Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #331
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Funny...I only use Edge to download Chrome.
Chrome, ugh

I like Google as a company and will sometimes use Chrome on my phone, but I've never warmed up to the Chrome desktop browser.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #332
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, did I miss Nate's review?

That's what I've been wondering too!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #333
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Funny...I only use Edge to download Chrome.
I use IE to download Brave Browser.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #334
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I loved the Kobo Glo, but the need for multiple taps on the screen for one page turn was a dealbreaker and why I bought the Paperwhite in the end.
Same experience I had with my Kobo Glo before I sold it (and it's also an issue with my Touch). The Mini is actually a little more sensitive.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #335
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That's what I've been wondering too!
Take a look at his web site, he responded to a question about when his review of the Forma would be out in the comments of one of his articles https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...er-in-the-usa/
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #336
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Take a look at his web site, he responded to a question about when his review of the Forma would be out in the comments of one of his articles https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...er-in-the-usa/

Nate runs https://the-digital-reader.com/ not the blog you linked. Pretty sure they’re entirely different entities
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #337
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Chrome, ugh

I like Google as a company and will sometimes use Chrome on my phone, but I've never warmed up to the Chrome desktop browser.
I used Chrome all the time a few years back — but it kept getting slower and slower. Then they went to a clunkier style display and I moved away from it. And I'm kind of tired of Google taking the lion's share everything, now over 60% of the browser market. Finally they put the nail in their coffin when they dropped support for 32-bit Linux. (This computer will run 64-bit Linux but I installed 32-bit in 2014 and see no reason to reinstall anything else until support ends in April (next year)).
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #338
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Nate runs https://the-digital-reader.com/ not the blog you linked. Pretty sure they’re entirely different entities
Different Nate then I guess.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #339
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Kobo Forma video review, in Italian, complete with teardown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnJrtZ8VYaI

Some info:
- Very easy to hold and very light, so much that it "seems fake"; can be held for hours without problems.
- Easy to open, the back snaps off on one side and is glued on the other (as you can see in the video). Has a water-resistant protection coat on the circuitboard inside, and the memory is soldered so it can't be replaced. Also, there's a "honeycomb" metal shield between the board and the screen, which makes it quite resistant.
- The reviewer's opinion "as an expert" (i.e. nitpicky): excellent device, very easy to use with excellent lighting and better than the Aura One (especially for comics reading); the lack of performance upgrade disappointing, for PDF support in particular, which is still lacking compared to the Oasis 2 and should probably been improved considering the larger screen. Praises for the increased "immersion" factor (really easy to lose yourself into the book and "forget" about the reader).
- Battery more or less on the same level as the Aura One: he estimates one week for heavy users (3 hours of usage a day) and 3 weeks for regular users (1/1 and a half hours of usage a day).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #340
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
@mathil

Thanks for the translation/summary of the highlights!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #341
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
mathil,
here he writes that the battery 1500
Quote:
Batteria 1500 mAh
What does it mean?

Kobo website listed 1200
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #342
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
mathil,
here he writes that the battery 1500

What does it mean?

Kobo website listed 1200
He doesn't mention anything in the video, it might be a mistake on his part.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #343
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I used Chrome all the time a few years back — but it kept getting slower and slower. Then they went to a clunkier style display and I moved away from it. And I'm kind of tired of Google taking the lion's share everything, now over 60% of the browser market. Finally they put the nail in their coffin when they dropped support for 32-bit Linux. (This computer will run 64-bit Linux but I installed 32-bit in 2014 and see no reason to reinstall anything else until support ends in April (next year)).

As a Linux user, I'm really surprised you don't support Firefox more, especially with their recent Quantum updates.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #344
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

As a Linux user, I'm really surprised you don't support Firefox more, especially with their recent Quantum updates.
I honestly don't know anything about "Quantum updates." I have the newest version of Firefox installed, but nearly always use Pale Moon, which is based on some version of Firefox (don't know if that includes the Quantum whichmacallits or not), mostly because I don't have to have tabs displayed unless I have more than web site opened up (more room for the web page). It has a cleaner interface than does the newest version of Firefox, in my opinion. Waterfox has a similar interface, but it's only made for 64-bit Linux.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #345
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Just like with the ClaraHD, hdblog.it is the first to give us a good look at the insides.

https://www.hdblog.it/2018/10/20/kob...-ebook-reader/

https://hd.tudocdn.net/799248

If someone can tell me how I can link images but have smaller previews, that'd be cool.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote