Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
FNHA
FNHA began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Japanese e-book stores?

Hello, does anyone here know of any online stores that sell Japanese e-books and accept international purchases? The kind I'm looking for specifically is light novels, and those that use Android apps are fine too.

I've tried a few, but Book Walker does not accept my credit card, Kinokuniya requires Japanese mail addresses to register, and Galapagos does not have the books I want. If there are none, does anyone know why the existing stores don't accept credit cards outside of Japan?
FNHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I see you have the Sony PRS-T1, so do I. But I have the Japanese firmware, this lets me connect to Sony's Japanese Bookstore over WiFi. I had no problem registering there with a non-Japanese e-mail address nor problem with using non-Japanese CC.

So you might try loading the Japanese firmware. Should that not be possible it is absolutely no problem registering for a Japanese e-mail address with Yahoo Japan, and then you can buy from Kinokuniya.

PS Ohh, I see this is your first posting. Welcome to Mobileread.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
FNHA

Is it possible to load the Japanese firmware on the English PRS-T1? I don't think I saw any definite details on the device forums, so I didn't dare try.

I do have a Yahoo Japan email, but I think Kinokuniya requires the address that comes with a Japanese phone number (eg @docomo.ne.jp or something similar) as well as a Japanese land address. I could go and check again, but as I remember the last time I tried there were too many required details that I couldn't fake.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Yeah, if they want keitai it is tough. You can always contact them and tell them you don't own one, but that may be another hurdle. It is an insular country, don't you have any friend's number and address you can use. That is usually my last resort.

You could off course also try getting books from Rakuten.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Welcome FNHA. I'm going off the topic a bit. Several years ago we wired some money to a publisher in Japan to order a Japanese magazine. Soon we were told the amount was not enough because their bank deducted several thousand yen as handling fee from the subscription money! We had to call a relative in Japan to do a domestic money transfer to make up the difference. Japan can be a headache when it comes to money transfer.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
FNHA

StoryEnthusiast, yes I'm aware of how painful money transfers can be, being a student studying abroad. All purchases from Japan I've made are through PayPal, and I've never had any problems with it. If I remember correctly, my attempts to use credit cards have always failed, even through big stores like Hobby Search and AmiAmi.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Doesn't Kobo have a japanese store? No idea about how many books they have, though. Or the url.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Have you perhaps tried changing the Region setting in either the Sony reader PC software or on the device to Japan so as to get access to the Sony Japanese store
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
FNHA

I checked Kobo's new Rakuten store, but even though the interface is in Japanese, I couldn't find any Japanese books that I know of there yet. Maybe they started off with nonfiction.

My Reader doesn't have Japan as a region choice. Not surprised, as I'm not running firmware designed to be used in Japan, unless there's a way to bypass that.

Tags
card, credit, ebook, japanese, store