Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
fifth
fifth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How to config calibre when convert Chinese txt to mobi?

My original txt was encoding in ANSI, and I also tried UTF8, UNICODE.
I added that txt into Calibre and converted straight to mobi, however, the resulting mobi was totally unreadable.

1) how to configure Text Input?
2) what encoding of original txt is supposed to be?

Is there any guide?

thx

Last edited by fifth; 10-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.
fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I just tested it now, all I did was save as UTF-8 with a BOM, and it converted just fine to Mobi. The chinese characters displayed perfectly in Kindle for Mac. You should also be able to use ANSI GB2312 or Big5 as well, but you need to specify the input encoding at some point, not sure where. I try to stick with UTF-8.

On what device is it showing up unreadable? Have you confirmed that the device is capable of displaying Chinese?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
fifth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I just tested it now, all I did was save as UTF-8 with a BOM, and it converted just fine to Mobi. The chinese characters displayed perfectly in Kindle for Mac. You should also be able to use ANSI GB2312 or Big5 as well, but you need to specify the input encoding at some point, not sure where. I try to stick with UTF-8.

On what device is it showing up unreadable? Have you confirmed that the device is capable of displaying Chinese?
of course kindle 3

I've tried UTF8 and UTF8 with signature (which is BOM formatted?). Both resulting mobi were basically able to be displayed on k3, but with some unreadable characters, like squares.

I've also found nowhere to specify input encoding in Calibre
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If they were basically readable but only some characters weren't being displayed then it's a Kindle problem, especially if you're seeing squares. It means they don't have those characters in the built in fonts. I'm not sure if there is any way to change the default fonts on the Kindle3, you would need to go to the Kindle sub-forum and enquire there.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifth View Post
I've also found nowhere to specify input encoding in Calibre
Input character encoding is under the Look and Feel section for everything except html which is in the html2zip plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
fifth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
If they were basically readable but only some characters weren't being displayed then it's a Kindle problem, especially if you're seeing squares. It means they don't have those characters in the built in fonts. I'm not sure if there is any way to change the default fonts on the Kindle3, you would need to go to the Kindle sub-forum and enquire there.
built-in font, got it!
Then I came to understand why PDF could be correctly displayed since it got embedded fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Input character encoding is under the Look and Feel section for everything except html which is in the html2zip plugin.
thanks, there it is!
I thought there was supposed to be a drop-down list to select encodings, so I overlooked that little edit
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
allenaxon
allenaxon began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Try to encode in UTF-16, it may be a little better, I had compared it with UTF -8, with an identical raw chinese document, the translation process in Calibre seems to be able to do an almost perfect conversion to EPub format.
allenaxon is offline   Reply With Quote