime, after all, I voted for A Christmas Carol.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #49
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
All ten nominations this month are likeable to me. Three I have already read and so hope they don't win, but they are all fine reads. Of the other seven, I'd be happy with any winning.

To decide which to vote for was hard. There were a few choices that seemed particularly interesting. I too took into consideration length.

I voted for To The Lighthouse. It's short (180 pages) and I found it most appealing.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm with Jon on this. I like the hidden vote.
I think Hell just froze over....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm going to take the suggestions we've had and start a poll. I'll be back.
Can we have a vote first on whether the poll should be open or closed?

I don't think it matters much in that poll. I've made it an open poll.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-22-2011 at 08:05 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #52
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Of the 10, I've read 2 and am interested in 5 (which, as I said in the nomination thread, surprises me). So technically, this should be a good month for me, but there are 2 in particular that I would really like to see win over the others. I voted for my first choice out of those 2.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-22-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: commas
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #53
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It was tough to make a selection. I only rejected one book out of hand, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I have read it so many times in the past and seen so many film versions (at least one a year ) that to me it sort of negates the whole purpose of a book club. Book length was not a consideration for me (Bah Humbug! to Christmas )
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm (reluctantly) eliminating The Iliad, even though that's my favorite among the nominees. I suspect it won't win, so I'd rather go with a serious contender. That gone, I've decided that I'm in the mood for 20th century (hey, I've got to develop some criteria), so there goes Scarlet Letter.. That leaves me with Heart of Darkness or To the Lighthouse.. Since I'm essentially indifferent between the two, if I get the sense of a groundswell for either title (surfer's vote duly noted), that one will be my choice.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just keep in mind folks that a really long novel may not be read in time for the discussion as it;s almost thanksgiving and Christmas shopping time.

I have placed my vote for one I think it a good one and I also think it's one most people will also enjoy should it win.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just keep in mind folks that a really long novel may not be read in time for the discussion as it;s almost thanksgiving and Christmas shopping time.

I have placed my vote for one I think it a good one and I also think it's one most people will also enjoy should it win.

In the other thread, you tell people to vote based on what they want to read, and here you tell them to vote based on length?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

In the other thread, you tell people to vote based on what they want to read, and here you tell them to vote based on length?
I was just thinking that given the busyness of Thanksgiving, Chanukah and Christmas, that a rather long book might not be able to be read in time. But that is up to each individual person.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #58
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
This closed poll saddens me and as a consequence, I cast my vote with a darkened heart.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #59
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
wrong post

Last edited by beppe; 11-23-2011 at 02:37 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Almost all the the books are, let's say, attractive, but then, for one reason or the other, they dropped out.
With a hidden vote, you are not supposed to say why you didn't vote for what. Nor are you to say what you did vote for. That breaks the reason for having a hidden vote.

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote