Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Rolzup
Rolzup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Simple Touch simply not touching?

My Simple Touch has been doing something weird; I'm taking it to the store today, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Three times now, the touch screen has stopped working. Always in the evening, always in the last 1/4 of a book, and (thus far) always the same author.

I doubt that last is relevant, as that's just who I'm reading right now...but still.

I can still turn pages if I hit the buttons to the sides, but touching the screen only causes the Nook symbol to appear in the upper right corner of the screen. If it goes into sleep mode during this time, it needs to sit for a few minutes before the screen registers my swipe to wake it up.

It will then work fine for a bit, stop again, and maybe work again once I get past a particular section...I've not been as systematic in my observations as I should have been, since I've been busily getting very irritated.

Anyone else run into this problem?
Rolzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolzup View Post
My Simple Touch has been doing something weird; I'm taking it to the store today, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Three times now, the touch screen has stopped working. Always in the evening, always in the last 1/4 of a book, and (thus far) always the same author.

I doubt that last is relevant, as that's just who I'm reading right now...but still.

I can still turn pages if I hit the buttons to the sides, but touching the screen only causes the Nook symbol to appear in the upper right corner of the screen. If it goes into sleep mode during this time, it needs to sit for a few minutes before the screen registers my swipe to wake it up.

It will then work fine for a bit, stop again, and maybe work again once I get past a particular section...I've not been as systematic in my observations as I should have been, since I've been busily getting very irritated.

Anyone else run into this problem?
Clean the gap around the screen where the infrared transmitters and receivers that detect touch are located.
Dirt there, even just a hair, will prevent the screen from working correctly.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Mine did that. VERY annoying. Did it on all different book, I tried a bunch. Hard reset would fix for a bit. It was cleaned, no help. I called, they replaced, no problems. Mine was still under warranty though.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've had the same experience as geertm. Blow some air around the edges of the touch screen to knock loose any hair/dust/anything.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Just to specify, I DID blow air around the edges. This did NOT fix my problem. Mine was defective. Person I talked to at B&N knew about the issue.
No, I'm not saying don't try blowing it out. But if it doesn't fix it at least you know someone else out here has had the problem and it wasn't fixable with a can of air.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Here's a question - high pressure air or just the regular pressure air? If I use they high pressure stuff that we use on our computers will that harm my Nook ST?

We have a cat and cat hairs gets everywhere. I'm constantly blowing at the edges of the screen.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Mine did that. VERY annoying. Did it on all different book, I tried a bunch. Hard reset would fix for a bit. It was cleaned, no help. I called, they replaced, no problems. Mine was still under warranty though.
S
Must be relatively common. I had the same experience -- replaced under warranty.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Rolzup
Rolzup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have a bad habit of forgetting to come back to these threads....

It looks as though it was, in fact, the books. All three were same author/publisher, as I mentioned, and it looks as though there was some weirdness with the books being excessively bookmarked.

Every page for 40 or 50 pages straight had a bookmark on it, not placed by me, and it apparently confused the Nook. Nothing else that I've read, before or since, has had the same effect.

Whether there's any other weirdness in the files, I don't know...and I keep forgetting to check.
Rolzup is offline   Reply With Quote