Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
All Kindles (including Fire) coming to U.S. stores soon!

From Amazon's press release:

Quote:
Amazon.com today announced that over 16,000 stores across the U.S. will be selling the new Kindle family starting November 15. Customers will be able to visit any Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Staples, Sam's Club, RadioShack, Office Depot, as well as several other retailers, to experience and purchase the $79 Kindle, the $99 Kindle Touch, the $149 Kindle 3G and the $199 Kindle Fire. The all-new $79 Kindle has been available in stores around the world since shortly after it was introduced.
Although I doubt that stores will have the devices connected to the internet, I can't wait to get my hands on a Fire and try it out! I think I want a tablet with a larger screen, but you never know...
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I can't wait to try out the Fire and Touch.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I can't wait to try out the Fire and Touch.
I'm wanting to give the Fire a few pokes and prods, too. See how responsive it is and all.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool All Kindles (including Fire) coming to U.S. stores soon!

beware of the demo software. you can't tell much of anything about actual operations when that demo is running. someone said in a post on another thread that the demo can be disabled with the 'back' key/button. i have no idea if the fire even has a 'back' key/button and i've not had a chance to try it on the kindle in the staples where i tried a test drive to see if it actually works to exit the demo
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have played with the new Kindle non-touch and hitting the back button does exit the demo mode.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I have played with the new Kindle non-touch and hitting the back button does exit the demo mode.
good to hear
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Interesting. My Kindle Touch which I ordered a few hours after it was announced is scheduled for delivery on November 23 (I have 2 day shipping).

So it appears that Amazon is supplying retail stores before fulfilling its own online orders
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
dunno about that, mine's due the 16th, and I also ordered within hours.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
In Amazon's original announcement regarding the new Kindles on September 28th, this press release stated that the Kindle Touch would begin shipping on November 21 and the Kindle Fire on November 15. As far as I know, those start-shipping dates haven't changed. I don't think that those models will be in stores before Amazon starts shipping them, but I may be wrong.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I wanna touch the Touch
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
From Amazon's press release:

Amazon.com today announced that over 16,000 stores across the U.S. will be selling the new Kindle family starting November 15. Customers will be able to visit any Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Staples, Sam's Club, RadioShack, Office Depot, as well as several other retailers, to experience and purchase the $79 Kindle, the $99 Kindle Touch, the $149 Kindle 3G and the $199 Kindle Fire. The all-new $79 Kindle has been available in stores around the world since shortly after it was introduced.
This press release is just a wee bit deceiving, especially the part stating "to experience and purchase ...the $99 Kindle Touch ...".

I checked the product pages on Amazon and indeed the Fire is scheduled for release on November 15, but the Kindle Touch not until November 21.

Last edited by JoHunt; 11-09-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never considered buying a Kindle at Best Buy before, but the ability to walk out of the store with a Kindle Fire in hand is mighty appealing. Is there any difference between buying at Amazon or Best Buy as far as Amazon is concerned? I'd much rather deal with Amazon directly than Best Buy if a problem crops up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Yeah, the article seems to imply that you will be able to walk into a store and buy the Kindle Touch on Nov 15. I would be VERY surprised if that were the case since Amazon won't even ship them until Nov. 21.
I assume the Touch won't arrive in stores until the 21st either.....or maybe they will have the demo model on the 15th but none to sell until the 21st.

On a side note, didn't they ship pre-orders of the Kindle2 and Kindle3 a week or so early as a "thank you" to customers? Maybe the Touch is coming a little early too and they let the cat out of the bag.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
tbruin3235
tbruin3235 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
One thing to keep in mind is you have to pay sales tax if you buy from a local store, and probably don't if you order from Amazon.
tbruin3235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
JoHunt
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
On a side note, didn't they ship pre-orders of the Kindle2 and Kindle3 a week or so early as a "thank you" to customers? Maybe the Touch is coming a little early too and they let the cat out of the bag.
There's lots of speculation on the net that this may be the case. My "thank you" will be well received

On the other hand, the shipping date for the lighted cover I ordered together with the Kindle has changed from November 29 to "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item". I guess there's some sort of problem with the covers.